• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Freshoffthegrill's 120G Reef Tank

Tank update:

I put more corals into the tank and all was well until the last three weeks. A rusting wet side on my Vortech pump and metal hose clamps caused a build up of Tin in the tank (ICP test). 1x Torch, 1x Acro frag, 3x Montipora colonies, one of which grew out from a frag i got at the February meeting. Total bummer.

Currently doing large WCs in the tank over the next few weeks.

I am taking the tank in a new direction, I am keeping the Algae Scrubber and I am starting to use the Triton Other Methods on the tank. I am excited to see if this approach makes a difference, I like the idea of knowing more about what I am putting in the tank and being able to correct specific macro and trace elements. Previously, I was using Acropower and Seaelements, both of which made the tank successful, but consitiuted a shotgun pattern approach to replacing elements depleted in the tank.

Looks fantastic. I read back a bit and you made mention that you were going triton. Are you still doing that. And if so. How has it affected the tank both positive and negative.

Looks fantastic. I read back a bit and you made mention that you were going triton. Are you still doing that. And if so. How has it affected the tank both positive and negative.
I made the switch to Triton, first using the Other Methods, as I was still running the Algae Scrubber, a month ago I switched to the "Triton Method", by removing the scrubber and adding a grow light over the sump and a smaller protein skimmer. The impact I noticed on the tank was better coral coloration, polyp extension and growth rate of the coral.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I made the switch to Triton, first using the Other Methods, as I was still running the Algae Scrubber, a month ago I switched to the "Triton Method", by removing the scrubber and adding a grow light over the sump and a smaller protein skimmer. The impact I noticed on the tank was better coral coloration, polyp extension and growth rate of the coral.

Well then. Sounds like a positive outcome. That’s awesome. Any side affects you didn't expect or that were otherwise negative

Well then. Sounds like a positive outcome. That’s awesome. Any side affects you didn't expect or that were otherwise negative
If anything it's the price of the supplements and the water tests you send out for analysis. I battled Tin in my water which the water tests brought to light, I finally narrowed it down to contaminated carbon and rusting screws from my radio light mount. So the price was worth it.

On thing I did notice was that there was an algae bloom in the tank, hair algae on the rocks, however it wasn't a major problem because I increased the photo period for the algae grow light and manually removed what I could. I attribute it to the availability of trace elements from dosing Triton.

Well the tank has seen better days. I put the algae scrubber back on the tank. The chaeto refugium as the primary nutrient export method did not work. The triton method suggests removing filter socks and allow the detritus to collect in the refugium this caused a detritus build up in the display and sump. I was not able to grow enough in the refugium to remove as much nutrients as the scrubber did. This could be because the light for the fuge was too strong or the flow through the sump wasn't right. Regardless I am in the process of cleaning the tank and sump daily. Two of my acro colonies have browned out and other corals in the tank have lost their color. I am waiting for a water test to see where the trace elements are at.