• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Has Anyone considered using our Ocean"s Water???

iTzJu

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
I totally am and I know it if saying what's on my mind and defending my point mean that that's what I am. And of course you know by now how the saying goes, the question is are you man (or woman) enough to admit it too?

On the other side of the coin, maybe some of the old timers here could stand to learn something as well. Having an aquarium running for 42 years or whatever is amazing, but at the same time things do change. There are new techniques, there are new people and new ideas. If there were not people like me that challenge things you would all still be using under-gravel filters and bio-wheels.

Maybe instead of jumping on the popular band-wagon and scalding the newbie you could actually read what he has to say and consider the opinion before blasting him. Oh and FYI, I may be a newbie on this forum but the fact is I am fairly certain I have been doing this longer then the good majority of the members here.

cool story...please tell us more. :miserable:

DeadHorse

I would take you more seriously if you actually brought something new to the table besides being an ahole.

oh, and good for you for doing this longer than most of us. congratulations.

cool story...please tell us more. :miserable:

DeadHorse

I would take you more seriously if you actually brought something new to the table besides being an ahole.

oh, and good for you for doing this longer than most of us. congratulations.

+1 it is not what you are saying Jason, it is how you are saying it. You came off as if your way of doing things is the only way and if you are not doing it this particular way you shouldn't be in the hobby. These are really cool people that have a great passion for what they do (and I am not "one of the good old boys", I have not been registered for a year yet and a paid member for maybe only 5 months). There is a better way to get your point across without being as abrasive as you have been.

That is awesome Joe B!
I grew up at 34th and Pacific in Longport, and did that for YEARS in the spring and summer for my local tank (I had VERY indulgent parents who let me set up my first "real" saltwater tank at 9, and a 2d tank in the spring and summer with the critters I caught from 10 onwards). I'ld talk my mom or later my older brother into driving me to the point in longport, and I used a pump with tubing to pump water into a bucket, and then I would take it home and do a WC.
Hope you have good luck!
I once caught a butterfly at the rocks dividing Longport and Margate, we will have to compare notes some time.

Right on!!! I grew up in Brig... When I was a kid we'd catch anything & everything and keep it in a Mickey Mouse pool in the yard. I've caught lots of non native things over the years. I've been inspired by some of the collections by groups like the Long Island Aquarium to collect Caribbean fish at the right time of the year. I've been itching to drag a net, at the right time of the year, on some grassy shallows and see what comes up.

I ended up finding a spot on the first rock pile on the inlet where I could straddle 2 rocks and fill up. Collected 10gal and have it circulating and warming. I'll keep you posted.

I tested kh is at 7... Salinity is at 1.20-1.21. Why do we keep our reefs at an elevated rate?

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
........... Salinity is at 1.20-1.21. Why do we keep our reefs at an elevated rate?

Good question Joe. The simple answer, the average salinity of the ocean is 35 ppt. However, if you look at a map of the world, you will see how salinity differs around the world.

81aa9ced-4fb6-47d5-84d1-6102c59226bd_zps56409239.jpg

In addition, the salinity also changes in depth, as seen here:

salinity_v_depth_zpsb940cf0f.gif

And my final answer, the salt companies sell more salt if you’re making it at the higher concentrations.

Heading out to the capemay shore to try and catch the incoming. I'm grabbing enough for one small and one big water change. I'll let you know how it all goes :)

Good question Joe. The simple answer, the average salinity of the ocean is 35 ppt. However, if you look at a map of the world, you will see how salinity differs around the world.

And my final answer, the salt companies sell more salt if you’re making it at the higher concentrations.

Thanks for the map Paul. After looking at the map, I guess I can make my concentration higher if need be.

image.jpg

I hope I uploaded that right. Excuse the finger on the bottom haha. I got about 6 or 7 gallons. There was tons of seaweed though so I hope it's usable. It was too cold to be particular. I almost lost my phone wading in the water.

Right on!!! I grew up in Brig... When I was a kid we'd catch anything & everything and keep it in a Mickey Mouse pool in the yard. I've caught lots of non native things over the years. I've been inspired by some of the collections by groups like the Long Island Aquarium to collect Caribbean fish at the right time of the year. I've been itching to drag a net, at the right time of the year, on some grassy shallows and see what comes up.

I ended up finding a spot on the first rock pile on the inlet where I could straddle 2 rocks and fill up. Collected 10gal and have it circulating and warming. I'll keep you posted.

I tested kh is at 7... Salinity is at 1.20-1.21. Why do we keep our reefs at an elevated rate?

Awesome!
I found that the sg was around the same area you are finding it to be, I assumed it had to do with the bay and the influx of fresh water from the mainland. Paul's answer is far more likely to be correct than my assumption was :)
The pump and tubing makes it much easier, but I do remember it being hard to find one that was battery operated.
I used to go seining at the beasley's point bridge, we caught atlantic seahorses, crabs, local fish, and I once caught a tiny (less than 2 foot) sandshark from a tidepool by the point in longport. That did not go home with me :) It went back into the ocean :)

iTzJu

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Thanks for the map Paul. After looking at the map, I guess I can make my concentration higher if need be.

agreed! I use to freak out when my salinty was 2ppt over 35.. now i guess it not that big of a deal.

Those maps are great!!! Once I warmed the water from 40 to 80 it came up a little too. Thanks for the confirmation that I can still get salt:eagerness: After 2yrs of filtering water I still don't have a good set up... I'm either running hoses to the garage or unhooking the washing machine. I would mind cutting down on that.

So I bumped the salinity and did a 4gal change on a 30gal cube. This is my 2nd back up tank with only a few corals. Everything perked up after the change and looks good so far. I'm sitting on enough nsw for another... I'll see how it goes next week

Awesome!
I found that the sg was around the same area you are finding it to be, I assumed it had to do with the bay and the influx of fresh water from the mainland. Paul's answer is far more likely to be correct than my assumption was :)
The pump and tubing makes it much easier, but I do remember it being hard to find one that was battery operated.
I used to go seining at the beasley's point bridge, we caught atlantic seahorses, crabs, local fish, and I once caught a tiny (less than 2 foot) sandshark from a tidepool by the point in longport. That did not go home with me :) It went back into the ocean :)

We had a tank running last summer with beach critters... Rock crabs, hermits, baby clams, minnows and baby spot. Everything lived and we dumped it back in the ocean in the fall. I'd of let a tiny sand shark go too... Now a tiny Thresher would be cool:)

I did a a 10 ish percent change this weekend. I am seeing that my gorg seems to love the nsw! I don't have many corals but everything looks great. The water seems a little clearer too, but that may be because I cleaned the glass that day.

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
It has come to my attention that some unfriendly PM's are floating around as a result of what's going on in this thread.

To be fair to everyone, I will not single anyone out. All I will say though is that everyone has a right to their own opinion on the TOPIC being discussed. If you disagree with someone, that is fine and you can try to explain why you disagree. You may provide links and information to support your belief. But please be courteous to other members and also respect the other person and their opinion too.

That said, we don't allow any name calling and or personal attacks in this community. If I see things getting out of hand, I will delete posts and/or go so far as banning if it necessary.

Let's all just put the arguments behind us and try to keep this thread on topic from here on out.

Thanks!