• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Dosing Pumps

Sunny

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
I have been using BRS 1.1 ml/min pumps for past 6 years and have been ver happy with them. However, I was already running them for 25 minutes each hours with my old tank. Given the new tank with 800G total volume I do not think they will cut it.

I know BRS now has a 1.6 ml/min version but that too will be a bit small I believe.

Anyone know of some other reliable dosing pumps? Something that can dose 5 ml/min will be ideal.

Please do not ask me to use a Calcium reactor because I do not believe in them

Thoughts?

Thanks

Sunny

I have been using BRS 1.1 ml/min pumps for past 6 years and have been ver happy with them. However, I was already running them for 25 minutes each hours with my old tank. Given the new tank with 800G total volume I do not think they will cut it.

I know BRS now has a 1.6 ml/min version but that too will be a bit small I believe.

Anyone know of some other reliable dosing pumps? Something that can dose 5 ml/min will be ideal.

Please do not ask me to use a Calcium reactor because I do not believe in them

Thoughts?

Thanks

Sunny

Go for the new GHL doser!!

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
The BRS 1.1 pumps are quality built pumps that last. They sell the same configuration as 50 ml/minute pumps by changing the gearing, but these just run too fast for the plastic gears, and die too quickly....I'd never buy the 50ml pump. However, if it was me, I'd simply double up the 1.1's. That is, for Alkalinity I'd have two 1.1 BRS pumps and for Calcium, I'd also have two pumps. Just my two cents.

ecam

President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I saw it :).

But with that size and your Midas touch on sps. You are way over the capacity of a pump. You are basically pushing a continuous drip. So Paul is on right track of running multiple pumps for each container.

Last edited:

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
The BRS 1.1 pumps are quality built pumps that last. They sell the same configuration as 50 ml/minute pumps by changing the gearing, but these just run too fast for the plastic gears, and die too quickly....I'd never buy the 50ml pump. However, if it was me, I'd simply double up the 1.1's. That is, for Alkalinity I'd have two 1.1 BRS pumps and for Calcium, I'd also have two pumps. Just my two cents.

Welcome back @redfishbluefish

I was going to suggest the same thing (not knowing about the 50ml issue. You already seem to be having luck with the BRS and you should be able to get some more cheaper than a high end doser it seems the way to go.

arvin

NJRC Member
I have been using GHL pumps for several years. Their pumps have provided outstanding performance. However their display boards are another story. So far I have changed them five times and $100 a pop. Newer versions are better they claim.

Sunny, for that kind of volume you will need a Reeflo Dart hooked up to an Apex :)

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
Personally, I was disappointed in it. I sold mine. The build quality seems flimsy, it’s very loud and the programming isn’t as flexible as GHL.
I have heard the same. Also in the beginning they were extremely inconsistent with the volume they dosed. Not sure if this has been fixed.

DEL

Vice President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I've been using my eshopps dual doser for years with no issues. so easy to setup as well !!!!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk