• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

aquarium center in blackwood NJ

I find their store well stocked with dry goods(both high and low ends on the scale), they have a large selection of fish that are healthy and the prices are reasonable for a LFS, the staff is knowledgeable although difficult to find when busy. The downside is they are an hour away from me and they carry very little sps.

pgordemer

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
They have quite a selection of DryGoods and many of the obscure items not carried by most shops, BUT their Salt prices are out of touch with reality. (69.99 for 160 barrel of Reef Crystals). Not on the floor, but if you ask at the counter, they have things like bulkheads, parts, calibration supplies, etc.

If your an LPS fan, they have quite a bit, but the staff there is a not quite knowledgable about the reef corals themselves. To be fair to their employees, they don't bluff, they say they don't know and attempt to find out. I was impressed on a trip where one of the younger kids went to the books and looked it up. They do know their fish pretty well, their tanks are not overstocked, clean store and they do seperate fish appropriately.

I have never had a problem with them on a SW Fish purchase in my FOWLR years, I don't have enough coral experience to form an opinion of quality yet.

pgordemer said:
To be fair to their employees, they don't bluff, they say they don't know and attempt to find out. I was impressed on a trip where one of the younger kids went to the books and looked it up. They do know their fish pretty well, their tanks are not overstocked, clean store and they do seperate fish appropriately.

This is what I meant by knowledgeable, they have a book right there with all the info you'll need on live purchases and they have no problem using it as a resource.

I'll agree with the above posts. Before I moved from Deptford (10 minutes from them) it was my favorite store bar none. I miss going there.

I will add you'll actually get two different types of employees there. One are the "kids" who don't know the answers but will look them up for you (very nice touch) & the others are very knowledgeable on corals. The owner of the store is a marine biologist and he knows his stuff. I've had many great talks with him over the years. The other person in the store who will fool you is the girl normally found behind the counter. She definitely knows here corals as good if not better then any person I've met anywhere in the local area. It's funny however as she doesn't know nearly as much about equipment so she'll almost always get somebody else to help you in that department if you have a tough question.

As previously said by someone else they don't bluff or pretend to know answers to questions. If they don't know, they will look up the info for you.

Carlo

the reason i brought this topic up is to be honest i work there,,,not tryin to be sneaky or create bad feelings..its good to get both bad feed back and positive ....hopefully i will meet some of u guys when u come into the store,..just to say im not one of those kids that revolve in and out of the store doors...been there about a year and let me tell u its alot easier takin care of them tanks then to start my own, especially a nano...but the only way u learn is through experience right...

talk to u all and lookin forward to meetin u in the future....any request let me know and I will pass it down to Dom.. we are a store that trys and takes care of the customers.

LOL! Was good meeting you last weekend. I'm the one that bought the blue zoas (which was about 4 times as big as I thought it was btw!), and questioned you about what you were treating for with the "blue water". :) Don't forget the frag swap in October! :)

I'm in almost every weekend.

Tell Dom to get more colored zoas! Could stand to see some acros etc in there too. ;D

Seriously, though. I've always had excellent success with Aquarium Center. Been dealing there for more years than I'd like to admit, all the way back to my south american cichlid days when he had to order them for me because they weren't popular enough to stock (that was a long time ago...).

I have a question though. Do you guys have a "usual" delivery day for marine fish and corals?

Hello all,

Just popped in here to add some comments to what I saw in this thread.
First of all, I have been a customer of Dominic's for about 15 years now. I was going to Dom back in the day when Aquarium Center was just starting out with Dominic and Jeff. I have heard over the years that Dom does, in fact, have either a certificate or degree in Marine Biology. He is very knowledgeable with your saltwater questions. However, it's not always easy to "pin him down" long enough to even ask the question. Over the years I have seen an enormous amount of people come and go. The girl Carlo speaks of is Val. Val has been there, so far, the longest (other than Dominic of course). I think Val must have been about 16 years old when she started there. She is very good with certain questions reguarding fish and or corals not to mention that she usually has a smile on her face. Tom (NanoGuy) is relatively new and I have only talked with him a few times so far. (Tom... I am the guy who was in with my wife this past saturday after a wedding recept. I bought a couple of fish and some live brine. You told me about this site when I was in the store that day)(((54 Gallon Corner Tank guy)))

All-in-all.... Aquarium Center has been my main choice of LFS because of the following:
Lack of LFS's in the area
Cleanliness of store
Attitude of workers
Level of knowledge (and honest when there is a lack of knowledge)

I have recently been going to In Living Color in Marlton on route 70. I like this store alot mostly because of the new wave of "overflow tanks". Also, I like to keep a little bit of variety in things.

Oh well, I've went on long enough... I out now

Bye all, Tom see ya next time in the store

Jim

I must say as well that I am very pleased with the store...they have been very helpful in all the area's that one could want...their livestock always looks good and the employees are always helpful..even if it does mean asking somone else...not to mention they remember me...hell..how could you forget a guy with a big zipper tattoo'd on his head ;D

Its a bad shot cause it was JUST finished about 2 min before the pic was taken..but here goes anyway....

zipper.jpg

What was the pain factor in getting that done? How did it compare to other tats you might have?

I can't imagine it felt very good. :)

Carlo

Honestly...the top part of my head wasnt that bad...the back part of my head hurt like hell....compared to my other tats...full rightside ribcage..or my throat...they would have to be the worst ones that I have so far...

Well, NO THANK YOU! I have one on my upper right arm from about 1994. As far as getting my HEAD done.... UMMMMMMM Nope!
I'll stay with the Lick'um - Stick'ums (you know, like the ones you get in a box of Cracker Jacks) ???

yea ac is a pretty good store. i used to work there (was one of those kids looking in the books lol). the one person who i really miss as far as info goes is pat. yea it is very hard to find dom, hes hardly ever there. they take good care of their tanks (i know i used to do it)