• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Back from MACNA!!

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
WOW!! What a weekend! We had such a great time. It was great to be able to spend the weekend chatting with and getting to know our fellow club members better. For those of you who were not able to make this one you really missed a great event.

Lunch Saturday we had 18 people at our table, including two gentlemen from overseas and Anthony Calfo and his wife. It was a really good time and the food (Legal Seafood) was excellent!

Dinner Saturday Night at the Gala was fabulous also. We were 12 at our table and enjoyed the company of Joe & John from Northeast Aquatics. At the table next to us were another six of us (the tables only held 12 people, unfortuantely, but at least we got seats close together).

During our stay I met many of our industry's top retailers, introduced myself and told them of all the great things coming for our club in the near future. Many of them spoke with me about visiting us at upcoming meetings, sponsorships and donations. I was able to come home with many things for the club and many many promises of great things to come!

• Dr Mac & Crew donated a fabulous selection of acros frags for our raffles
  • Champion Lighting donated a PH meter and a book
  • Ocean Nutrition donated food samples to us
  • EchoTech Marine has an exciting new product on the horizon
  • Tropic Marin donated many items including salt samples, test kits and additives
  • SeaChem donated a bag of Salt mix and is anxious to speak with us to see what they can do for the club
  • Instant Ocean donated several samples of Reef Crystals salt
  • NoSickFish.com donated samples of two of their products
  • The guys from the Seio booth donated 2 T5 bulbs to us

The following vendors would like us to follow up with them
  • Two Little Fishes would like to speak with us about sponsorship
  • ThatFishPlace.com would like to speak with us about sponsorship
  • Ice Cap would like to speak with us about sponsorship
  • Deltec is very interested in making a donation

But the Coup of the weekend was the end of the show!
  • Spikey: A Friend of his won a tank (www.oceanimage.net) and since he builds tanks he didn't need it they have passed this 30g tank and stand along as a donation. Thank you both!
  • in the process of emptying out that 30g we were given another 30g tank for our raffle by another vendor
  • TheTiler: Jason won several things at the Sea Dwelling Creatures Clearance Raffle that he passed along to the club for raffle including a book, additives, and more! Thank you JASON!
  • RichT: Won a Whisper filter small in one of the raffles that he donated to the club! Thanks, Rich!
  • Phyl: Won several items at the Sea Dwelling Creatures Clearance Raffle including additives, tank cleaner magnet and a CHILLER that have been donated to the club for raffles.

Overall a very successful trip for the club in many many regards. We've gotten a first hand look at what it takes to put on a WORLD CLASS MACNA event. WAMAS did a phenomenal job getting speakers together for us, the gala was wonderful and the event appeared to be a smashing success. Thanks WAMAS. They have set the standard and I hope to be able to follow suit in upcoming years when we try our hand at hosting MACNA.

I have many many pictures as do a number of our other attendees. I can't wait to get them posted! Unfortunately you will all have to wait until tomorrow *yawn*!

C

concept3

umm Phyl, please tell me more about the 30 gallon tanks :) Pretty please.

Definately a fun weekend....  

You know the partiers are SERIOUS when they bring their OWN blender!  LOL....

FYI Phyl, Thats Anth's g/f Kelly, he's not married yet!  LOL

I enjoyed the weekend quite a bit, and it felt like I was being tugged in every possible direction..  Between the NJRC in attendance, and my fellow RC mods and staffers, a good time was had by all for sure!  Heck, when hotel management has to tell you to quiet down not once, but twice, you KNOW we were having a blast..

I gotta follow up with SDC still, re: our unresolved issue, but according to Mark (sharks) its all under control, more details to follow on that soon enough!

See, I TOLD you guys you had to go, and I'm sure none of you regret it...  You get to meet all kinds of people..

Oh, also, Phyl, we should follow up with Roger Vitko of Tunze, he said he'd send a few things our way (the display stuff he had all went to WAMAS obviously)...

Now you all know why I look forward to these things so much..  All of your online friends in one place..  I finally got to meet Melev and Tippytoex as well :)  Its amazing how your online friendships just transfer and when you meet in person its like you have known each other for years...

Hope the RC staff didn't scare you too much!

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Our "30"g tanks are as follows:
29g 30x19x12
31.8 36x17x12 comes with black stand

Neither of the tanks are RR.

And you're right, Erik, it is amazing how it all transfers and you feel like you've known each other forever! It was a wonderful time and very productive for the club. I'm really glad I was able to represent NJRC and let the "World" know what we're doing and the progress we've made.

The clowns are in their new homes. Water came in at 1.030 so take care on the acclimation.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
concept3 said:
what?  you couldn't see that? 

Oh I saw it alright! So you want me to take an hour to download and reduce all of the pictures that I took after going to sleep at 2 and getting up at 6:30...?! I need some sleep. You'll get some pics tomorrow! Promise!!

C

concept3

how about now? huh? huh?

I need a new job so I can go to these things..... :(

Phyl said:
The clowns are in their new homes. Water came in at 1.030 so take care on the acclimation.

I drip anyway, do you use a refractometer? My bag was 1.025, my system here 1.024 (refractometer calibrated with RO/DI last week).. The pH was more of a concern for me, my lights are on, pH is higher, the bags were dark for 6 hours, pH is lower...

My little guy seems to be missing both cheek spines!!! I pm'd marina about it, she offered a refund and I said don't worry, if he survives, all is good.. Just kinda odd seeing him with partially missing gill covers?!? She said that one was the "third wheel" with her maroon pair, so it might just need some time to heal.. Fingers are crossed!

momof6kids

NJRC Member
Hey Phyl, You have to take into account us poor saps who didn't even get to go.  At least you have the memories; we have nothing.  Therefore we NEED your pictures to at least give us a glimpse of the fun we missed.   :p

For some of us, the pics tend to be the memories... LOL... lots of alcohol was consumed, do not forget that aspect...

;)

I brought my camera and took TWO friggin pics! DOH!@ I am so horrible with that...

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I would also like to add that I had a wonderful time and kudos to WAMAS. I got to meet and have several conversations with Anthony Calfo, Marc Levenson, the majority of the staff, including the owner of Reef Central, (thanks, Erik - BTW RC staffers, what happened in DC stays in DC......right!!!! ;D ) and Julian Sprung and many of the other leading figures in the hobby.
I would also like to bring it to everybody's attention that the entire time Phyl was there she was there in the name of the club. We should all be very proud of our President in her unselfish and tireless endeavors to promote NJRC this weekend to basically show to the country we are a viable, strong and great group of people to be associated with. Sure, Larry, Jason and myself (sorry if I missed anyone who made donations) made donations to the club, but it was nothing in comparison to what our President has done for us. From soliciting possible sponsors, donations, speakers, and so on, she worked her butt off!!!!. I'm sure everyone realizes that 1/4 chiller is worth a considerable amount of money. I would bet that after shipping, the chiller that Phyl has donated would cost over $600. I don't think that a whole lot of us would have followed in her foot step and donated it to the club, with out hesitation, after winning it in a raffle she had personally entered. Most likely, and I realize I'm painting with a broad brush, most of us would have had it posted on eBay or in the dry goods forums on RC had we won and not needed it. Not our President.......we have a good one people. Having said all that and in light of her seemingly unfathomable dedication and commitment to the club, I feel she should be personally rewarded for her actions. I hereby motion that the membership of NJRC, by way of a withdraw from the club funds available in our account, reimburse Phyl for the Admission and Gala event costs for the weekend. 

Thanks Phyl  :-* !!!!!!!!

I completely agree with Rich! Phyl was like a well-oiled machine chugging away and without a doubt has done and continues to do great things for us. Without hessatation thinking of the club the whole way! Thanks Phyl for all you are doing.

nagel said:
I brought my camera and took TWO friggin pics!  DOH!@  I am so horrible with that...

LOL! Me too. A whole 2 pics over the weekend. I’m still here now. It took a while to break down the booth and as usual it was a mad dash to the end fragging.
I will call this week and hammer out the details on the SDC thing.
No worries though. We will be fine.

It was a great event and I’m so happy to see all the sponsors supporting NJRC.
Most of the weekend was a blur. Especially Friday night. My only problem was it didn’t stop there and by the end I now need a vacation from this vacation :D

Here are som pictures
Sanjay
DSC00821.jpg

DSC00824.jpg

Dr Frag  LOL
DSC00829.jpg

AKA Dr Mac   ;D
DSC00831.jpg

Do u have 60K for this ?
DSC00832.jpg

Anthony Calfo
DSC00862.jpg

Here is a new toy, it's not out yet but it's cool!
DSC00865.jpg

Deltec (Phil do u think they will donate this one) :p
DSC00870.jpg

Bubble King
DSC00871.jpg

This is Erik owner of http://fragfarmer.com/
oh man why did u turn around !
DSC00872.jpg

This is not a sun coral.
DSC00879.jpg

The Man of the hour !!!!!!!
This is where Phil won the chiller.