• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Better than RO water!

Hey everyone,

Its been a little while since I have posted but I have some pretty cool news for you. I just started a new job with a company called Exquisite Home Products. They sell like heath and better living stuff. But one of the things that really caught my eye was their water filtration. So I figured I would look into it more and after doing so I thought that you guys might like to know a little more about it.

Mostly everyone is using R/O water for their tanks, R/O does remove alot of bad stuff from water but it also removes good and healthy minerals too. The filters my company offers are designed to target specific things in water that you would not want.

The filter is 3 stage and ill pretty much right down what my book says on it.

Step 1:
Unique 0.2 Sub Micron Silver Impregnated Ceramic is NSF certified. It will stop particle's that are 500 times smaller than a strain of human hair such as:
-cryptosporidum
-Giardia Lamblia cysts
-e Coli
-Salmonella
Step 2:
Water filters through the NSF certified inner core activated carbon block. This high quality long lasting coconut shell carbon is impregnated with special lead removal media and provides the highest possible level of contaminate removal. It is equivalent to approximately 300,000 square yards of media. This removes:
-lead
-mercury
-cadmium
-THM's Chlorine
-Chloroform
-Sulfides
-Pesticides
-Herbicides
-VOC's
-Bad color
-Bad odor
-MTBE and BTEX
----(petroleum and crude oil by products)
Step 3:
Ultra filtering stage contains a special compressed carbon designed to remove and possible remaining contaminants giving you fresh, pure water.

That's really the overview of it. They sell whole house units and also units that work with the tap. If enough people are interested or if anyone is interested pm me I can set up a meeting and show you the products. Mabye I could even do a presentation for everybody during a meeting. Just thought I would throw the idea out there for you guys in case anybodys interested. =)

oh and everything they sell has lifetime warrenty and they have like a matinence program which changes the filters and stuff for you when the time comes. and its free installation. lol =D

radiata

NJRC Member
It it removed nitrates and phosphates I'd agree with you. Until it does, I think RO water is a better choice...

I just spoke with my manager it removes 100% of nitrates and she is reasearching to double check on the phosphates but shes like 80% sure it does

ok so our water purification units basically include all the stages in an ro unit at higher grades. and for that reason they are capable to do more.

radiata

NJRC Member
Your description of the unit indicates two kinds of carbon and some small micron filtration. I've never heard of carbon filtration removing either nitrates or phosphates from water. If it did, we would all be filtering our tank water with it, wouldn't we?

radiata

NJRC Member
It uses a reverse osmosis membrane. Quoting from Wikipedia: "It works by using pressure to force a solution through a membrane, retaining the solute on one side and allowing the pure solvent to pass to the other side. This is the reverse of the normal osmosis process, which is the natural movement of solvent from an area of low solute concentration, through a membrane, to an area of high solute concentration when no external pressure is applied." For more info on RO, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reverse_osmosis.

Can't wait till theres just somethin you add to your tap water and it's ready, instead of the old RO. The RO 's been around so long, I'm waiting for somethin new

My ro has two solid block carbon filters which I am guessing are the same ones in your system. The only difference with yours is the high density ceramic block. You said that yours is a .2 micron filter which is probably great for most drinking water applications. Viruses can be as small as .02 microns so they wouldn't be removed along with other minerals that are smaller than .2 microns. The big difference and the reason for RO is that the membranes are 0.0005 microns in size so the rejection rate is a lot better. That is the difference.

This product seems interesting. I would think it would be great for drinking water. In my home, we use RO water for drinking, coffee, etc. I would not recommend drinking water that has gone through DI. Although it won't really harm you, the DI stage of the units we use on are tanks is the final polishing step to remove minerals and such. Our bodies do still need some minerals. So a taste here and there is fine, but I would not drink it long term. I agree with Bob, carbon is not the media of choice for the removal of nitrate and phosphate. Although it may remove some, I've never heard of carbon that removes 100% of nitrates. Carbon is typically used for odor, color and taste. There are ion exchange resins that the spefically target the removal of nitrate, and we use them in municipal water treatment systems that the company I work for designs. We also have resins that remove arsenic and phosphate but I've been leary on trying them on my tank. I shouldn't be that leary though...if the water is ok to drink, it should be ok for the fish and corals. I would be interested in listening to a presentation or look at some literature. All the nasty stuff you listed are things we really don't want in our drinking water so I wonder if the 3 stage filtration your describing would be a good replacement for the 3 stage units that are ahead of our RO/DI units. It seems like the water would be much cleaner before it gets to the RO stage and because of that my prolong the life of the RO membrane. Sorry for the long winded reply, but when I get on the "water" topic I start to ramble :)

The units are actually made for ultra purified water for uses for drinking cooking laundry and other applications like that, but i just figured the unit seems to remove so much it would work great for an aquarium application. It would definitally prolong filters in an r/o unit if you were using the purified water and then tried to make it basically super purified. I have been speaking to my managers and stuff about it and compairing thier filters to r/o units and she said that I should definitally make a presentation to really explain what the filters do. but if anyone is really interested just pm me we can set up something.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
The thing missing completely is the DI stage from what I see here. Also, what is the TDS of the water coming out of the filter? What is that TDS comprised of? While this is probably fine for home use for the average Joe, personally I'll stick with something that can give me 0 TDS water for aquarium use. That way I know what's in it... and what isn't.

malulu

NJRC Member
is this some type of device to target on "replacing" the water softener? if yes, i would be very interested... the water softener we use right now have a salty taste... and my wife and kids hate it!

malulu said:
is this some type of device to target on "replacing" the water softener? if yes, i would be very interested... the water softener we use right now have a salty taste... and my wife and kids hate it!

Actually yes the whole house units the company makes have a salt free stage that softens water. A magnetic system actually pulls molecules apart in water which keeps in minerals that are good for you but makes the water softer.

malulu

NJRC Member
what is the EST total cost for a normal house? may be we can schedule some thing on this upcoming meeting for a presentation?
thx

Edwardw771

NJRC Member
Is this thing certified by any aquarium exports to be safe for our tanks?- I'd like to see 2 water samples one using RO and one using this sent to a place like aquariumwatertesting.com. (Of course the beginning water would need to be the same source.)

The TDS issue is also a concern. Remember the life of these animals is in our hands.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Dave, while this is interesting from a whole house perspective, our meetings are geared towards reef related items. Until we see verifiable test results that give us zero TDS water I'm not inclined to have a presentation at a meeting.

malulu

NJRC Member
Phyl said:
Dave, while this is interesting from a whole house perspective, our meetings are geared towards reef related items. Until we see verifiable test results that give us zero TDS water I'm not inclined to have a presentation at a meeting.

understood.
thx

Edward771 said:
Is this thing certified by any aquarium exports to be safe for our tanks?- I'd like to see 2 water samples one using RO and one using this sent to a place like aquariumwatertesting.com. (Of course the beginning water would need to be the same source.)

The TDS issue is also a concern. Remember the life of these animals is in our hands.

Out of my own curiousity and for the company as well I am going to be sending water out for a testing to a site like aquariumwatertesting.com
I will get it done soon as possible and will be posting the test results as soon as I get them.