• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Basement Fish Room Plans

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
For discussion:
The only thing I'm seeing as a problem so far is accessing the filter socks in the table sump. I may put them in the floor sump.

FishRoom2.jpg

Very exciting Rich. Can't wait to help spend your money.

Is that what you will look like when the move is completed?

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I forgot to draw the display return line. It will be going up behind the wall behind the guy somewhere.

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Google Sketch Up Mike.
Doesn't take long to learn. Not nearly the power of AutoCadd but much easier for a quick drawing.

I think socks preskimmer so that means up on the table.
I could try to show it graphically on your depiction but that may include "rounded-out" sections of your diagram that you didn't show.

Very nice layout..what is the size of the total space and what is the round thing behind the sump on the floor?

RichT said:
That's the Hammerhead return pump.

Rich,

I was always told you shouldn't go less than 10" before making a bend, reduction, T, or anything like that from a return line. Maybe it's just the illustration but keep that in mind when you're plumbing.

Rotate the table sump so the socks are to the front for better access and use a length of flex on the return to feed the socks.

I think the people component may need to be stretched horizontally (around the middle) a wee bit. ;D

I would:
1. Make the door swing out instead of in.
2. Raise the frag tank up and extend the sump the full width of the room below the frag tank.
3. Make the pump more accessible so it's easier to clean.

SW mix is behind the door. How are you going to move that water into sump? Assuming that the room is not already built and the door is already there where it is, I would swap it with the SW mix tank, and place it in the corner. But then it also depends how you gona place the feed lines to and from RO/DI container. Hmmm. Are they going to be fed from the front wall? Is that where you are going to place the RO/DI unit? Or on the back wall where the sink is?

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Jcurry@wesketch said:

How about a pocket door? Those come in really handy when the door swing would be obtrusive in either direction.

Phyl said:
Jcurry@wesketch said:

How about a pocket door? Those come in really handy when the door swing would be obtrusive in either direction.

I like these but I think the fire marshal only lets you put them in specific places.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
We put one in a basement in our old house without any problems from the inspectors. What experience did you have with them?

Phyl said:
We put one in a basement in our old house without any problems from the inspectors. What experience did you have with them?

It was in FL so it may be very different but they said you can only put one in if there is another exit other than that.

I like these but I think the fire marshal only lets you put them in specific places.

Sounds like you wanted to put a door between the required egress window and something else in a bedroom. There aren't any restrictions on pocket doors by themselves. It usually involves issues with egress during a fire.

Just beware pocket doors are a PIA to open & close. I think Rich would have a tough time getting that paw to work the door hardware.