• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Do you have a controller for your heaters?

Russell Bennett

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I have a 36 gallon and have a 100 and 150w heater one is redundancy/backup. I just use the dial on the heater to get the temperature, but I have been running a little high 80.1. I know with winter coming I will need to probably dial it up at some point.

I am thinking some type of controller might be the answer, but I really don't want to automate anything else. Anybody else just use the heater onboard gauge or do most of you have some of controller?

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
The most accurate and easiest would be an apex jr and just plug the heater into that, you will have 3 other outlets there as well should you feel the need to use them, but it's also the most expensive. second would be the reef keeper, i believe you can a basic one fairly cheap, i don't know if they're as user friendly but it will come with the temp probe like the apex and should be an easy setup. Both are usually more accurate than the stand alone heater controls, but that would be the third option. I think the apex is the most trusted out of three, but all three i'm sure have been used successfully. I personally prefer to have some type of controller as it controls the temp and you don't have to worry about turning it up or down.

Russell Bennett

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
You MUST use a controller for your heaters because all heaters will eventually fail, and the dangerous failure is "stuck on". If all you wish to control are heaters, a Ranco is a good choice....and if you're handy, you can simply DIY one as well.

Sounds like sage advice guess time to research - so once I get controller I just turn the heaters all the way up, and the controller will run power to them as necessary?

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
I'm working on having my DIY pi controller to control two heaters but right now I just use the heater controller and have a temp sensor which alerts me of high and low temps via push notification and email to my phone

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
I wouldn't set them all the way up, but a degree or two above your desired temperature.

Agree I would be concern with hurting your controller if you turn the heater all the way up and just let the controller to turn on and off the heater. Heaters are one of the most watt equipment we use on our tank. Their startup watt is high as well if I recall so if your heater is set full max and your controller is turning it on and off you might blow the fuse or line that the heater is connected to.

Russell Bennett

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I'm working on having my DIY pi controller to control two heaters but right now I just use the heater controller and have a temp sensor which alerts me of high and low temps via push notification and email to my phone

lol I was about to ask for TigerTempBeta- I would like to try something PI at some point just to stay up on tech, but might look at apex or reef keeper.

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
you know if you want to enter into the pi game I would suggest getting a pi and a temp sensor (pretty cheap) and have it monitor your temp along with the apex or reef keeper as you learn more about programming the pi.

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Apex for me, I have the neo therm set to 78' but it tends to swing +-3' so I have it set to go on/off when it hits 76 and 80

Lol, mine goes on at 78.2 and off at 78.5, probably not neccessary though with that thin of a margin, i just try and keep it as stable as possible, though in the summer my tank will heat up to 80-81 degrees.

Russell Bennett

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Tiger do I need those 3 credit hours of C++ I got (before I realized accounting was for me) to get my pi game going? I averaged some grades in hyper terminal back in the day -1999 l0l. Also helped a cute sorority girl with hers.

So I didn't know where the next $100-$200 dollar was going to spent on tank glad I got that answer lol

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Agree I would be concern with hurting your controller if you turn the heater all the way up and just let the controller to turn on and off the heater. Heaters are one of the most watt equipment we use on our tank. Their startup watt is high as well if I recall so if your heater is set full max and your controller is turning it on and off you might blow the fuse or line that the heater is connected to.

With a Ranco or DIY controller, this isn't an issue. However, with an Aquarium controller....and in my case that's a ReefKeeper....I purposely run and "expansion sock" just for my heaters. This eliminates any excessive draw on the power bar, which might not be able to handle it. So if you're running an Aquarium controller (one of those things with, typically an eight outlet power bar), use an expansion sock for your heaters.

My expansion socket is just above the the upper right corner of that white outlet plate, and has my two heaters plugged into it.

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
With a Ranco or DIY controller, this isn't an issue. However, with an Aquarium controller....and in my case that's a ReefKeeper....I purposely run and "expansion sock" just for my heaters. This eliminates any excessive draw on the power bar, which might not be able to handle it. So if you're running an Aquarium controller (one of those things with, typically an eight outlet power bar), use an expansion sock for your heaters.

My expansion socket is just above the the upper right corner of that white outlet plate, and has my two heaters plugged into it.

I need you to come over and do some cable management for me paul, I like how urs are nice n neat