• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

EcoAqualizer

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Ed, if you're interested in using it let John know and he'll get you in touch with the guy who spec'd ours. You need to get them so that you have one on each leg of your system that is sized properly for that leg. It worked out to be the same price as the the single larger unit.

Edwardw771

NJRC Member
I'll talk to John. I'll put it on my 90 first and see if it does anything. if it works well I'll get another one for the 265.

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Thought: When I run my ozone, there is a drastic reduction in the amount of glass cleaning I do as well as the clearness of the water improves as well. Maybe there will be less or no visually noticeable effect of running EcoAqualizer in addition to Ozone. So maybe, running the EcoAqualizer may reduce/eliminate the need to run ozone for the water clearness and glass cleaning issue.

Make sense?

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Rich, I think you're exactly right. I think the effects that we see are those similar to the effects that you get from running ozone.

Ed, Is it safer? To your family, skimmer, etc? Yes. You won't have to worry about excess ozone in the environment or eating hoses and fittings. As for the water...we did find that things cleared so fast that we had some corals have light shock from the transition. We've had to move them to a lower light environment while they acclimated. We put them all on in a relatively short period of time though. On a large system (If I could do it over again), I would add one leg at a time maybe a week or three apart to let the effect be gradual. I wonder what the ORP has been doing in our system. I can't check it because our probe is uselessly sitting in our nitrate reactor where it doesn't do anything for me because it can't read negative ORP on a ACII. But I digress...

So has anyone else given it a try?

John, has the improvement continued to hold?

I'll be needing to do a better job of glass maintenance once the main tank is in the living room. ::)

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Well Bill, I guess in fairness, I should say that my glass is "greening" up a little quicker than it had been. I'm not sure if that's a result of the units losing their effectiveness or a function of the increased temps the tank has been running at. Either way, once the glass is cleaned, the water still looks very clear.

According to manufacture the unit is good for 10 years. All I know is I have had one on a 120 for over 2 years and the only thing I have ever seen reduce my algae is phosphate reactor

radiata

NJRC Member
Woo Hoo - EcoAqualizer - here we go again! (Sorry for jumping on this thread so late.)

A few years back, in a previous incarnation of this NJRC board, I actually offered to fund a blind test of this product - two side-by-side 2' tanks, identical 4' flour lighting to cover both, same filtration on each tank (except that one would have the magic product in-line and located in a concealed and locked base), and the same set of species in each. A team of NJRC members would monitor the tanks and periodically report on which tank they thought had the magic product and why they thought so. (There were no takers on my offer.)

There are two things you must remember when doing due diligence on any magical reef aquarium products:

(1) There is no branch of the government that monitors claims made by manufacturers of pet products. You can claim ANYTHING you want to about your product and no government agency (like the FDA) will take you to task. I personally know of one person who got into the reef business because, after his own due diligence, found that it was the least regulated of any business in the USA.

(2) The Subliminal Psyche Effect - if you go out and blow a few hundred dollars on the latest magical high tech gadget, your psyche has a stake in that purchase. Your psyche will ALWAYS report that the product made your tank "LOOK" better than it did. Otherwise it would have to eat humble pie and admit that it screwed up and blew a few hundred dollars.

Any takers this time? Maybe with the current level of technology, we could do it with web cams and let the entire membership vote of which tank had the EcoAqualizer and which didn't.

Ciao,
Bob D.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I would love to see this. I'd also love to see the UV sterilizer on a third tank in the focus group! C'mon, Bob! Set'em up!

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
And while you're at it, do some Ozone too. I would love to see all the results.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Hence why we need an educational lab. So that we can run these types of experiments! :)

Hey if anyone is interested. I bought one of the EcoAqualizers and never installed it. Still brand new in the box. I could send it back because it is still within the 180 day period but I am to lazy. If someone wants to try one I will sell it for a good price. It is the X 500 rated for I think 400 to 600 gallons. It was $210.00 will sell it for $150.00 shipped.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Unfortunately, you can't run that x500 on one tank (unless it was 400-600g). We ended up getting one for each leg (for the price of that one). So we got one for the 150 stock tank, 1 for the 125 frag tank, and 2 small ones for our feeds to the 180. They say that you don't want to use one that big on ONE tank because you would be super-ionizing the water and it wouldn't be good for the fish/corals. If you email the guy he'll exchange it for you.

If anyone on here has a 400 gallon tank and want to try it let me know. I don't feel like going thru the hastle of sending it back.

danthemanj

FRAG SWAP VENDOR
I've been reseaching this product for a couple of days now and am intrigued with it so I've decided to give it a fair shot. The surprising thing about most of the negative posts I've noticed in my research on this product is mostly from folks that haven't tried it because it doesn't register with them scientifically but being a science major, I also know that we are limited by the knowledge that we have or can obtain, which even in this day and age can be very limited. So the only way to prove or disprove something is to test it out and that is what I intend to do. With a 6 month money back guarantee, all I have to lose is a few hours of my time. After talking to the folks at Eco-Aqualizer (great customer service by the way), I ordered 2 Eco-Aqualizers yesterday. Hope to get them early next week. As recommended by their technical staff, I ordered 1 X-225 for my display tank and 1 X-75 for my sump. I will be taking pictures of the water and inhabitants of my tank, before and after installation and post them on this board. You can be the judge. I will try my best to refrain from making any changes that could potentially skew up the outcome. In addition, I will track my parameters before, during and after a couple of days of running the Eco-Aqualizer. If nothing else and my water only becomes clearer, that itself would be worth the money spent on it. I'd spend a lot more running O3 on my system and if this can give me the same effects, it would be worth every cent.

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Dan, good luck with the system. I hope you see the same positive results that we did. One other thing you may want to measure is the average number of days between needing to clean your glass.

Looks like there are two relatively easy parameters to track to test their claims.

They say you should experience an increase in ORP and stable ph both day and night.

Dan, you ran ozone so I guess you might have an ORP meter? Do you have an Aquacontroller? That could be hooked to a computer and you could chart the ph around the clock before and after to see if that works.