• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Did I just screw up with my plumbing??????

After several months of planning and going back and forth, I finally got the new 29 gallon from Ed over at ILC (Ed you are da man!!!!)

I got the tank home and was planning to do the plumbing. Didn't happen. So...several trips to Lowe's later and alot of PVC cement fumes later I came up with this.

02-PlumbingOverview.jpg

The return plumbing goes like this:

Pump to first ball valve (pump is Mag 9.5, will need to ball valve to approx. 75 to 80% and should be good)

Tee feeds the fuge, which can be ball valved back to correct flow (currently closed...no baffles)

Return is 3/4" going to a Sea Swirl (picking that up on Fri...currently going to a Fluval 5/8" return)

Here is the detail for the fuge and return plumbing.

01-PlumbingDetail.jpg

So, did I totally blow this? Is thee a way that I can improve it?

Tom

C

concept3

umm. it looks good.

i think you did perfect unless someone else thinks of an upgrade?

Thanks, Merv...that made me feel a lot better. Plumbing is not my strong suit, well, least from a design stand point.

Will the 5/8 tubing blow off if I squeeze it on to the pump and do a leak test?

Tom

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I agree, I think it looks fine.

I'm not sure I understand your question, though. Are you asking about the hoses going over the hose barbs? If so, use a couple of hose clamps to prevent them from possibly leaking (I doubt they'd blow off but they may leak).

Thanks for the reply, John. The hose I have is 5/8" and barely makes it 1 notch onto the hose barb. I put a zip tie on it. I guess it only needs to hold to see if the plumbing leaks. I guess I should run to HD or Lowe's and see if they got in any "Confidence in Your Plumbing" powder lol.

Tom

if you heat the end of the hose and then push it on it should bottom out on the barb then put a hose clamp on it

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
You can dip the end of the hose in hot water for a few seconds to soften it up. That'll help you get down a few more notch's on the barb. One is a little spooky! Also, zip ties don't really work that well as hose clamps. I'd get real ones, just for the peace of mind.

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
ham said:
under water a zip tie above a hose clsmp

Yeah, good point. You don't want metal hose clamps in the water. They do sell some really nice and easy to use plastic hose clamps. They're good for under water too. I've had zip ties fail on me which is why I'm a little leary of them.

Here are the clamps I use

Well, it works lol. Like you said John, the 5/8 hose drips a bit, other than that

SUCCESS!!!!!

I guess another big lesson to learn in reefkeeping is Confidence in Yourself. I uess I need to get better at that one!

Tom

Pics are on their way. The water in the tank seems a bit to high, it's up just a bit past the rim. I guess I should worry too much about that just yet. Here are the pics.

03-WaterFlowing.jpg

04-TheWaterfall.jpg

ooooo like a screen door on a sub looking good o yea dont use a brass door knob inyour tank you know what happens with brass and salt water corals

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Yeah, Me! I'm sure I have a few of them laying around. I'm in VT right now, but I'll check when I get home on Saturday. If you need some before then, I think I saw some at Aquatic Obsession. You'd have to check to see if they have that size, though.

Next question: (like this is a shock lol

I got a 1" 90 degree elbow witha strainer for an overflow (works pretty well). It's loud as all get out. Any ideas on quieting it down?????

Thanks for all your help so far!! D:D :D

Tom

BTW I thought screen doors on a sub was a great innovation...sailors can make anything work lol