• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

evoIX OCEAN in motion 65 gallon display

;D ;D ;D

well, my wife said it was going to be my final tank so i went a bit bigger and had as much as possible.

tank info
  • first - huge thanks to adesimone for the awesome tank!
  • Oceanic 65gallon RR w/stand and canopy

equipment
  • 65gallon tank
canopy houses:
  • 2 x 175w 20k XM MH
  • 2 x 24w actnics
  • 1 R2 Moonlight
info:  time cycle
actnics run from 9-9
MH run from 12-6
R2 run from 9-9 reverse actnics
other:
  • custom king sump ~20g
    • mag 5 return
    • 2 x submersible 5w 6500k for fuge
    • skimmer: Sump Buddy 40 powered by quietone 3000
    • ReefFanatic ATO w/aqualifter

• filter:
      • filter floss
      • chemipure elite
        • mighty mite 50gpd RO/DI
        Controller/Power
        • 2x RKL mainly to control temp and lights
        • DJ Power Panel
        Circulation:
        • Koralia 2 and 3
        • little from return

Live stock!

• current:
          • 2 x fish fish gobies
          • tail spot blenny
          future:
          • Flame Angel
          • Red/Green Mandarin
          • Powder brown tang or Chevron Tang

So I've decided to go BAREBOTTOM on this tank.  I like the cleanliness that it can present and no detritus able to settle on the sand.  i have no fish that dig holes and hide (i think).

things i want to try:
            - will use B-Ionic 2 part to control ALK & CAL
            - Brightwell Dosing
            - Vodka dosing once my tank is stable enough in my eyes to support it (will only use for a maximum of 6 months)
          - i need to figure out how i want to run my carbon and phosban

down the street from the border. I work in Montvale.

I am ashamed to take pictures until i get all my equipment.

they should be here mid next week!

yeah i'm definitely going to try my best to get it to exactly where i want it to be. trying to pay attention to extreme detail.

while looking for aquascape ideas.  i found MERV's aquascape at last years november meeting and absolutely love his designs.

hopefully i can get it to exactly that:

picture stolen from that thread
aquascape.jpg

look even the inspirator is in the pic!

just ordered 50# of Marco Rocks Key Largo!

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Did you do your pickup for the R2R group buy yet? He has marco rock in the store. Not sure on prices, but it might be cheaper than shipping.

they have a 20% discount and basically nulled the shipping and took 5 bucks off the price.

50# for 115 shipped

so a little over 2 bucks per # = awesome deal. i should have purchased it on friday when it was 89$ shipped.

good luck with the new tank, I'll be watchin! The rock work in the pic looks great. Did he cement or putty them together? I can see it on his hands

from what i gathered from the thread.

needed or used =

Quick setting cement - Waterplug
Plastic hangers or acrylic rods - going with plastic. easier to come by and much CHEAPER
Drill - to drill holes in rock? not sure if that was needed info
Gloves - will use non-powder gloves so nothing gets on my rocks

not sure about cure time before placing into water

though it is dry rock i will have it sit in water from a water change for about 48 hours to cure

Marco Rocks are in - not too thrilled with the shapes i received. will be hard to emulate the rock work that i have pictures above with the HUGE pieces I received.

Sump/fuge is almost done. HUGE THANKS TO MIKEM AND RGAROFALO!!!!!

i plan on redoing my plumbing to accommodate the changes and paint them for visual appeal.

also, need to some searching for neater ways to hide all my wires.

Edwardw771

NJRC Member
I have those rocks in my 90 gallon in the Pic above. I do like the looks of them but you can't really change things around. Which I always end up doing for some reason.

awesome didn't know it was for your tank! i would have asked to buy it off of you if your not happy with it!

evoIX said:
Marco Rocks are in - not too thrilled with the shapes i received. will be hard to emulate the rock work that i have pictures above with the HUGE pieces I received.
that stinks...sorry to hear. Maybe you could drill it/break it into smaller pieces?

yeah. i'll have to see about that. i would hate to break it and not be what i expect. i guess no other way but try it out. hammer/chisel?

reminds me of that spongebob episode ;D sorry i have kids!

a few changes.

due to my neat freak thread i decided to go with an extra cabinet to place my 5gallon jug for top off and all my RKL.

i also used foam insulation for copper to hide my wires. i was walking through home depot and spotted it. cost 98cents

isn't the cleanest but it's black and it does it's job.

i should have walked through thoroughly. i'll probably redo my cables again once i look through home depot again.

you probably have what i'm looking for.