• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

'Drink Dispenser Pico' challenge?

So thinking of ideas. for the vase reef project i came across a few youtube videos of different "vase" reefs people created as well as a few forums regarding stocking, maintenance, and care. Since the majority of the eco-systems we will be creating will be dominated by soft corals or hardy corals live stock is sorta a limited addition due to space availability and its taxing effects on the water. However i think i have come up with a list of possible livestock options, thinking on the extremely small size the first candidate that comes to mind is the well known blue legged hermit crab these guys are small and don't require alot or put out alot of waste so wont put a tax on the delicate eco-system. The next would be the "fan worm" again these guys don't take up much space and do not require much care plus would add alittle flare if placed right among the coral. Now a know some may find these to be controversial because they are considered pests to most but the Asteria Starfish are small enough hardy and have the added bonus of helping clean up any waste build up. a few other mentionables would be shrimps of the smaller verities and smaller crabs and inverts.
if any one has some other ideas they want to add to the list please do i planned on making this longer but keep drawing blanks on what to add

OH HELL NOOO!!! Ok I'm in lol,
How about a point system, given by the list of Items, Given or must use? and also a creative an unique design?
by the way wheres the list? lol

horseplay

NJRC Member
I know this is not as cool as the drink dispensers but probably more practical with the internal filter providing some flow
2c42da2c6c84f83fc6b27454d2ba85da.jpg

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I hope to find something where the top and bottom are similar in size. I am considering a UGF for this setup I was inspired by Paul B.

Attachments

• UGFS.jpg
    UGFS.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 14

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I know this is not as cool as the drink dispensers but probably more practical with the internal filter providing some flow
2c42da2c6c84f83fc6b27454d2ba85da.jpg

sad part is I had a hex tank with filter on top that would have been cool to use but the filter/pump broke a few years ago. It so old couldn't find a replacement.

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
I like the budget idea myself.
Then we can all get creative, choose our own tanks, lights, etc...
I've put in a request for a special forum.
Will keep everyone informed.
If we get it rules, dates, links, and discussions shall abound!

Last edited:
Ok so taking the lead again from mark regarding the Idea of a contest and a set list of limitations and rules I came up with this
Requirments for this challenge :
1.) the Vessel used to contain the reef can be no more then 2.5 gallons but can be of any shape or size as long as it does not exceed the 2.5 gallon limit
2.) The system shall not contain any forum of mechanical filtration to be considered as qualifying for a prize. (the vase reef Maritza does not have a any source of mechanical filtration system in place)
3.) the system should include the following equipment 1. vessel/tank/container 2. light source (preferably capable of supporting coral growth) 3. source of circulation(ie. a bubbler or power head) 4. heater (optional but recommended)
4.) the contestant is required to post regular bi-weekly updates to provide proof that the reef system is indeed capable of hosting coral and growing coral from start to finish and that the contestant does not simply add a bunch of frags at the end an send in a picture of the most amazing reef that never grew with in the original requirements of the challenge
5.) each system shall contain no less then three (3) separate species of coral and one (1) invertebrate or fish
6.) upon the loss of coral or invertebrate or fish the contestant will make notification and replace. (this requirement is to ensure that the challenge of keeping the system is held for all contestants)

these rules are not set in stone they are just a starting point and are open for discussion and finalization would be made prior to the contest start.
I came up with these based on what I have seen in other vase reefs, they are simple in design and require little work on things like dosing and filtration because most of this is done with water changes.. id like to try to stay away from premade tanks how ever cool they are if this challenge is meant to be a non conventional reef setup
I figured 3 types of coral at a minimal would keep the challenge equal in the beginning because everyone would at least have the same sorta tax on the water chemistry. I figure one common thing would be that these tanks will not require much of a cycle because you would be doing pretty much a 100 precent water change regularly so in a requirement it might be a good idea to have both live rock taken from a established system and a live sand to add a place for microbial life to take a hold possibly a dash of bio spira with every water change would be good? what do you guys think?

Having 3 types of coral is doable, but what if I want to use a coral that doesn't require light as they might do well in an isolated container and not require constant additions of calcium? Or maybe I want to grow sponges. Why not have the light an option as well. Why not make it 3 or more forms of reef life?

Why no mechanical filtration? An under gravel filter setup run by a bubbler seems practical and would be a good place to place a heater out of site. In addition, the bubbler and heater wire could conceivably come out the opening where a spigot would go, keeping wires and tube out of site.

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Thats why the $100 max idea is probably best. Full customization and we'll get to se quite a few ideas for different builds.

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
I guess any coral you'd like as long as the total build is under....let's say $100

Having 3 types of coral is doable, but what if I want to use a coral that doesn't require light as they might do well in an isolated container and not require constant additions of calcium? Or maybe I want to grow sponges. Why not have the light an option as well. Why not make it 3 or more forms of reef life?

Why no mechanical filtration? An under gravel filter setup run by a bubbler seems practical and would be a good place to place a heater out of site. In addition, the bubbler and heater wire could conceivably come out the opening where a spigot would go, keeping wires and tube out of site.
The reason I thought of those limitations is because the REEF VASE is not just a small version of a our fully function home aquariums it was made to be something completely different and thought to be impossible the challenge isn't to make a tiny display tank using all the equipment we normal find mandatory to have the challenge is to make a reef in something that seems impossible.
The "Old school" thought was keeping coral and salt water was extremely difficult... in the begging salt water keepers didn't have much in there tanks coral skeletons and stone and sand they didn't really think of the live rock system coral keeping was thought to be only for experts .. we evolved and changed that theory by finding ways to make that possible for any saltwater keeper using things like dosing pumps, full spectrum lighting, skimmers, wave makers, reactors ect.. but in turn changed the theory again to you cant keep coral with out those things.. The reef Vase is in its purest forum like the gold fish bowl that sits on the counter, its simple it has no fancy equipment no high tech systems in place.. any one can keep coral with all the new high tech gear managing the water chemistry and promoting the eco systems with in our tanks but that's not the challenge .. the challenge is in simple words to make a gold fish bowl that can contain a reef to grow coral using the bare minimal in a situation that would blow the minds of the original forerunners in the hobby.

Look im not saying you cant do it how ever you like im just saying read my original post regarding the pico reef watch a couple of youtube videos about Maritza and the other vase reefs out there see for your self how they are beautiful and thriving and the only thing there keepers have running them daily is a basic bubbler or tiny power head , a heater and a light source. And then ask your self was the challenge for them finding a way to make a Tiny Compact tank? or was it growing such a beautiful reef in a small tank using nothing but good Husbandry and dedication relaying only on basic needs of coral which are clean water a source of energy whether it be food or light and circulation.

Most of the youtuber's out there keeping true to the original source of inspiration demonstrate how they achieve their amazing reefs doing the bare minimal for example water changes and the occasional spot feeding

Anyways the list was just a thought no one has to do it that way