• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Fluconazole

erics210

NJRC Member
good or not - I started getting certain rocks with hair algae on them.
some I just removed as hey wee small, but a few others were covered with GSP and wanted to try and salvage.
I pulled the rock, dipped in a less than 10% bleach/salt water bath, then left in warmed salt water overnight with a power head. killed all the algae and GSP survived. Only did this on one rock. a week or so later did another. and a couple more after that. does not appear to have caused any other issues and that was over a month ago

I picked up ReefHD Reef Flux (Fluconazole 200mg) recently and dosed 5 pills worth for my 46g to battle hair algae. I shut off my skimmer for 3 days, but left on my HOB refugium that has a marine pure block in there (problem?) and a cloth prefilter (problem?). I know that this treatment should last 14 days, but after looking at videos and pictures I started to get impatient and after about 5 days I started to hand pick out my GHA to help it along. Well after about 9 days I have not seen improvement near what others have experienced and I'm considering reducing and possibly turning off the HOB refugium for 3 days. Another factor could be that I introduced a new LED light that I have running at a lower light level for acclimation. Could this be another possible reason why the treatment isn't having an effect?
Fluconazole can wipeout hair algae. Results can be hit or miss but i suspect that some of those failures may have been to not allowing it enough time to be effective. It tends to take care of bryopsis with 14 days. With green hair algae it can take a week longer up ton21 days. Some people report needing a second treatment. I did a tank restart a little over a year ago for bryopsis... before this treatment was well known. Afterwards I not too suprsingly had a GHA issue and noticed a few strands of bryopsis. Dosed fluconazole and it took care of then bryopsis quickly but it did take longer to kill the GHA... 3 or 4 weeks. It did totally wipe it out and didn't see a speck of it in my tank until a month ago. You aren't running carbon correct? I'd let it run in your system for another week or two and see what happens.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

I am not running carbon. The only thing I have filtering is a prefilter cloth and a marine pure block. My tank is 5 years old so it is not new, I only have 4 small fish and I only feed a pinch of pellets once per day. I initially noticed the white specks on the gha that I saw in pictures, but I never saw a browning of the GHA or any signs of diminishing. It has been 2 weeks now. and i believe I have seen new growth.