• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Best mp40 mode for sps

I have a 40 in my 80g frag tank and it is not at full speed. If I turned it up, it would blow my frag racks all over the place and probably pin the fish to the opposite wall. I ran a mp40 on my 205 before I got the mp60 and it did a very admirable job in there.

Hahaha thatd be quite a site. Okay well great that's good news. Will the single powerhead create enough varying flow for the sps? I guess I can't grasp the.design until I see it.img action but I'm so use to the koralias that just push water.in one direction

First off the MP40 has a glass thickness setting, so that’s taken care of. Just make sure you set the thickness for your glass. If it’s in between, go for the thinner setting.

But more importantly, with an MP40 in a 40 breeder, that thing will never get close to running at 100%. Mike said 50% (at best).....I say definitely less. That will definitely cut down on the noise (and life of the bearings.)

Having done bearing replacements in an MP10, I am now convinced that the problem with all Vortechs are the radial bearings. Radial bearings handle forces in a radial direction. The problem is that there are also lateral forces on these bearings. They are not designed to take lateral forces….. And therein lays the problem. It would be nice if you could get tapered rolling bearings for these things.

Paul, my company sells tapered roller bearings I could check with the sales guys if you give me specs on what you want to try out :)

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Paul, my company sells tapered roller bearings I could check with the sales guys if you give me specs on what you want to try out :)

They are real small....and if I remember, for MP10, they are 7mm x 14mm x 5mm......common use is for a fishing reel.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
What makes the vortechs great is their crazy flow. You will be just fine with it and really impressed with the flow and undertow you get in the tank.

They are loud. I have 2 mp40 and one mp60 on my tank. So it is an acquired taste. The mp60 at 100% is like a jet that is sitting on the runway and would just not take off ;) :) :)

They are loud, that is for sure! I just replaced by mine with 3 6105 tunze stream pumps. So far I love them! They were sloshing water out of my tank :D and are very quiet.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

When you get the mp 40 it will have a space that the dry side goes into. You just need to measure the thickness of the glass and line the power cord up in the proper location.

Just be careful after adjusting the thickness, when u line it back up with the pins make sure its lined up good cause they bend easy

Holy polyp extension Batman!

This thing is awesome, a little late to the game but wow. It's super super quiet too so that's great, I can't even hear it. Very happy