• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Do you have a controller for your heaters?

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
With a Ranco or DIY controller, this isn't an issue. However, with an Aquarium controller....and in my case that's a ReefKeeper....I purposely run and "expansion sock" just for my heaters. This eliminates any excessive draw on the power bar, which might not be able to handle it. So if you're running an Aquarium controller (one of those things with, typically an eight outlet power bar), use an expansion sock for your heaters.

My expansion socket is just above the the upper right corner of that white outlet plate, and has my two heaters plugged into it.

Paul just wondering why on a Ranco or a DIY its not a concern and on an apex or reef keeper it is? How much do those expansion socks run? I might need to pick you brain more when I get into heater controls with my controller (more on wiring/power than programming)

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Paul just wondering why on a Ranco or a DIY its not a concern and on an apex or reef keeper it is? How much do those expansion socks run? I might need to pick you brain more when I get into heater controls with my controller (more on wiring/power than programming)

I will preface my comment with the fact that I know as much about electronics as I do brain surgery.

On aquarium controllers, the outlets typically have a max draw, and in the case of my Reefkeeper, it's 6 amps (and not to exceed 15 amps for the entire bar). With a Ranco or DIY controller, it is basically acting as a controllable extension cord, and has the draw of the outlet it's plugged into....typically 15 amps. I have "toasted" an outlet on my ReefKeeper power bar back when I had the heaters plugged directly into them. The expansion sock is now plugged directly into an outlet (i.e. now 15 amps), with the ReefKeeper telling it when to turn on and off.....just like a Ranco or DIY setup.

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
thanks for the information @redfishbluefish I had a feeling that was the case but wanted to check cause what I know about electric is what I know about rocket science.

I know on my system each two outlet is 15amp (cause I split one power strip outlet to two outlets on my system) but each relay can support 10amps. I just make sure make sure I keep my amps down mainly at start up

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Apex jr you can usually find used for 200 or less, in the end its about 100-150 more but opens up a lot of options. I personally love my apex system, makes things very easy. I picked up mine used as well.

Russell Bennett

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Apex jr you can usually find used for 200 or less, in the end its about 100-150 more but opens up a lot of options. I personally love my apex system, makes things very easy. I picked up mine used as well.

I probably could use it for a fan if needed

my lights are subpar (fluval not 2 channels so wouldn't be able to control blues)

wonder if I could upgrade lighting using apex jr- seems like most good lighting I am looking at comes with web based control (AI primes for example) though

I would need a dongle but the updates are a selling point

You like it? APEX Jr looks pretty cool, but like to save money.

Seems like some get rather frustrated with the programing. I think I would have patience for it though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

I like it, only controlling my dosing pumps, heater and a fan in the summer but if I had the extra cash I'll switch it for an Apex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Russell Bennett

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I like it, only controlling my dosing pumps, heater and a fan in the summer but if I had the extra cash I'll switch it for an Apex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So basically now I am at the point that Apex Jr if I go controller is what I want. At a minimum I need to spend $50 on a finnex so basically do I want an APEX Jr at $50 off lol

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
if you can go with an apex you won't regret it. I started mine off for just running two dosing pumps and my heater, and it was a quick and easy way to turn off certain pumps and things instead of pulling plugs. If for that reason along with turning thing's off with the click of a mouse or on your phone it's worth it. You can set things off to turn off for a set amount of time, i do it for feeding, it turns off my return pump for 5 minutes. I now also have the wav pumps, which have a lot of different ways to configure, between flow, power, inverse, mirror. I have the dos, and instead of figuring out how long pumps have to be on and going through the program generator, i just put in the amount and when to dose it and it handles the rest. It also controls my lights, and anything else i need it to, it's hands down one of the best pieces of equipment for my tank as far as making my life easier goes.

Russell Bennett

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
What lights do you use? Seems like it could be a good time for me to upgrade lights, and might have more option if I have APEX JR controller

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I had leds, i just wasn't having much luck with them or getting the channels right, i wanted something that all i had to worry about was off and on so i went with the ati t5's. Love the light and probably wouldn't go back at this point.

I have a couple Eheim Jager's on an Apex. I keep the heaters' thermostats set to about 82 as a safety stop, but allow the Apex to control them to maintain my desired temp of 78.

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Russ,
I keep my setup simple and the Reefkeeper light is fine.
I use 2 heaters, each with their manual controls set at 80 (so if the Reefkeeper fails they wont overheat the tank).
Both heaters are in channel 1 + 2 of the RKL and I have the RKL set to maintain 78 degrees. It hardly ever fluctuates, and if it does its by .1 or .2 degrees for a brief period of time.
On channel 3 of the RKL I have a fan, so if I hit 80 it comes on and I have it set to go off at 78.2 so the heaters don't engage.
I used to have a fuge light on channel 4, so it would come on in the PM, but with the new nano I don't need it anymore. When I was using it in the 90g, it worked fine.
Its a simple unit for basic control of heat, fans, doser pumps, and lights, and it works very well for what it does.
Unlike the Apex there are no internet controls, WiFi, Bluetooth, or any of that. Its more a desktop computer. Set it and check it every once in a while. It won't send you a text while on vacation urging you to return home, or telling you to frantically call someone to break into your house and dose something, but I'm OK with that as I'm still in a love/hate relationship with the hobby (and I'm not running a big tank).

Disclosure:
At the end of the summer I let my 90g go for a few weeks. Lot of things going on and the tank was next to last on my list. It had been developing an algae problem that I never looked into.
Seems that the main unit of the RKL that I had at the time had malfunctioned, and my tank temp climbed to 82 degrees plus for an extended time.
I lost a lot of SPS and gained a bucketful of algae. But, I had neglected checking temp or doing water changes for a few weeks.
Yet, it had worked so well that I replaced it with another RKL, which I'm currently running.

Last edited:

Russell Bennett

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Mark,

Thanks- for input- I am not sure I want to spend anymore on this tank (so reef keeper lite seems like a good play). I really would love to upgrade lighting, but it is mostly working. I still have the bigger tank in basement dream. I wish my lights were not such a pain- one channel so I have to manual flip to the blues.