• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Flame tastes buds

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Well I have confirmed that my Flame Angel has a taste for some SPS corals such as Pocillpora and the Green Slimer frag I won at the meeting. I won't be getting rid of it as it's my favorite fish.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Phil,
Seems that way. Also, my Coral Beauty has disappeared since I got rid of the Keyhole. I am down to 1 dwarf angel now. I'll take that as sign I was pressing my luck. I wonder if the wife would go for another setup FOWLR....hahahahhhaa

Mavl,

Go for it. What's the worst that she can say? Is your flame actually eating the SPS or is he just irritating it so that their polyps don't extend?

thanks guys! everytime i start thinking about adding a juv angel to my tank, someone comes along and reminds me just why i havent yet. good looking out.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I would say irritating the crap out of them. No can do with another tank. Going to the reptile expo in Hamburg PA tomorrow. My son already has plans to buy some type of lizard. He wanted a snake but the wife said no way and agreed to a small lizard. Little does she know. He already has 5 tortoises and takes care of of my daughter's 3 water turtles while she is in college. Plus my tank, bearded dragon, gecko, dog, and 2 cats. Now you know why my wife will tell me no or send me to the hospital.

Patriot,

Well juv angel and dwarf angel aren't quite the same. Almost all full angels (adult and juv) will EAT SPS coral. A few exceptions but almost all need it in their diet. Dwarf angels are about 50-50. Coral Beauty, Flame Angel, Potter's are not known to eat corals, but they will taste things. Usually they see food on the polyps and nip at it since they are grazers. I said in another thread that my hippo tang does the same thing. He's just a pig in general and will taste/eat just about everything. He likes to nip my leather toadstool and steal food from my sebae anemone.

calaxa said:
Patriot,

Well juv angel and dwarf angel aren't quite the same. Almost all full angels (adult and juv) will EAT SPS coral. A few exceptions but almost all need it in their diet. Dwarf angels are about 50-50. Coral Beauty, Flame Angel, Potter's are not known to eat corals, but they will taste things. Usually they see food on the polyps and nip at it since they are grazers. I said in another thread that my hippo tang does the same thing. He's just a pig in general and will taste/eat just about everything. He likes to nip my leather toadstool and steal food from my sebae anemone.

thanks for clarifying. are you trying to talk me into adding Coral Beauty or Flame Angel. just kidding. i do love both of these fish and would love to add one, but I have been trying avoid any potential problem fish as there is no way i could ever remove a fish from my tank.

The solution is very very simple. Two tanks. One reef, one FOWLR.

Coral Beauty is almost always safe. I saw one the other day and the markings on it were so much nicer than mine. They're cheap too, think they're the cheapest angel. It depends on how many SPS you have. The term reef safe when talking about fish usually refers to SPS only. Keyword though is usually. What coral in your tank are you worried about? What other fish is in there? I actually want to get a golden angel but they're pretty rare and not that easy to acclimate. I also would like a Potter's. They look real nice under MH. But alas, I got 2 dwarves in a 90 and people say I should be lucky enough to have that.

Come now, isn't she irresistable? Look at her nip, I mean kiss that rock (Pretty sure my FA is female based on size, demeanor)

FlameAngel.jpg

And look at these two buddies swimming together (until the CB suddenly gets mad and chases the FA)

DSC_0008.jpg

It's doable but you probably will have to rearrange the rockwork. Both are considered on the "nicer" side of the spectrum and your tank is 6 ft so there should be enough room to establish swimming territories. I have these 2 in a 90 and they were introduced less than a week apart.

MAVL666 said:
Well I have confirmed that my Flame Angel has a taste for some SPS corals such as Pocillpora and the Green Slimer frag I won at the meeting. I won't be getting rid of it as it's my favorite fish.

Do you leave nori in the tank? Fatten it up and maybe it will lose interest in your corals.

How many of you guys with dwarf angels keep clams? And if you do, how long have the 2 co-existed? I love them, they are so pretty, but I just won't chance it.

JerseyWendy said:
How many of you guys with dwarf angels keep clams? And if you do, how long have the 2 co-existed? I love them, they are so pretty, but I just won't chance it.

Get a Golden Angel, Wendy! Most reef safe angel out there. Won't touch corals and won't touch clams. Great fish. Just kind of expensive ($100 or so).

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I do feed Nori plus I have an auyomatic feeder that dumos Hikari seaweed flakes 2x a day.
Candi, I had a clam with the 3 dwarfs but it didn't last long. Roy has a clam with his potters.