• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Flame tastes buds

jonathan. said:
Get a Golden Angel, Wendy! Most reef safe angel out there. Won't touch corals and won't touch clams. Great fish. Just kind of expensive ($100 or so).

Thanks for the hint, Jonathan. Now let me go look them up and do some research. ;D

i have a beautiful potters, that has never touched a coral.... aquatic obsessions always seems to have a couple on hand.... mine is sometimes a little rough on the ebli angel, but they seem to have an arrangement...

Goldens are gorgeous. They are very atypical angels. Very very shy. Will not do well with boisterous fish. Not aggressive at all. Can be kept in pairs easily. Expensive if even available. I have seen them only once in any LFS. I know nyaquatics had 2 recently for good price ($90). They are extremely difficult to feed from what I hear. May feed on pods as most success stories are only in well established tanks.

As to your original question Wendy. I do not keep clams yet. I will be getting one soon but not sure I will put in same tank as an angel. Frankly, they're not trustworthy enough. They are just too curious and they teach my hippo tangs some bad things and he doesn't need any more reinforcement as to what to try and eat.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
We have a bellus with a clam and have had no problems with them together.

I will stay away from the Golden because from what I read they are not the easiest fish to keep (alive and/or happy). If I ever MUST have an angel, it will be a bellus.

I didn't want to start a new thread knowing that there is a thread out there so sorry for pulling this out from the dead. I would love a flame angel but i want to make sure he would be fine with softies/mushrooms/polyps/zoas?

evoIX said:
I didn't want to start a new thread knowing that there is a thread out there so sorry for pulling this out from the dead. I would love a flame angel but i want to make sure he would be fine with softies/mushrooms/polyps/zoas?

It will be a chance with any angle, just keep it well fed if you try one.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Evoix,
Mine leaves the softies and shrooms alone. He would peck at the surrounding area of the zoas and polyps looking for bits of food. This caused them to not open much. Mainly happened on small frags of them.
Mark

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
We have a flame with zoas and mushrooms and he leaves them alone. We also make sure to keep him well fed with mysis and seaweed. You always have to be carefull, I sometimes catch my clowns nipping at my zoas and palys.