• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Going insane with overflow

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I’m pretty sure Brandon has two 700 gph kits. Each kit has a single 1 ½ line to drain to the sump. So he effectively has the capacity of 1400 gph. I don’t think it’s a supply problem like you’re suggesting. I think it’s a plumbing problem….something just not set up right, or with the best configuration.

I have a 1500 GH kit that has two 1 ½ lines coming out the back, and only have a MAG 9.5 as my return pump. I have no noise problem at all, and my guesstimate, using the RC head-loss calculator, is that I’m pushing about 570 gph up to my DT. Again, well below capacity of the overflow, and no noise.

If I was closer to Brandon, I’d stop by and check it out.

Actually your right, i was thinking of different buddy with tank. He does have dual returns.

Ask Brandon I actually told him that he should change his plumbing :) He didn't want to I would have tied both returns together behind the tank and then down into the sump as one return.

But the noise is coming directly out the the actual overflows just so you know. By simply putting filter pad into the sides of the overflows to basically carry the water to the bottom of the overflow it stopped the sounds. So the prob is something with the overflow (I think)

howze01

NJRC Member
Jonathan, you have my curiosity….what do you mean you “added the tube.” I thought all Glass-Holes overflows came with this tube in the 90 elbow at the bulkhead??? We are talking Glass-Holes, aren’t we? My elbows were already drilled….and I would think that if the tube wasn’t there, water would be spitting out that hole.

I bought a used overflow kit and someone had glued pieces to the 90. I didn't want them so I got a new 90 from glass holes but it wasnt drilled with the tube so I had to add it.

lmao you lay it over the baffle inside the overflow and it HELPS tremendously. Now I can't even hear the tank at all, same wroked when I stuffed filter floss in it, but that caused my tank to overflow :Shh:.

Well spent 8 hours working on cleaning the room outside/organizing stuff and whatnot. I think my 75g sump may be leaking around the bottom trim, but going to wait a few days before I cross that path.

I did move over the helfrichi and snails to the display though!!!

They sent me it free just enough to fit in the overflow otherwise I'd give you free free

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk

Fish Brain

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I found a place that sells 12"x13" mats for $5 so no big deal. I'll have enough for both my tanks and leftover for anyone else that wants some for their G-H overflow.

howze01

NJRC Member
:applause: I still have your cover so I will bring that too. Hopefully that stuff works since I still have a bit of a gurgle.

Fish Brain

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
If it works, great! If it cuts down noise a little, good. If it doesn't work, it was only $5.