• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Going insane with overflow

I have 2 700 gph GLASSHOLE OVERFLOWS, they are driving me CRAZY! The noise is so loud it is ridic!

Basically I've tried adjusting the tubes in the back of the overflow, I tried adjusting the drains to throttle them back(not my first choice), and I even turned the return WAY down. The return needs to be virtually off in order for the noise to be gone.

The sound is a sound like if water was flushed down a toilet, except like a niagra falls and nails on a chalkboard. I'm legitimately close to unplugging the tank and draining it, it is BAD! Tang police:miserable::cry::undecided::frown::rolleyes::(:mad:!!!

HELP ME HELP ME HELP ME :congratulatory::cool:

sounds like you havnt tried ear plugs. :biggrin:

my vortech and return pump are prob. the 2 loudest things on my tank, the vortech being the loudest. how big of a return pump are you running? my overflow is silent, its the pumps that i hear.

That is the question....I T'd my return through a TLF reactor to cut down on the overflow...helped the sound level too. That was after seeing Hawkeyes setup BTW, not some lightbulb going off in my head.

Sounds like back pressure building up in the overflow. I had same problem with my glassholes overflow. One of the guys at AO I think Will told me to cut some grooves in the pipe just above water level in sump. Instead I just drilled a hole in the last elbow just before water enters sump. Noise gone. My overflow, while a nano is dead silent. Here is a pic.
680b5e31.jpg

My flow is a lot less then yours though. I probably did not explain it well, Mabye the guys at AO could explain better.

My MP-10 is the loudest thing also. Sounds like a jet engine when flow ramps up. Driving me crazy.

Can you snap where the hole is please?

It is a eheim 1262 900 gph, overflows rates for 700 gph each and I do have it t off to go to the fuge

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Brandon, I don’t understand why you are getting noise. Was this a used tank? And did you get all the pieces to the overflow boxes? They are baffled, so there shouldn’t be any noise. Also, especially if this is a used system, check to see if the tubes coming out of the elbows are clear. I recently had that problem, which resulted in additional noise.

If all else fails, I'll sell you one of the becketted skimmers I have (I have three :p )….they will certainly drown out the noise of the Glass-Holes....they truly suck air like a Hoover vacuum.

Used tank from John audios, checked ths tubes after your thread and nothing in them, the baffle is installed yes.

Can you snap where the hole is please?

It is a eheim 1262 900 gph, overflows rates for 700 gph each and I do have it t off to go to the fuge

Here is a closer pic
ae7d8be7.jpg

The tube is a piece of the tubing that glassholes sent with the overflow. I drilled the hole a little off of the to by mistake. So that is there to just keep the water in and still let air out. It pretty tight in the cabinet so that's pretty much the best pic I can get. As I understand it, it's basically just letting out air so back pressure does not build up, which leads to the gurgling sound.

Yes he had noise he was running a mag 18 and a skimmer that sounds e like a mac truck

Does water not splash back from that or out of that? Thanks for the pic and my pipes are straight no 90 like that blah

When we setup all the new tanks here at the new house, I really wanted to be sure they were all quiet (all 10 tanks!). But, it took swapping out all the overflows with new ones - all are pretty quiet now, I'm pretty pleased with it. I do however, have a stack of old overflows, about 6 pair or so - you're welcome to have them ... just to try something different, swap them around, whatever. PM me anytime ...

Does water not splash back from that or out of that? Thanks for the pic and my pipes are straight no 90 like that blah

All I get is a bit of salt creep. That's why I put the tube before the tube the water would come out.

Prob somethin simple thats getting overlooked. I have the 1500 and its pretty quiet. Post some pics so we can diagnose. Theres no 150$ min diagnostics fee like at the dealerships, its free here with the 10$ membership LOL

howze01

NJRC Member
After I added the tube into the 90 at the the bulkhead, the gurgling mostly went away. I'd like to try the hole in the tube since its underwater but still trying to figure that out with flexible PVC

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Jonathan, you have my curiosity….what do you mean you “added the tube.” I thought all Glass-Holes overflows came with this tube in the 90 elbow at the bulkhead??? We are talking Glass-Holes, aren’t we? My elbows were already drilled….and I would think that if the tube wasn’t there, water would be spitting out that hole.

Here is Brandon's prob I think. Maybe he is just not explaining properly or just a diff way of saying it....

The GH overflows are huge I think that there are two 1 1/2 holes for the single overflow. The sound that he is talking about seems to be that te overflow is draining SO FAST that the overflow basically remains EMPTY at all times, so it is basically the water splashing inside the overflow.

Brandon try to turn off one of your gate valves to one of the drains! Lets see if that ends it. Just like any other overflow the water fills up the overflow so the water runs into water.

Think of taking standard reef tank and pulling out the durso and the water drains to the bottom of the tank, you will get horrible sound!!