• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Controllers

So I'm in the market for a controller finally. First, I am pretty dumb when it comes to programming things. I like easy. Second, ATM I only need to control my heater, lights(on/off), dosers, and want to keep temp readings. I have vortechs so they control themselves and I also already have a ATO with dual switch so I don't need to control that either. I don't plan on upgrading my tank for at least a couple of years and when that happens Its almost definitely a 200DD. So at that time I expect to add a calcium reactor, not before then.

So with all that said, I am really leaning towards the Apex Jr. I like the ability of working off my smart phone and not having to add a module to do that. Also because I'm not gonna be controlling a ton of things it just seems like the best bang for the buck. What suggestions do all of you have. Thanks in advance.

John, you're welcome to check mine out in action & play with some buttons. I just got some coral & fish moved over into the 90 last night. The only thing I don't have is the net module, so no smart phone control. if I had gotten the elite instead of the lite I might have done that, but i like the modules I have running now(SL1, MLC, 2x PC4)

Last edited:
i have the reef angel and at first i was like wtf but once i found the wizard its super easy to do.....and possiblities are endless. im pretty sure the initial kit and wifi expansion will be cheaper then neptune and you can always upgrade to do more. i would suck to buy the jr then 3 months be like wish i would of where the ra is always upgradeable

Another Reef Angel user here and very happy with it. The setup wizzard does make it easy to tweak but with what you are looking to do that may not even be necessary. You'll need to get the wifi module to have remote access on your phone. I'd also recommend getting the plus model with the extra memory in case you do decide that you want to do more with it. You can check out mine if you like.

ecam

President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Another Reef Angel user here and very happy with it. The setup wizzard does make it easy to tweak but with what you are looking to do that may not even be necessary. You'll need to get the wifi module to have remote access on your phone. I'd also recommend getting the plus model with the extra memory in case you do decide that you want to do more with it. You can check out mine if you like.

+1.... I love the Reef Angel... Coding is a pain... But there is plenty of help avaiable on the reef angel forum and locally as well

I'm an ApeX guy. I have a 90 and was going to go with the Jr. I ended up getting the full version with an extra EB8. I am glad I went with the full version. It has made everything so smooth and I love being able to check on the tank with my phone. I find myself sitting in meetings checking the temp./ph/ORP etc just to see whats going on.

Thanks guys. Im gonna rethink the apex JR after reading that link Kevin. As for the Reef Angel, while Ive read many good things, Im just not savy enough to program that thing. To be honest I'll probably have a problem with the apex as it is and its supposed to be easier. I was thinking the Jr and then buying the eb8 to go along with it but I can just get the Lite for almost the same $

kevin

NJRC Member
Thanks guys. Im gonna rethink the apex JR after reading that link Kevin. As for the Reef Angel, while Ive read many good things, Im just not savy enough to program that thing. To be honest I'll probably have a problem with the apex as it is and its supposed to be easier. I was thinking the Jr and then buying the eb8 to go along with it but I can just get the Lite for almost the same $

I am not good with programming. I either searched or just asked on reefcentral. 2 of the same guys always respond to help out

Fish Brain

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I have Reef Keepers on all my tanks. Not too hard to program from the head unit but the PC software makes it easy to do updates and program the modules from a laptop.

kevin

NJRC Member
You can now hook up most webcams to the APEX webpage interface. I just checked mine & for some reason all my icons are moved around!

But to get an idea;
(my camera is not supported because it's HD)

apex-1.jpg

After much research today while at work, and the 2 screen shots above Im pretty much sold on the apex. I was leaning towards the Jr version, but after adding a 8plug I might as well just go with the lite. Just have to save up a bit more.

Speaking of screen shots... How do you get them to be full page like Kevin's and not the little tab thing you click on?

(Sorry to hijack your thread)

I usually put all my pics on photobucket. Then just cut and paste the image link. I use the phone app when i take pics on the phone, much easier.

The last thread like this, I recommended Apex. I have one, a reef friend down the street has one. I have recommended it in the past. I had an issue with it resetting, and he had the same issue. Resetting as in: it loses all programming and resets back to defaults, so if outlet 1 was your heater and default is a return pump, your heater comes on at 100% and you notice when your tank is cooked. The reset clears all your programming, even clearing any programs you might have to warn you of high temps, etc.

I haven't replaced my system, it still controls everything. My friend took everything manual, making his apex a glorified parameter monitor. According to Neptune, the issues we saw were 1 in 100... Which seems unlikely since we both saw them. They are good on service. I had an issue with a new module, and they connected in and fixed on a Saturday within 45 minutes. Kind of a wash. They don't have a good bug tracker or community outreach. They just pulled their forum from reef central (which they weren't active on) to their private site (also not active on)

Don't really know how to rate Apex right now. I have 28 outlets, multiple expansion modules... I'm pretty invested. If this new firmware works out and I don't get any more full resets... But the new firmware is giving me a blank screen (common on the forums) and they haven't responded. Reef keeper seems like it might be the winner after all, even though the Apex has better hardware. The apex software kind of sucks.