• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Earthquake in NJ????

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
EarthQuake

I'm pretty sure we just had an earthquake....at about 1:50pm. The largest I've ever felt in NJ.

My house just started shaking back and forth. Could we have just had an earthquake? That would be a new one to me.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Yeah it was a 5.8 in virginia, and we felt it all the way up here. A little freaky to say the least.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
My house just started shaking back and forth. Could we have just had an earthquake? That would be a new one to me.

Dave, I just posted this as well. Where are you located? I'm in Sayreville and we had a good shaking for about 30 seconds. And as I posted, the largest one I've ever felt in NJ. Trying to track down the number and epicenter right now.

I'm sitting in my office chair with wheels and I thought I was getting vertigo or something. Then everyone started yelling as pictures where slapping against the walls. First one for me. My son calls me from home all excited and tells me that my 75g tank was actually splashing water.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
From USGS:

Earthquake Details

• This event has been reviewed by a seismologist.

• Tuesday, August 23, 2011 at 17:51:03 UTC
  • Tuesday, August 23, 2011 at 01:51:03 PM at epicenter
37.975°N, 77.969°W
1 km (~0.6 mile) (poorly constrained)
VIRGINIA

• 6 km (4 miles) SSE (152°) from Louisa, VA
  • 6 km (4 miles) SW (236°) from Mineral, VA
  • 26 km (16 miles) SE (133°) from Gordonsville, VA
  • 66 km (41 miles) NW (318°) from Richmond, VA
  • 134 km (83 miles) SW (219°) from Washington, DC
horizontal +/- 10.9 km (6.8 miles); depth +/- 7.4 km (4.6 miles)
NST=390, Nph=390, Dmin=57.9 km, Rmss=1.17 sec, Gp= 47°,
M-type=regional moment magnitude (Mw), Version=6

• Magnitude: USGS NEIC (WDCS-D)
usc0005ild

Magnitude Date-Time Location Depth Region Distances Location Uncertainty Parameters Source Event ID

Tazmaniancowboy

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I was sitting by the pool watching the kids and thought the dog was scratching under my chair...When I looked and didn't see him I thought something was wrong with me and was going to call someone! WOW...WILD, can't imagine being near the center!

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Thought my boss switched my chair with a massage chair..til I heard everyone say "what the #&*% was that? ". Lasted about 45 seconds here in Lumberton 08048.

Boss's mom called and said she felt it in Paoli, PA too.

My wife felt it in Blackwood NJ 08012.

Looks like it hit the whole area. Kind of cool but I don't need to feel it again! :eek:

Tazmaniancowboy

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Not quite sure why, but there are a lot of cell phones down also...nice to know they won't be around in a real emergency!

A little water from the tank spilled on the carpet...oh and now the fish are swimming upside down...but other than that all seems fine. :D