• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

DI Bypass valve

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
does anybody have one of these installed on their system? i know what it is (tee, and 2 valves) but have never used one. from what i understand its supposed to flush your DI cartridge <---correct me if i am wrong on any of this

i was trying to look into it after reading an article but can't really understand where this thing should be installed on my unit.

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
It should be installed after the membrane right before the di. open the valve to bypass the di for a minute or so when you first turn the unit on. This allows and "tds creep" from getting into the di, extending its life.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Sorry, I've been MIA with no or very limited service. The one @saltkreep88 linked is the one I use. Your line from the membrane comes into the "vertical" portion of the tee, while one "horizontal" goes to waste, and the other horizontal goes to your DI. Works great and has saved my DI by running the first couple minutes of water to waste.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Here's my valve. The white line coming from the upper left corner is coming from the Membrane. To the right of the valve is the DI Resin container....and the valve is positioned to be running the water through the DI Resin. Going to the left is the waste line. When I first turn on my RO/DI, the valve is flipped 180 degrees to run that water to waste...for 3 - 5 minutes....until TDS gets down to 1 - 3. Hope this helps.

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
Here's my valve. The white line coming from the upper left corner is coming from the Membrane. To the right of the valve is the DI Resin container....and the valve is positioned to be running the water through the DI Resin. Going to the left is the waste line. When I first turn on my RO/DI, the valve is flipped 180 degrees to run that water to waste...for 3 - 5 minutes....until TDS gets down to 1 - 3. Hope this helps.

perfect, thank you very much, i ordered this valve but i wasn't too sure on where exactly to install it

horseplay

NJRC Member
My BRS 6-stage unit has a membrane flush kit installed, between the membrane and the DI resin. This flushes the membrane when open and also reduce the amount of the water going to the DI stage.

Membrane Flush Kit Installation Instructions - Bulk Reef Supply

My unit also has the 3-way bypass valve installed BEFORE the membrane. This is used to rinse the new carbon and sediment filters. This allows the water to bypass the membrane/DI stages and go straight to the waste line.

So to re-cap:

sediment filter -> 3 way bypass valve -> membrane -> membrane flush kit -> DI resin.

horseplay

NJRC Member
I was thinking about how the membrane flush kit works. When the flush is on the flow to the DI resin is significantly reduced. So I guess there is no need to install a bypass valve if you already have the flush kit installed.

But the reduced di flow is because you are using most of the incoming water to wash the waste side of the membrane. The issue is bad water slowly creeps to the clean side when the system is off. The flush kit does nothing for the dirty water on the clean side. The bypass clears out the dirty water on the clean side down the drain on first start up so your di does not have to deal with it.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Flush kits are only for the membrane. What is does is bypass the restrictor, allowing water to rapidly flow through the membrane flushing out any larger deposits. It won't help with membrane TDS creep. That's what the valve is for....run it to waste for a couple minutes.

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member

im sorry to bother you Paul, but could you take wide picture of this for me? i do not mean to bother but for the life of me, i can't figure out when i am doing wrong trying to mount this valve

You want the clean side of the ro membrane ( usually the blue line) to go into the port opposite the valve. Then the left and right of the valve go to drain or di canister.

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
Here is what i have in my spaghetti of lines. With what ur saying, that is implying that the DI is to the right of the unit not the left [as the pic] right? @saltkreep88. So for this i think i need MacGyver to help me install this

Last edited: