• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

coraline algae color

what controles the color of the stuff i have Sean it from white to green to pink to maroon? Is their different types or is it different water or rock born compounds? Is their a way to ensure growing a certain color?

only have purple on my glass & rock, but some of my snails have hot pink to dark maroon on their shells, i dont get it either. i never heard of any method to growing specific colors. i am guessing the color of the coraline correlates to the kelvin rating of your bulbs, then again maybe not. some help i am. time for bed i think.

Bryan,

It depends where the rock came from and whether or not you have that particular species of coralline in the tank. I had mostly pink and maroon. Bought a ton of new rock and new growth was mostly fluorescent green. The only way to guarantee a certain color would be:

Start with dead rock.
Ask friend to scrape you the color you want and make sure only those shavings are introduced into the tank.
Remove all other coralline from new corals/rocks/snails/hermits/etc. you introduce to tank.

I thought I only had pink, purple and a very nice dark red, but recently green coraline has been popping up all over. It just looks like algae, I would rather not have it. Never seen it before.

Yes first time I saw it I was pretty upset. Took the rocks out and tried to scrub. I was about to bleach it then I read that this is actually green coraline. I just live with it now.

I have purple, dark red, green and even a bright yellow. They are different species I was just reading yesterday about them there is not really a difference.

Patriot76 said:
only have purple on my glass & rock, but some of my snails have hot pink to dark maroon on their shells, i dont get it either. i never heard of any method to growing specific colors. i am guessing the color of the coraline correlates to the kelvin rating of your bulbs, then again maybe not. some help i am. time for bed i think.

If you want that pink to spread, take your snails and use a nail file on the coraline to seed it throughout the tank! D:

Jonathan is absolutely right. Scrape off the coralline you want and scatter in high flow area. It should spread to rocks via this method. I've done it using coraline from a dry tank. So long as it hasn't completely bleached out, it should propagate.

I have green, pink, maroon, and purple. These colors were all on my rock when i got it in little patches. If one of your friends have a piece of rock with the color you want on it, borrow it turn off your current and scrape it off over your tank. If they'll let ya borrow it that is!HAHA

i went to a dentist office that had a 210 gallon reef tank and man do they have great colors...i mean they have super gold color and light neon green all over there rocks...it was awesome...my tank pretty much just has pink and purple ..

can you buy anything to seed different colors in your tank? or is it just the purple up stuff?

jtravapd said:
can you buy anything to seed different colors in your tank? or is it just the purple up stuff?

This is one of the great times where you don't need to spend any additional money on your reef. If you see a color you like in a tank, ask the owner for a few scrapings. Most people I know would be happy to give you some.

Additives such as "Purple Up" are IMHO a waste of money, and are not needed.

I have a few shades of purple (ones really dark),pink, a little of the green and red . I just bought a pice of coral and the base plug has some really cool colors,cant wait for them to spread . I read about another way to spread it that is supposed to get quicker results . Take the rock with the coraline you like and rub it against the other rock making sure the donor rocks coraline comes off onto the recieving rock . Scraping it off your glass will also make it cover your rocks faster . Its just a matter of time and water quality .

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
We started using Kents Coral growth formula in our tanks and really noticed a pickup in the coraline growth. Mostly red, pink, and maroon. Regardless of the color the more coraline you get, the less annoying algae you will get because they will not grow on top of one another. Also, when you buy snails or hermits at the LFS look for the coraline on their shells, it helps.

Here is some white :eek:

You can also add a few of the tablets from the Easter egg dying kit,they come in all sorts of colors. J/K