• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

AriMiko's 300DD Upgrade

Hello everyone, I would like to share with you all my 300 gallon upgrade build. I recently had a Oceanic 156 gallon tank which measured 60"w x 24"d x 25"h. I broke the tank down about 2 weeks ago and moved all livestock into 2 holding tanks that have been set up for a while, a 80 gallon frag tank and a 65 gallon RR which are both plumbed on the same sump.

This past weekend I worked on the stand and got a decent amount done with the help of a coworker. We worked day and night to get where I am at now. I built the stand out of a 2x4 bottom and a 2x6 top which measures 74"w x 38". We then supported each corner with two 2x6's which are backed by 2x4's. I then added a 2x6 offset from the center of the stand which is also backed by a 2x4 since I want 2 big doors on the left and 1 on the right. I wrapped the whole stand in 3/4" maple and I'm going to finish it with a high gloss black finish with numerous coats of polyurethane. The stand measures 36" high since it will have all equipment in the stand. I wanted it high for skimmer clearance and ease to work inside.

I will document all my work that is done from this day forward. I would appreciate any advice and compliments given. Ok so, on to the build....

Equipment

Tank - Marineland 300DD 3 sided starphire w/corner overflows
Stand - Custom black maple 74" x 38" x 36"
Lighting - DIY led fixture 60 RB & 36 CW with 2 48" t5's and 2 60" t5's
Sump - 80 gallon frag tank
Vertex 7" filter sock holder
Skimmer - SWC 230
Refugium - 29 gallon high
Pump - Reeflo dart
Apex controller
MTC Pro Cal reactor
2 TLF 550 reactors [Carbon & Gfo]
Two vortech mp40's
Two Jabeo Wp-60's
Two Jabeo Wp-40's

Environment

Mixed reef
300 lbs Tropic Eden Reefflakes
150-200 lbs of Marco,Pukani,Shelf & Branch rock [Going for a open look]

IMG_6664.jpgIMG_6671.jpgIMG_6672.jpgIMG_6675.jpgIMG_6678.jpgIMG_6679.jpgIMG_6697.jpgIMG_6700.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_6657.jpg
    IMG_6657.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_6673.jpg
    IMG_6673.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 97
Looks great, why did you decide to use maple if you are going to paint it? I have a much smaller project but hope it comes out as nice as yours.

Wow you built that quick...lol
Looking good
Lmao, We worked hard after you left here. Thank you

Looking good over there.
Thank you

looks great ari!!!!
Thank you

Wow that is going to be one deep tank! Nice:)
Yup, a full 3 feet =). Thanks

Looks great, why did you decide to use maple if you are going to paint it? I have a much smaller project but hope it comes out as nice as yours.
I used the maple because I want a nice smooth glassy finish. I didn't want a wood with knots or grooves in it. Thank you for the compliment, I'm sure you will do a great job.

Here is a preview of my aquascaping. I gave these rocks a muriatic acid bath last year and had them soaking in ro/di for months. I also used marco mortar mix to bond them together in sections, so I will know how to put them in the tank once set up. The left side is about 5 sections, the middle is all 1 section and the right is 4 sections. The tallest height of the rocks are about 16-17" so it will give me plenty of open space up top. I am also going to set all rock on egg crate cut out to match the rocks. The reason I am doing that is so the rock will sit above the sandbed and not on the glass bottom.

Attachments

• Rocks.jpg
    Rocks.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 33
  • Rocks2.jpg
    Rocks2.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 34
Very nice looking ... great idea to put it out on a table first.
FYI I used two cutting boards(obviously not wood ones :D) instead of egg crate but same idea. Made me feel a lot more secure.

The rock work looks great. Looking forward to seeing it in the tank. The 3 foot depth really does open up the aquascaping options.

I got around to painting the frame of the stand. I coated it with 2 coats of Kilz2 latex and then 2 coats of ultra pure white high gloss. I am working on the outside face and top which are being painted a high gloss black. Here are a few pics.

Gravity fed fuge? Nice. I had something similar on my old 120. How will you drain into it? I recommend a t off one of the drains. Don't direct one drain into the fuge and the other into the sump.

Gravity fed fuge? Nice. I had something similar on my old 120. How will you drain into it? I recommend a t off one of the drains. Don't direct one drain into the fuge and the other into the sump.

I was going to tee of the return manifold and control it to a slow flow with a valve. It will then overflow the fuge and drain into the skimmer area of the sump.

I got around to painting the stand but I still have to finish the doors. I also added the sand and aquascape. I am currently working on the sump which should be ready by the weekend. I am starting to fill it up since it will take a few days.