• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Aquatic Obsessions In Woodbridge

Haha .. Will even showed me the site a while ago. I just didn't get on here until someone from another Forum said something about you guys raffeling off coral frags ... I got interested fast.

NapoliNewJersey said:
Haha .. Will even showed me the site a while ago. I just didn't get on here until someone from another Forum said something about you guys raffeling off coral frags ... I got interested fast.

Every meeting you will see a lot of them. You will have to come to one and see for yourself.

Sounds great. Which forum do you guys post the meeting info? Also wondering if I have to sign up somewhere with a membership fee or do we just pay to enter the meetings?

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
The current meeting announcement is in the Announcements forum. The RSVP is HERE. We ask everyone who is planning on attending the meeting to RSVP so that we can be prepared for the number of people attending. Our meetings are free (except for special events) and open to the public.

BigRed said:
I was in the store today for the first time. The prices were really nice on a lot of things, and this is the only store with some of the dry goods stuff i like. I was very impressed by the dry stock. Now comes the sad part, the livestock. There weren't any dead fish, thank goodness, but there were several obviously sick fish. The tanks were disgusting. The substrate either covered in brown diatom looking muck, or gloriously green slimy hair algae that seemed to be everywhere. Coral selection was not great, and there were several very dead looking corals apparently still for sale, or at least they were in display tanks with for sale items. The guy (i didn't catch his name) was very nice and helpful. He was curious about my opinion on some new dry goods he just brought into the store and looked up some food I've been looking for for a while.

I'll hope this is just a crazy algae attack or some excusable lack in maintenance and things will improve.

Was there today. As I stated on my review - I think the place has potential since everyone says such great things about the two guys.

The blue/green cyanobacteria is still covering some tank bottoms. It almost looks attractive if you didn't know any better. It's the same stuff you see at the bottom of tanks in petco (at least the ones i've been to).

Bax - I drove right by it even though my gps said to "stop, destination arrived". The sign isn't obvious (white lettering on aqua blue) but once you see it - you won't forget where it is.

Although I spent a good 15 minutes with my girls looking thru - no one approached me. I actually liked that since there isn't the "pressure" sale - but everyone on this forum talks so highly of the staff that I was hoping to talk. Oh well - I plan on being back in the future...as long as I am patient with that cursed route 1 north traffic/construction.

Yeah, the construction traffic on Rt. 1 is horrible. My recommendation is to take Rt.9 north to Rt.1&9 so you can bypass all the traffic by Menlo Park.

Next time your in there introduce yourself and let them know your an NJRC member. They don't pressure you for sales at all but they are more then happy to answer any questions or just BS if they aren't busy.

Treadingwater said:
Yeah, the construction traffic on Rt. 1 is horrible. My recommendation is to take Rt.9 north to Rt.1&9 so you can bypass all the traffic by Menlo Park.

Next time your in there introduce yourself and let them know your an NJRC member. They don't pressure you for sales at all but they are more then happy to answer any questions or just BS if they aren't busy.

Heck, they spend more time telling me what i should NOT get rather than what I should.

magic

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I'm a novice on reef tanks and Will of AO took the time to explain the do's and don'ts on fish and coral choices. Prices are reasonable. Shop has only been in business for a short time.

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
magic said:
I'm a novice on reef tanks and Will of AO took the time to explain the do's and don'ts on fish and coral choices. Prices are reasonable. Shop has only been in business for a short time.

Hi Magic.

4.gif
to NJRC!

Treadingwater said:

Thanks for the tip...I'm on the other side of route 1 though so I will likely take 27 north. It's slow on 27 too but doesn't feel as bad as route 1. Yes - will definitely go and talk to them next time (maybe when I don't have my girls). I turned my head and my 15 month old was walking around with a net eyeing the small kois/goldfish. Lol.

Magic - welcome! Be warned, the hobby is addictive! ;D

Had one of these guys out to the house. Very knowledgeable and friendly. Trying a few tweeks on the tank to get things a little more reliable and stable. So far so good. Nice suggestions. Did the work while I was away on vacation.

These guys are for real and hopefully will be very successful.

This place is probably the best in NNJ. I always seem to find forum members there most of the time. Super friendly staff, great livestock everything is very healthy and they have lots of choices for corals, fish and even fresh water fish.

I recently bought a Tiny Blue tang and it was being chased around my tank by a Maroon Clown so I emailed them and they allowed me to "upgrade" the fish for a larger specimen... how much nicer can they be!

I live in Union near RT22 and there are 4-5 LFS stores by me ... but I find myself driving to down to Avenel to their store more often now.

+1 I live in Union as well and dont mind making the trip to avenel because i always find what im looking for at AqOb. All the livestock is very healthy as well as diverse. The owners not too shabby either.. J/K Will is the best 8)

Seems like Aquatic Obsessions was pretty busy for mid-week fish shopping! I stopped by for the first time myself today, really nice place - Wil and I chit chatted for a while and I was pleasantly surprised to hear that he had visited MY site! I was about to "show off" my FishCam and he had said he'd already visited my site a few times ... that was sorta fun to hear (I thought *I* was the only one who visited Sandeeland!).

Nice place, nice selection of fish - great inventory of odd ball plumbing parts ... the stuff you can't get at Home Depot, for example.

Nice to have met you Wil - see you again soon! I have my eye on that "fish with the red stripe" :)