• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Gonna be a big one!

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
96"x24"x12" Frag Tank

Parts is parts.
96-24-12FragTank003.jpg

Got the ends on.
96-24-12FragTank004.jpg

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Thanks for the offer Sam....I really appericate it.
I just saw a post where you said your in Somerset. Ahhh, I'm in Cape May. 4+ round trip. D'oh.
See ya tomorrow night, say around 7 ish? ;)

Almost 120 gallons... Nice! Going to be on a seperate system?? Have fun flowing that thing! Similiar idea to what me and Billy want to do next. Using 1/2" I'm guessing?

more pics, more pics!!!

C

concept3

oh i wish i had a garage....or a basement....or an extra room....or a house

nice frag tank rich. i can't wait to see it in action. i can't wait to get one..... i mean i can't wait to get one down the road :D

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
It's not for me so I don't know the specifics on the plumbing, lighting and such. Hope to see it in use as well.

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
jazzsam said:
Good point but I am around NJ all the time. I can always plan to be in one part on NJ if you need a hand.
Thanks again Sam. It's that helping hand spirit like yours that makes this club great.

Hey Rich, what do you think this costs to make in parts alone?

Where do you usually pick up such large pieces of plexiglass?

Thanks,
Carlo

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I cut the parts from a 4'x8' sheet of 3/8" cast.

Full sheets are sold for between $4 and $8 /sf.

You can get full sheets from:
Total Plastics - near Trenton
Northeast Plastics - NE Philly
Acme Plastics - West Hanover
Freckled face kid.com - Online

HTH

Looking good Rich! Lemme know if you need a hand. I'm off all weekend (WOW! Go figure, a weekend off!). I don't know how much help I'd be, but I would do my best. I'm a good gofer! ;D

(plus I still need to get some chaeto off ya!)

Subliminal

NJRC Member
How hard is the acrylic to work with?

I understand the glueing process works great and actually 'welds' the acrylic together, and is super strong. Is it hard to get a good seal, or do you just pretty much lay a bead, smooth it out and clamp it together?

Also, how about cutting? Take any finesse?

C

concept3

Subliminal said:
How hard is the acrylic to work with?

I understand the glueing process works great and actually 'welds' the acrylic together, and is super strong. Is it hard to get a good seal, or do you just pretty much lay a bead, smooth it out and clamp it together?

Also, how about cutting? Take any finesse?

i think the acrylic masters use the pins method. they stick pins in between the two pieces to be joined, and then run acrylic cement (weldon sumfin sumfin) between the two. The capillary action will bond the two as soon as the weldon touches the two end pieces. I believe the pins are removeed at this point. Weldon 16 is thicker and is used mainly for major holes/cracks/imperfections.

as far as cutting something that thick, I think they use a table saw or router. I just score small pieces up to 1/8 inch thick and snap it at the edge of a table, it's usually straight but definitely not perfect. Not perfect enough for an edge where waterproofing is needed.

Rich – Looking great.
The tank is being built for me :).
My system is:
Main tank 215/gallon
125/gallon refugium
125/gallon sump.

The frag-tank will have a closed loop system and will also use the refugium and the sump from the main show tank...

I'll post some photos this weekend, if you would like to what's what.

Bill