• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Has Anyone considered using our Ocean"s Water???

For the same reason someone that doesn't have a degree works at Burger King and the guy with the degree works in an office. If you have a degree in marine chemistry or some other related field and have the resources of an oceanographic institute, please let us know.

I am not sure if this guy has a goldfish tank or not, but I am sure he he probably knows more about the subject then you or I.

Anyway I had an initial thought, some disagreed with me and got a little testy. I figured rather then arguing with people that are only arguing with opinions and guesses, I would step away and search out some real answers. That being said, you are all welcome! Now we all know for sure.

Welcome to NJRC Paul! Lol.

wait...

soooo you guys are saying I can only collect water from the Bohai Sea and it must be from a dragon's head near The Great Wall of China? I then must make sure that organisms within the water collected be in the same geographical region as the imitated great barrier reef in my tank and i must graduate college to get into keeping fish? what are the prerequisites? sooo confused... :apologetic:

I'm half chinese.. does that mean the artificial water i make for my tank is half correct? :miserable:

turtles?

That is half correct.:eek:

Paul B

NJRC Member
He does have a bottle in his tank, and his tank still continues to strive

He actually has 9 bottles in his tank, but what do I know. Make believe I posted pictures here of bottles.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
He actually has 9 bottles in his tank, but what do I know. Make believe I posted pictures here of bottles.

And some of them might look something like this:

Budcanandcopperband.jpg

Gobieggs014.jpg

Bottle.jpg

copyof1317.jpg

DSC01322.jpg

Paul B

NJRC Member
Yes, that would be them I don't remember when those pictures were taken, but that fireclown is now 20 and still spawning, I think it is the bottles. Dance

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Paul,
I believe I fixed it so that your account can post pictures and links now. Please give it a shot and let me know if it works or not. :cool:

Paul B

NJRC Member
Ok, are you ready? Here goes.
Doh....Photobucket is down for maintenance. Make believe there is a picture of me here with a frown on my face. I can't try the picture yet and it was going to be me standing with 2 Supermodels collecting pods on Malibu Beach.

Daniel

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Ok, are you ready? Here goes.
Doh....Photobucket is down for maintenance. Make believe there is a picture of me here with a frown on my face. I can't try the picture yet and it was going to be me standing with 2 Supermodels collecting pods on Malibu Beach.
LMAO Only you.

Dam, I actually don't have a degree and didn't even go to college, there was that Viet Nam war thing and all. But I do have almost 60 years of fish keeping experience and a 42 year old reef tank that is thriving with 20 year old spawning fish. I am not sure if the guy in the Oceanagraphic Institute has a tank or collects water for it but I assume his degree would make him know more about keeping a tank. I could be wrong though as I don't have a degree.
I certainly don't have the equipment of a research facility but I do own my own boat as well as my dive gear although i am not sure I need that to know if the oceans all have the same water. I also have two aquarium related patents and have written numerous articles on line and in aquarium magazines as well as had the opportunity to speak in front of two aquarium organizations, one in DC and one in California. But like most of us, I only know a little and there is unimaginable things I don't know.
I do have a cousin though, he is a Marine Biology Professor. For that title he had to dive once for 30 minutes in the South Pacific. He has never had a goldfish or even a picture of a goldfish and when he looks in my tank, he has no idea how to keep anything alive. But he is a professor of marine biology so now you know how much stock I put in marine biology degrees.
As for opinions and guesses, I don't guess. My "opinions" came from years of keeping and breeding salt water fish. From keeping the first fish that were imported to the US until today. That is how you learn about fish, not from having a degree. That I can guarantee you.
I am sure you have much more experience than I do so you must be very old. But then again, without that degree, I have no idea what I am talking about. :p

I am glad you like to toot your own horn Forest, but how does any of what you said pertain to ocean water chemistry?

I am glad you like to toot your own horn Forest, but how does any of what you said pertain to ocean water chemistry?

. . . or maybe you are just someone who has not bothered to read up on what Paul has actually done, and therefore you are the one who has no idea what you are talking about.

Seems roughly equivalent to the importance of testing water. But then again, what do I know. Paul and me, with our combined 80+ years of experience, must be missing something.

Just saying. But then again, I'm the one who was getting off topic before, so maybe this is just another instance of that.

. . . or maybe you are just someone who has not bothered to read up on what Paul has actually done, and therefore you are the one who has no idea what you are talking about.

Seems roughly equivalent to the importance of testing water. But then again, what do I know. Paul and me, with our combined 80+ years of experience, must be missing something.

Just saying. But then again, I'm the one who was getting off topic before, so maybe this is just another instance of that.

+1 you are really scoring points fast and furious Jason. These are really good people with mad skills. Maybe they do things a bit different then the way you do things or have researched on how to do things but their tanks and their experience speak for themselves. You should take that into account before you cast judgement.

Lol mad skills. I'm trying to make a joke about Paul's skills being happy but it simply doesn't sound good. No but seriously Jason you prob need to embrace the fact of A 42 YEAR OLD REEF TANK!!!

Daniel

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Very true about embracing the fact of a 42 year old tank. Paul knows his stuff.
By the way my reef is 22 years plus.

Paul B

NJRC Member
Hey guys, I am out of this thread as I am now going to toot my horn. Have fun, it's been real. Dance