• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Generators

falconut

NJRC Member
Hmm, that looks like a pretty good deal... and there is a TSC relatively close to me. I might have to check that one out.

I noticed it only has 1 120v receptacle (well, there are 3, but 2 of them are pin types that I wouldn't use). Did you just plug a power strip into that and then split it off from there?

Hey George, I checked the store near us and they don't have it in stock. Couldn't you just get a V30A plug and wire it in to use the other two plugs or is there more to it? In the owners manual it says the regular V20 receptacle is for up to 2400 watts, while the other two V30A Twist-Lock and RV receptacles are for up to 3500 watts.

I got lucky too. We lost power for a grand total of 1 minute on sunday. My basement flooded, but that was because my sump pump picked a very inopportune time to crap the bed. I was talking about getting a generator months ago, but forgot. I tried for three days to find one anywhere starting last monday, thinking I had plenty of time, but they were all sold out. I just got back from my local home depot though, with a 5,500-8,000 peak watt generator. With all the money we all have invested in our tanks, I think a generator is an essential "must have" back up item, and I am very glad I lucked out, but sick to my stomach at the thought of what could have happened to my tank... And with 5,500 running watts I should have enough to run all appliances on all tanks, and my sump pump. But it is less about the money for me, and more about my fish. It took me a LONG time to put together my current collection of wrasses, and other fish, and I love them and their personalities. In other words they are irreplaceable to me. I just left the home depot on rt 28 in bridgewater, they still had 6 of the same generator I just bought, and many smaller models left. If you have the money, a $700.00 investment now-will save you much frustration and at least 4 times as much money in the long run. My secondary back up plan was to run inverters from the car-a piss poor option, but unavoidable with the panic buying.

Which generator brands are more reliable/practical ?

My mom has a coleman, with a briggs & straton engine. we used it during floyd, and other long term outages. I tested it before this storm, and it started right up, but had a gas leak. (varnish in the fuel cup on the carbeurator, blocking the float valve from closing). after I cleaned out the fuel cup, the valve functioned perfectly, and the generator started right up, and ran well. after not being run for 7 years. I just bought a briggs and straton brand generator, i like the briggs motors, and subaru motors the best. I can also recommend Honda, and kholer small motors too. I would imagine any known brand of generator, with those brands of small engines should be good to go. As an aside, we have a pressure washer from rigid with the subaru motor, and the motor is a freaking BEAST. Always starts right up, and is powerful as hell for it's size and weight. Runs very smooth too. More important is the wattage you will need. My return pump is rated at over 250 watts. Add in other associated tank appliances, and the wattage needed adds up quickly. You may also need to run a sump pump, refrigerator, etc. so I would go for the highest wattage generator that you can afford.

No store is going to take back a used generator. I doubt there will be any discounts placed on them once they are returned if they are brand new in an unopened box. Keep an eye on the warehouse clubs like Costco. Every few years they come out with newer models and the old ones are discontinued and greatly discounted. That is how I picked up mine a few years back...

Was behind a guy in line that was returning 2 generators today, all used just for the storm. Home depot takes back anything! Im there 4 -5 x a week and always bringing stuff back. In my trade im constantly buying new or just more tools, Saws , compressor, nail guns, a power washer ( All used then broke) are all on the list of stuff ive brought back over the years. It really is unreal the stuff they take back. They will either put them on the floor with a discount if the people returning them say they just dont need it, or return them to vendor if people tell them they r being returned cause they r broke or not working right. Depot always has used stuff like this for sale.

Hmm, that looks like a pretty good deal... and there is a TSC relatively close to me. I might have to check that one out.

I noticed it only has 1 120v receptacle (well, there are 3, but 2 of them are pin types that I wouldn't use). Did you just plug a power strip into that and then split it off from there?

Sorry I didnt get back to you a little sooner George. I used to have a twist lock that split into 2 120v plugs so that each plug had a 30 amp breaker. but since i can't find that plug i used to 3 way adapter and ran 2 cords inside then power strips etc as i needed. Not the best idea but we were awake and home wile in use (if that makes the thought better). Im thinking I am going to get a Manual Transfer Switch so i can just run one cord off the 240 twist lock.

I wish i had $5k to get a Natural Gas standby gen for the whole house installed.

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Hey George, I checked the store near us and they don't have it in stock. Couldn't you just get a V30A plug and wire it in to use the other two plugs or is there more to it? In the owners manual it says the regular V20 receptacle is for up to 2400 watts, while the other two V30A Twist-Lock and RV receptacles are for up to 3500 watts.

Check with Camping World, they have them for the same price. I picked one up from Lakewood store on Friday and they had over a pallet full of them left. Not sure of the store down off of 295 has them in stock but I'm sure they do.

The_Codfather

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Matt, You was in Lakewood Friday.. Hope you went there after Shabbat?.. It's a crazy time just before sundown

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Matt, You was in Lakewood Friday.. Hope you went there after Shabbat?.. It's a crazy time just before sundown

I was only in Lakewood long enough to get the generator then hightailed it back across he border into Toms River. Was there about 3:30 so still had plenty of sunlight left.

falconut

NJRC Member
Check with Camping World, they have them for the same price. I picked one up from Lakewood store on Friday and they had over a pallet full of them left. Not sure of the store down off of 295 has them in stock but I'm sure they do.

Thanks Matt. The one closer to me does have 100, but I either have to become a member or pay more, so I'm going to use them as a last resort. If the other stores restock in the next week or two, I'll just buy from them.