• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

EcoAqualizer

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
A friend of mine, who's new to the hobby, pointed me in the direction of the EcoAqualizer and asked if I had ever heard of it. I didn't but thought I'd check it out. When I first started looking into the product, my immediate reaction was "Yeah right. It's just another gimmick". I did a little more research and thought "Well, it's not too expensive and may be worth a shot". I emailed their customer service and asked a few questions about the product and their money back guarantee. They assured me there were no strings attached with guarantee and that they stood behind their product.

I figured I'd give it a shot and gave the guy I was talking to (Phillip) a very basic description of my system. In passing, I mentioned that I planned on buying the 500g unit and put it in line between my sump and my frag tank. He got back to me immediately and said that that would not be a good idea. Each unit is designed for the size tank it is feeding and while the 500 would clean my whole system, the water in the frag tank would be over-ionized and not really good for the inhabitants. He asked for a more detailed description of my tank so I sent him the drawing of my basement, which is just slightly chaotic. Phillip emailed me back with a proposal on how I could use several smaller units in different places. When I said the cost of the smaller ones would be too high, he said not to worry, he'd make it price competitive (which he did BTW). A few minutes after I got that email, I got another with him saying that he continued looking at my drawing and had a better idea. About 30 minutes later I got still another email in which he fully understood my setup and designed the perfect setup that included 4 smaller units, all for the price of the one bigger one.

When the order came, there was a mix up and I was sent a bigger unit instead of two of the smaller ones. I emailed Phillip and he told me to keep the large unit for a club donation and he'd overnight me the 2 smaller ones that I needed.

Once I had them all, I installed one a day for four days. I was told I'd see a difference in 48 hours and I'll be darned if I didn't! My tank looks really, really clear now. There is still some sand floating around thanks to my GSM but other than that, the water itself sparkles. Plus I find myself not having to clean my glass nearly as often.

Their site makes a lot of claims about fighting Ich and other things. I can't vouch for that because I don't have the problem (that I know of) but I have to say I'm not disappointed. It sounds like snake oil but I'm a believer. The biggest plus is their customer service. Phillip went the extra mile and then some. I'm a hard person to please when it comes to customer service and these guys really delivered.

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I guess I'm just going to have to win that donation and give it a try as well.

I'm interested in this product keep us informed with how is performing in your tank. have you seen any other improvements in health on the fish or corals, how about the PH does it stabilizes it like it claims to do?

Tazmaniancowboy

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
John, I am totally shocked. I read a lot about this I guess when it first came out and nobody wanted to try it because all thought it was snake oil also. If I remember right when I heard about them they claimed that they were being used with great results mostly overseas and were trying to get into our market. The couple of people that had them here got them for nearly nothing and I think they actually gave some away to market them. I thought about them a couple of times when I started the hobby, but tired of being sold"garbage" that I didn't know better.

Glad to see that you are happy with it, and now you have yet another thing to add to your beautiful Basement Blueprint! Can't wait to hear future updates to see how you feel down the road. Thanks for being our guinea pig. LOL

Taz

PS how much stock did you buy in the company before posting this?!

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Tazmaniancowboy said:
Did you search RC before you bought them? How/where did you install them?

Taz

I did a little research but got frustrated by all of the mixed reviews. I figured with the guarantee I really didn't have a whole lot to lose so I gave it a shot.

I put one X-150 in the line going to the stock tank, one X-150 in the line going to the frag tank and then one X-75 in each return line going to the display tank just prior to the bulk heads.

Unfortunately, I can't really comment on all of the other claims they make. They could very well be true, I just don't know.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Bax (who's in that industry) actually suggested that it COULD work... Oh Bax... where are you?

don't waste your money have had one on a 120 fish only tank i see no difference in water parameters then on a tank that dose not have one The X150 has been installed for over 2 years

Yeah, and if you bolt it to the fuel system in your car you get 100mpg! Snake oil, nothing in water for magnets to act on. Versions of devices like this are sold (and largely believed in!) for keeping scale off pipes. I've seen the tests (in Consumer Reports). They do nothing. One important thing to note is that wherever this device shows up, its effect is always beneficial, it always does exactly what is desired and nothing else.

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Can we keep the negative comments to ourselves?
This post was intended to show someones experience on a product. It worked for him and I've seen the difference.
I've keept SW tanks for over 30 years and still can't explain every detail of keeping them. What works for one tank, might not work for the next. With that being said, I would try one on one of my tanks, if it didn't do anything on that tank, I would try it on another one.

Tazmaniancowboy

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
This product has the most mixed reviews that I've ever seen. I'm glad it is working for John and I will like to see what he says down the road. Quite honestly I was shocked with John's post on this and I was afraid for him being bashed for buying/falling for it. But with the knowledge and experience that he and Phyllis have it must be doing something and I respect them for trying it out. It even had me thinking about one just to see for myself being that there is so much controversy over it.

John Keep us informed

Taz

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
You know what everyone, I don't sell the thing, I don't make a profit on it, I have no ties to the company. I could really care less if anyone else ever uses it or not. Really. If you've HEARD that it doesn't work, good for you. I've SEEN what I BELIEVE to be positive results. If you take a chance on it and don't see the same results, Oh well. If you want to slam it, man up and try it and then say it doesn't work. . . . .

I used to have to clean my glass every 2 to 3 days if I wanted to see into the tank. Now I can go 10 days to 2 weeks. Those are MY ACTUAL results. I guess it could be a coincidence though ::)

BTW, thanks for the support Mike and Taz.

Thanks John for posting your results, I guess it has to be out of water not submerged right? Appreciate ibn posting the web site that tore it apart. I guess it can work, I wonder if for some people it will do something and for other nothing depending on water makeup? Magnets are sort of a mystical force, claiming help from back pain to clean aquariums. I have seen ads for them and always wondered so this is sort of cool.

Altohombre said:
stop using it for a couple weeks and see if you go back to the old way.

I think it's plumbed in and would be a pain to remove. I've seen John's tank before and after and there is definitely a differece. Thier tank looked great both ways but the water is clearer now and as for the maintanence, you can't beat going 10 days of not scraping. I want to get the aqualizer but my plumbing is a little messy and I don't even want to go there. My next tank will have it for sure.

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Yeah, Mike's right. It would be a bit of a pain to "un-plumb" it. I've made it so I can take it out and clean it relatively easily but to replace those sections of pipe would require additional fittings and hassle.