• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Fred's Fluval Reef 1/30/2010

I discovered a new Red Starfish and 2 worms. lol

Red Starfish hitch hiker
4333696264_e27282de4f_o.jpg

4332938133_b671658bc2_b.jpg

Worms - Any know which type? Good/Bad?
4333715718_87f93c9bb6_o.jpg

I had to take these with the iphone as my digital camera(canon 4mp) didnt focus in too well. Any cool camera suggestions? :)

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Don't know too much about the starfish, but the worms are common bristle worms. They are essentially a free clean up crew as they eat food that is not broken down. For a while they were considered the mortal enemy but now most people will let them be because they are a good part of the cleanup crew. They can hurt corals if they get big, and they will stick their bristles into your finger if you try and grab them. I would probably not worry about them, they look pretty small.

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
The starfish is an asternia species. Some feed on corals others are algae grazers. I have them in all my tanks and never had any issues with them. Others will tell you otherwise.

panmanmatt said:
The starfish is an asternia species. Some feed on corals others are algae grazers. I have them in all my tanks and never had any issues with them. Others will tell you otherwise.

Thx Panmanmatt. Do you feed them (starfish) anything or dose anything in particular?

mnat said:
Don't know too much about the starfish, but the worms are common bristle worms. They are essentially a free clean up crew as they eat food that is not broken down. For a while they were considered the mortal enemy but now most people will let them be because they are a good part of the cleanup crew. They can hurt corals if they get big, and they will stick their bristles into your finger if you try and grab them. I would probably not worry about them, they look pretty small.

Thx Mnat. I will let the bristle worms be for now. If needed, how do I get rid of them other than the worm catcher?

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
fcruz420 said:
panmanmatt said:

Thx Panmanmatt. Do you feed them (starfish) anything or dose anything in particular?

Nope I don't feed them anything at all. They just graze on the rock and glass.

I love crushed coral, but due to the small opening on this tank I probably wont be able to maintain the waste trapped correctly :'(

My foster&smith package came in today so new live sand and epoxy to create aquascape :eek: ;D...... I will post pics of course sometime this weekend. :D

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
fcruz420 said:
mnat said:

Thx Mnat. I will let the bristle worms be for now. If needed, how do I get rid of them other than the worm catcher?

You can pull them out at night with tweezers if you can grab them. Arrow crabs and dottybacks will eat them, but I would not recommend putting either into that small of a tank. The arrow crab maybe as a loaner, but once they go through your bristle worms they might turn on your snails yet.

You can pull them out at night with tweezers if you can grab them. Arrow crabs and dottybacks will eat them, but I would not recommend putting either into that small of a tank. The arrow crab maybe as a loaner, but once they go through your bristle worms they might turn on your snails yet.

Ahhhhh choices choices. Im stuck on what to do. The tank still has to cycle so maybe that can take the worms lol?

Boy ohhh boy I didnt know what I had lined up today! :eek:

I finally received my shipment:
4334298081_bb2a39fe70_b.jpg

I finally removed the crushed coral and added 5lbs of Caribsea LS. I also took it upon myself to complete my aquascape and not just have the LR laying there anymore :eek:. I went on an epoxy frenzy and I think the aquascape is ok for now. What do ya'll think?

Positioning LR for crushed coral removal
4336761366_9c187e91ef_b.jpg

Half done!!
4336015407_d8f2e41016_b.jpg

First FTS after LS and water:
4336015491_0bb0e89c74_b.jpg

4336761618_223ae2e384_b.jpg

Starting to clear up a little:
4336761732_fc8faaa505_b.jpg

4336761812_36809793bb_b.jpg

New Aquascape:
4336761886_873132e858_b.jpg

4336015867_88a38131c2_b.jpg

What ya'll think? :-\

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
The new rock work looks great. It might slow you down a bit at the beginning here to change the sand, but you just saved your self a ton of headaches further down the road. We had crushed coral in two of our tanks and replaced it after we already had live stock in the tank which was not fun.

mnat said:
The new rock work looks great. It might slow you down a bit at the beginning here to change the sand, but you just saved your self a ton of headaches further down the road. We had crushed coral in two of our tanks and replaced it after we already had live stock in the tank which was not fun.
Thx Mnat. I'm still trying to figure out how to see individual pages/members tanks.

SWITCH420 said:
the rock looks good like that nice tank good luck
Thx Switch420 ;D

Something just came to mind. Even though I just switched from crushed coral to LS, will it "reset" the new tank cycle?

To begin please note majority of my LR is already "mature" as it came from an establish system. I guess testing the water levels will tell huh? Should I jump start by maybe placing some food in my tank to create the ammonia spike or like it work itself out?

You can use a piece of raw shrimp in the tank to help you cycle...
And yes you will be going through another full cycle...
If it is live sand

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Looks like you already have ammonia in your tank so I would just wait and be patient until it drops to zero. If you want to lessen the amount of time pick up some biospira which is bacteria.

If you go through he nano thread here you will see all of our tanks.