• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

April meeting at TSM corals!!!

April meeting at TSM corals!!!
Posted by kschweer
1000 Delsea Drive, Unit G-2 Westville, NJ 08093
Saturday, April 30, 2016 - 01:00 PM
Until: Saturday, April 30, 2016 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: America/New_York)

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: America/New_York

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates
Thats a good idea. A little tutorial. You can see that not everyone knows all the coral types, just when the raffle was going on.
Maybe a little segment dedicated to types of corals. Even 15-20 minutes would be cool.
I vote yes too...it would be nice to have a discussion with veterans on how they keep their systems. Kind out a Q & A.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

You guys are welcome to come to my house and we can do some fragging and show you my system and talk about all kinds of corals because I have them all. I am having the July meeting at my house and you are more then welcome to stop down at any time and maybe we can make some fish and coral food too stay tune to see what we are going to do.

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
You guys are welcome to come to my house and we can do some fragging and show you my system and talk about all kinds of corals because I have them all. I am having the July meeting at my house and you are more then welcome to stop down at any time and maybe we can make some fish and coral food too stay tune to see what we are going to do.
Very nice of you Anthony. Anyone in the Mays landing area is welcome to stop by and check the tank out. I'm by far an expert but would be happy to offer what info/help I can.

erics210

NJRC Member
Sadly, I tried being a good tank owner and doing a water change since the rain trapped me in today. BAD decision. I mixed the RO/DI water and salt to just a bit higher SG to raise it up a little as I was under the 1.025 I usually run at...I guess I didnt let mix as well as I should have or the strength difference was too much. I added the 20 gallons into the DT and at the bottom was a 3 inch chalice plate I had and it is now mostly skeleton. The Pink Giniopora colony I pick up yesterday was on that side and has retracted way in and is probably gone as well as one more. Oh the Blue Blastmusso I was so happy to have won. I dont have a before picture of it so not sure how different/bad it looks.

Disgusted with myself and my stupidity!

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
@erics210 first don't beat yuorself up. accidents happen in this hobby. The first SPS I wanted to try and keep was a birdnest. I have gotten two birdnest and both I have killed. My other sps corals are doing fine I just didn't handle these correctly I take.

Question what salinity, in your tank, were you at? What salinity was the 20g at? What is the salinity of your tank now? How are you checking the salinity? What are you using to mix your water?

Accidents do happen and I have had my fair share the big thing is to not get down on yourself, learn from your mistakes, find the cause and answer to the problem and keep on going.
Also remember when bad things happen you have a big community here to lean on.
As we spoke about yesterday when I had a 90gallon tank fall and break while moving I reached out here and within a week a member had a replacement for me. Good luck

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

erics210

NJRC Member
Thanks Scott. NJTiger. Usually salinity at 1.025. This morning I filtered my bottom and pulled about 20 gallons and checked my sg at 1.023ish. I realized after filling with RODI water yesterday I did not check it, so must brought it down a little. I made my mix for about 1.028, but 20 gallons of 1.028, should have little impact overall from when I have done it before. Actually at just a touch over 1.025 now. BUT I think my mistake came during the mixing filling process. I did use the power head to mix it, but actually dumped direct to the Display tank on one side. So anything that wasnt dissolved fell right onto my Chalice, pink ginoporia, and near my blue blast, one of my jason fox frags and new huge hammer colony. They seem to be bouncing back very quickly though.
Very sad regardless. Fingers crossed I didnt screw up the pink Ginoporia and Blue Blasto. The chalice looks toasted, and would be enough to teach me the lesson here. Hoping for the best.

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
Mistakes happen. Sorry that it happen and hopefully things balance out for you

Mistakes happen and I wish you the best. To raise your salinity in the future use salt water for your topoff for a little while until the salinity raises to where you want it. It's more of a gradual change that way.
couldn't had said it better myself lol Adding salt straight to the tank is never a good idea (as I am sure you are aware of). Using power heads to mix water is helpful. I picked up a cheap maxjet power head which I use for my mixing. I let that and my heater run until water reach my display temp. I then check my salinity and adjust if need (which I have down to a science and have not need to adjust)

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
going on mistakes I always say if you don't make mistakes then your not learning.

I made what could had been a big mistake. Living on the 2nd floor of an apartment complex I didn't install my RO/DI system. Each time I need to make water I hook up myself to my bathroom sink. Now I been doing this every other week for over a year. About a month or two ago I was making water and I hear a knock on my door. I opened the door to find my maintenance guy standing there. He asked if my toilet was leaking? I told him not that I was aware of. He then said there was a good amount of water coming down in the apartment below me. We both walked into my bathroom but at first couldn't find anything. No water to be found anywhere. After taking a closer look we discovered that I didn't tighten my hose all the way and there was water shooting back to the faucet, going down the faucet into the cabinet, and then down to the apartment below. Lucky there wasn't any damaged done but now I use my kitchen sink and always make sure its connected tightly

falconut

NJRC Member
As the others have said, we've all made mistakes here. I flooded my living room floor with kalkwater many many years ago. Came down in the morning to a soggy rug. It had to be ripped out, dried out and redone. Luckily homeowners covered most of the damage. I was lucky, my wife wanted to eventually replace the rug. So, we just did it earlier then we planned.

erics210

NJRC Member
I am feeling better now. Before I was soooo down.
The chalice does still have some undamaged tissue. Maybe it bounces back.
Was the Blue Blasto provided by TMS or by a reef club memebr? IF a member, can they provide a photo of what they look like?
Just so I can compare. If that is ok, then if the pink ginoporia opens with lights on in the morning it is just the chalice damaged and I wont feel as bad overall. But still lesson learned.