• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Fluconazole

I'd say post it in the share forum with a disclaimer and then people can choose whether to try it. Tech M no longer works. There is some talk now that Brightwells mg suppliment has the mystery ingredient that was in the old Tech M formulation (possibly lithium) but there's not a lot of evidence out there yet that it definitely worsk. I certainly would have tried this before going the nuclear route.

I picked up ReefHD Reef Flux (Fluconazole 200mg) recently and dosed 5 pills worth for my 46g to battle hair algae. I shut off my skimmer for 3 days, but left on my HOB refugium that has a marine pure block in there (problem?) and a cloth prefilter (problem?). I know that this treatment should last 14 days, but after looking at videos and pictures I started to get impatient and after about 5 days I started to hand pick out my GHA to help it along. Well after about 9 days I have not seen improvement near what others have experienced and I'm considering reducing and possibly turning off the HOB refugium for 3 days. Another factor could be that I introduced a new LED light that I have running at a lower light level for acclimation. Could this be another possible reason why the treatment isn't having an effect?

If it's easily accessible you can spot treat it with hydrogen peroxide I used in the past and works pretty good just killed some truf algea with it the other day that was on a powerhead

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

It's all over the rocks. I tried turning up the lights, but my corals retracted a bit so I am gonna keep it where it is at for a bit longer. I'll go a couple more days before trying a second treatment.

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
Flueconazole is used to treat bryopsis and has no affect on hair algea

If the tank is young (less than 1 year old), you can kind of expect various waves of algaes before the tank begins to balance out the algae/bacterial strains. No amount of chemical filtration will cover it up entirely. Ways to reduce the chance of prolonging it would be to ensure your sandbed is either very shallow and kept clean, or very deep and never touched. Urchins and turbo snails love to consume hair algae, and if your tank is 100 gallons or bigger, Foxface rabbitfish are spectacular algae eaters as well. Just make sure you're not overfeeding, keep up with water changes, make sure your skimmer is working well, and conservative use of GFO and carbon. Time, patience, and diligence as well as some tank size-appropriate livestock additions will have your algae issues under control.

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
With wiping hydrogen peroxide on your rocks: wipe and rinse with salt water. Do it in small batches in the course of 2 weeks