• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

'Drink Dispenser Pico' challenge?

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
This was spawned from Jeremy's post...
The Pico reef.

This intrigues me, a lot.
Maybe we should start a club activity.
Have members go out and make picos under 3g.
Any coral style they like.

Thinking that some of these ‘drink dispensers’…
drink dispenser can be fitted with stainless or brass spigots.
Keep the sand level 1/2” under the spigot and water changes are a breeze.

Maybe we can run a contest say from Dec 1st this year to June 1st next year (6 mos) where we follow the builds and offer a few prizes for the top 3 as voted on by NJRC members?
I’m happy to contact previous sponsers and see if they’ll put up some prizes.

If anyone else is interested in this, lemme know.
If we get board approval I’ll write an announcement, give a list of required items, and we’ll request a ‘Drink Dispenser Nano Forum’ with sub-forums on ‘Builds’, ‘Lighting’, ‘Pumps’, ‘Containers’, ‘Misc. Tips’, and more.

Also, per publicity…
This could be fun, is affordable, could generate a lot of interest in NJRC.
We can advertise on other sites to join NJRC and enter the contest. ‘Anyone can enter, only paid members can vote’ is a thought.
Plus, if we keep tight forums, and this becomes a thing, we'll generate a ton of traffic.

Drop some replies and lets see if there’s interest.

I’m doing it regardless and will post my build soon. :)

71ygq7J0L0L._SL1500_.jpg

Hmm. Would love to do this but don't really want to spend money on another light nor would I know what to get! If somebody could give an idea for a cheap light that would grow some corals I would be down to enter [emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Just grab a cheap desk lamp that will reach it's neck over the top of your container (or high in the back at an angle), then go to a shopping site, type in 'full spectrum led grow bulb', and you'll have a ton of choices between $20 - $30.

I further searched online regarding maritza evidently there's a face book page I don't have Facebook but I was able to see a video post of maritza's corals spawning and releasing eggs this is a pretty cool achievement for a reef keeper let alone when keepING one in a vase

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
All part of the 'challenge'.

Seriously though, my tanks fluctuate between 76 and 82 and i have no probs. A tank that small will pick up ambient temps and do the same.

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
I'm happy to go the 'everybody gets the same stuff' route if we like but I'm a bit fussy on the tank being 2g wide mouth and the light being full spectrum (plus I may have a usable light somewhere in storage already, and if do, I don't plan to buy another).

May be better if we set a maximum budget. Say to qualify you have a $100 max for essentials.
The essentials include the tank, light(s), pump, and heater (if using).
Anything else is variable but the base items can not total more than $100.
We'll all use our preferred sand, our preferred salt, will probably use some rock from one of our tanks, some may even have a good container already, some may decide to build a stand, or buy a container which is already on a raised stand (to make WC easier).
The $100 cap also allows some folks to budget easier and ensures anyone with money won't go nuts with a Kessel.
Regardless, this is conceived as a FUN competition, not a competative one.

Was looking at something like this...
Amazon.com | Anchor Hocking Heritage Hill Glass Beverage Dispenser with Spigot, 2 Gallon: Iced Beverage Dispensers
(was thinking of fitting a flat piece of plexiglass over the top, or have the local glass place cut me a lid)

And I'd replace the cheap plastic spigot with this...
Amazon.com | Beverage Dispenser Replacement Spigot, Oak Leaf Stainless Steel Polished Finished, Dispenser Replacement Faucet: Iced Beverage Dispensers

I'd go with this light...
Amazon.com : Niello 18W LED Aquarium Light Bulb Hood Lighting for Aquarium and Plant Growth, Full Spectrum Lights, Blue and White Light for Reef or Freshwater Refugium-Maximum PAR for Coral and Plant Growth : Pet Supplies

With this on at night (mounted outside the tank)...
Amazon.com : LedHome Aquarium Led Light Kit for Small Fish Tank Underwater Submersible 7.5-inch Fish Tank Lamp Suitable for Saltwater and Freshwater 18 Leds Blue Light : Pet Supplies

And a generic air pump.

All the above is approximately $85 - $90 if everything is purchased.

Last edited: