• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Fish Help Please!

Looking to add some fish to my 40 gallon reef tank.

I want colorful active fish to bring some life to my tank.

Currently I have a goby and pistol along with 3 peppermint shrimp. Also 2 small emerald crabs.

I will definitely add 2 clownfish but what else can I add that are active and colorful?

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
careful with the type of clowns, certain ones can become very aggressive. firefish are colorful, there may be a wrasse or two that would be suitable in that size tank, if you go on live aquaria you can search different kinds of fish, and on the right there is a drop bar you can use to sort out what fish are suitable in that size tank. Certain hawkfish would be an option as well.

careful with the type of clowns, certain ones can become very aggressive. firefish are colorful, there may be a wrasse or two that would be suitable in that size tank, if you go on live aquaria you can search different kinds of fish, and on the right there is a drop bar you can use to sort out what fish are suitable in that size tank. Certain hawkfish would be an option as well.

That site is great!

I just really want bright and active fish to see interacting with my tank. Fish shopping makes me really wish I had a huge tank haha.

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
Anthias would be a good choice. Lyretail are very nice along with bartletts. Midas Blenny comes to mind as well. Carpenters wrasse or possibly a mccoskers wrasse.

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I would go with lyre tail personally as a single anthias, they do well alone, and it will go male and they have some very nice coloring.

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
i was thinking a small angel but they may become a bit aggressive in a small tank. He also said reef tank, angels are hit or miss with corals.

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
I love my flame angel. My flame was one of the first fish I got. Went from my 36g to my current 54g. Keep him well feed and he hasn't nipped any of my corals. Also check out some Cardinalfish, such as the Baggi and/or PJ
Saltwater Aquarium Fish for marine Aquariums: Pajama Cardinalfish

Now I personally never had one but I seen videos and the Longnose Hawkfish look cool
Longnose Hawkfish

Now I do agree with @horseplay on be ready to pull a fish if they are not playing nice with your system cause what a fish does for one person does not mean they will act the same in a different tank.

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Anthias would be a good choice. Lyretail are very nice...mccoskers wrasse.
The two that immediately came to mind. I had one of each of these in my 40b and they did fantastic.
Also, if your tank is stable (1+ years old) and has pods living in it, a spotted mandarin is an unusual and beautiful fish. I loved watching mine gliding around hunting the rocks.

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Mandarins are one of my favorite as well, if you get him eating frozen food he'll stay fat and happy with that and the pods he finds

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
ORA Gold assessor basslets are a great choice too. They do well in groups, are beautiful fish and are pretty active but peaceful fish.

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
You guys are supposed to make my life easier ! Most of these I have never heard of.

Mandarins are amazingly beautiful! I have lots of choices I guess.

You guys are all the best!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
personally i wouldn't do mandarin's unless your tank is really "mature". it's not as easy as it may sound to get them to eat frozen food and most will only eat live pods and without a constant supply they will more likely starve and die. You'd need to buy some constantly or create some type haven for them in a fuge.

just my opinion (beautiful fish btw)

personally i wouldn't do mandarin's unless your tank is really "mature". it's not as easy as it may sound to get them to eat frozen food and most will only eat live pods and without a constant supply they will more likely starve and die. You'd need to buy some constantly or create some type haven for them in a fuge.

just my opinion (beautiful fish btw)

I have been looking into how hard it was to breed brine shrimp. My tank is new but most of my rocks and sand is from a very mature tank. I see pods everywhere both in my sump and tank. Regardless I really would like to learn to breed brine shrimp so I can keep them nice and fed so they don't go after corals.

Anyone know if this is possible ? Hatching them is really easy but I know nothing about breeding. (Maybe have them breed in the sump?)

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
I have never bred them before but aside from that, a mandarin will definitely eat up every last pod that you have in your tank in a very short period last time. @Paul B has an auto feeder/hatchery that he invented. He had a long thread on it and a few other things on this site

I have never bred them before but aside from that, a mandarin will definitely eat up every last pod that you have in your tank in a very short period last time. @Paul B has an auto feeder/hatchery that he invented. He had a long thread on it and a few other things on this site

I saw that, looked pretty simple to make. Just looking if there is any self sustaining way of producing them.

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
They will reproduce on their own as long as they have time to do so. You may want to try to start a "hatchery" and simultaneously purchase pods. Give them time to breed n multiply while still proving a mandarin with a supply of purchased pods.

It's what I would do

They will reproduce on their own as long as they have time to do so. You may want to try to start a "hatchery" and simultaneously purchase pods. Give them time to breed n multiply while still proving a mandarin with a supply of purchased pods.

It's what I would do

I'm going to try the hatching process now...well before committing to the fish.

So brine and pod travel safely up the return pump?