• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Best Horror Movie of all time?

Hell raiser,exorcist for sure...but for its time when I was a kid(13)it was texas chainsaw massacre and to think it was based on actual true events was even creepier

that is not a silent movie. I am old but not that old.
Bad enough I am going to a grandpa next year and I am a few years shy of 50.

Ok, so the first "talkie", Dracula, with Bela Lugosi in 1931, but even that's older than me. You must've seen a re-run.

Does sci fi count as horror? If it does I would like to add the first Alien movie to the list. The shining is a great movie. The Thing (remake) was also a good one. There were so many great movies when you are younger. Movies have so much more impact at those ages.

howze01

NJRC Member
Eh, my vote for Godzilla (1954) is pretty borderline. In Japan it was probably more of a horror movie then it was over here.

Aliens was great and so was 2010 a Space Odessey.

I've got to see Evil Dead and I just got Army of Darkness on DVD.

I couldn't watch Texas Chainsaw Massacre I had to turn it off in the middle. That movie was nasty.

The_Codfather

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Ok, so the first "talkie", Dracula, with Bela Lugosi in 1931, but even that's older than me. You must've seen a re-run.
bela_lugosi.gif

Discovery Channel...

talk to me after you have seen.. Natural Child Birth

oh and Teeth. and Silent Hill. that movie is so disturbing.

i have updated my avatar to show gene hackman's hand laddling soup into peter boyle's lap! Hahah.

i agree with steamman- alien was great considering you barely saw the alien at all. Similar to the "the thing" in that respect -excellent acting - minimal special effects (and NO CGI). Although the shining still scared the bleep out of me. RedRum!!!!!

The ring and the ring 2 are great horror movies. Definitely my favorites. Awesome story line and really suspenseful. These two are a must see.

I am probably the only person here that has seen this - but an old japanese fantasy flick (4 short stories) in 1964 called Kwaidan? It's all in japanese (subtitles). I actually enjoyed it as the movie is based on fairy tales (told by the japanese). Supposedly grandparents told stories to the kids etc.

Anyways the one about the blind monk was interesting to me. While the ending was obvious (given the title) the idea that a blind person would be talking/interacting with ghosts is something that would freak me out in it's plausibility. The fact that the ghosts represent an entire generation/culture of people who mass-killed themselves after losing a naval battle is a separate story. Lots of foreshadowing lead up to the climax. The other story about snow woman and Black Hair's ending were equally interesting.

the movie is a lot less about pure horror (blood/guts) and more suspense and visual beauty. yes there are stretches of boredom and the last story about a cup of tea is flat out baffling.

btw - for you movie buffs the head monk in the movie is the same guy who is the head samurai in akira kurwasawa's "seven samurai" - which was the basis for the Magnificent Seven with yul brynner/steve mcqueen.