• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Game Changer Crossflow Water Movement Device Coming out from Maxspect.

dnov99

FRAG SWAP VENDOR
Very promising product, I'm looking forward to seeing this in person for sure! I think it would make a great video to have it on the back of my peninsula tank!!! :)

I could see this in conjunction with an mp 40. the mp 40 on the side and a gyre on the bottom back. that would give some amazing random flow patterns. It would also take care of any dead spots under and around the rock work.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Considering the low flow of my Elos, I would also be very interested in this as well. Looks really promising.

Edwardw771

NJRC Member
I could see this in conjunction with an mp 40. the mp 40 on the side and a gyre on the bottom back. that would give some amazing random flow patterns. It would also take care of any dead spots under and around the rock work.

I'm hoping to ditch the MP40s and Jebo pumps this pump being 12" from end to end. Dead spots should be a thing of the past even behind the rocks.

Tazmaniancowboy

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I like the way they are slim and can be mounted vertically. I would thing this is great to get detritus from behind rockwork

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
That last video really showed me some finer details on how this thing works and I have to admit I'm even more impressed with it now too. Here are some of my observations after watching it:

- The display with the balls in it didn't have any rock work or sand bed to give a true "real world" presentation. Still, if you keep this up high on the tank (and that showed that you can keep it really high without sucking air) then you will likely avoid any rock or sand obstructions anyway, at least on the push. I'd just like to see those balls in a tank with rockwork to see how they get pushed around the rocks or into it, etc.

- Really love how easy it is to move it or flip positions. My VorTech requires me to stick one hand in the tank to grab the wet side while the other hand grabs the dry side... and then I still need to move the rubber piece too. Oh, and I have to power it all off to move it too, which you don't have to do with the Gyre. The VorTech does have the heat on the outside though, which still is a plus for it... but we don't know how much, if any heat these things generate yet so that may not be a factor. The wire does run into the tank though, so obviously the motor part is in the tank.

- I did notice that those balls were getting stuck underneath of it pretty often... but they all seemed to eventually work themselves out from back there too. I don't think this will even be an issue with moving water since it will flow right through it, but if any mushrooms, anemones, or weak swimming fish wind up floating around under there, they could potentially get sucked up and have trouble getting out. Maybe they could add a small angled shield along the bottom to sort of aim the suction water towards the front instead of right into the back? I don't know how that would affect the overall performance of it, but might be worth looking into Chris.

- I liked the fact that you can change the angle of the flow by that little roller adjuster. Maybe that would fix the suction thing I noted above? Even if not, I could see that would be something worth playing with to really customize the flow you want to get.

- I liked the fact that you could reverse the flow! Sounds like that could really improve a "feeding mode" function and sort of push some food down towards corals on the bottom. Would like to see this in action (in a tank with rock, sand, and corals) to see how effective it really is... but the idea sounds good to me.

- Also was nice to hear about the Android / iPhone apps they are working on. I currently have one that works my VorTechs through my RA controller (which has it's own special transmitter to control the VorTech), so if I could get that to work the same way, I'd be happy. I'd prefer to be able to do it through my RA app instead of using 2 different apps, but it wouldn't be a deal breaker if I could still do what I needed to remotely. The thing I like about having the RA control it though is the fact that I can set a schedule (or randomly change on the fly with the app) for the wave types. For instance, I can have mine automatically go into feeding mode every day at 7:30 PM for a duration of 5-10 minutes, then run in the "nutrient export mode" for 15 minutes, then go back to what the default setting is. Or, I can run it in full on most of the day, kick into "short pulse" or "reef crest mode" for a couple hours, change to "long pulse" for a couple hours, then go back to full until "night mode" starts. Having the ability to let my controller set the mode/speed and the ability to program any sequence I want is a big thing that I love about my VorTechs.

Anyway, the interest in these things is really growing for me. :encouragement: