• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Has Anyone considered using our Ocean"s Water???

horseplay

NJRC Member
too funny. jenkinsons aquarium in point pleasant beach uses NSW but tje water is filtered first.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

Using collected ocean water sounds like a great idea. I had always thought the water chemistry would be different then the tropical waters our fish and corals come from, but I guess it isn't after all. I personally don't know if it is worth all of the effort really, but then again I am only running a BioCube 14 so water is not a huge expense for me. I just purchased some premixed water to do my water change tomorrow. Now if I lived right on the water and could just pump some water up to collect it, that would be a different story.

As far as long term storage goes I would suggest using a heater to bring the water up to temperature, and then storing it in a container with a powerhead and a large amount of live rock.

Paul B

NJRC Member
I had always thought the water chemistry would be different then the tropical waters our fish

There are no walls in the ocean between your house and where your corals come from. Trust me, I have been there

There are no walls in the ocean between your house and where your corals come from. Trust me, I have been there

Really? I thought the Great Wall of China went underwater too. Thanks for setting me straight!

I know this might be a hard concept to grasp, but don't you think the bacteria and other microorganisms that live in the warm tropical waters of the Red Sea are different from the bacteria and microorganism that live in the cold waters off of NJ?

OK, let me make this even easier for you: So the air in Florida is 78 degrees today, and the air in NJ is 24 degrees today. There is no wall between us and Florida keeping the temperature warmer there and cooler here, but that doesn't mean there isn't a difference in temperature.

Oh and speaking of being there, I lived in the Caribbean up until about 5 months ago and have hundreds if not over 1000 dives under my weight belt. So trust ME as I have REALLY been there.

Really? I thought the Great Wall of China went underwater too. Thanks for setting me straight!

I know this might be a hard concept to grasp, but don't you think the bacteria and other microorganisms that live in the warm tropical waters of the Red Sea are different from the bacteria and microorganism that live in the cold waters off of NJ?

OK, let me make this even easier for you: So the air in Florida is 78 degrees today, and the air in NJ is 24 degrees today. There is no wall between us and Florida keeping the temperature warmer there and cooler here, but that doesn't mean there isn't a difference in temperature.

Oh and speaking of being there, I lived in the Caribbean up until about 5 months ago and have hundreds if not over 1000 dives under my weight belt. So trust ME as I have REALLY been there.

Your on a roll today huh. Maybe you should look through some posts and check out Paul's tank. That should set you straight. Or better yet just don't say anything unless it's constructive.

Paul B

NJRC Member

Jason, I have been collecting water in New York since the 60s and the fish and corals don't seem to know the difference. I also collect amphipods under the ice here in NY when it is 6 degrees and in those same tide pools when the water approaches 90. The water chemistry is the same as the oceans have been mixing for a few years and maybe the Great Wall of China does go under the sea as I have only been on the part of it that is in China above the water.
I have never lived in the Caribbean but like you I have spent hundreds of hours underwater there as well as the South Pacific and in New York. You have spent more time underwater than I have as I didn't live there so maybe you saw the Wall of China there, but in my post I linked the part about the water chemistry being the same, not the creatures.

I know this might be a hard concept to grasp,

A lot of things are hard for me to grasp as I am old and probably a little senile. I have had fish since the 50s and also have a reef tank since 1971, the same reef tank and I have been to quite a few places although I didn't collect bacteria and microorganisms in Tahiti, Hawaii, the Red Sea, Medeteranian or Australia. Maybe when I go again, I will. But have fun. Dance I am going to Google the part of the Great Wall of China that is underwater.

wow looks like there is a new sheriff in town.... and jasonb is gonna lay some education on us all. and paul, don't sass him, he lived in the caribbean. but jason. even if the air in florida is warmer than the air in nj, aren't the concentrations of what makes up the majority of it (nitrogen, co2, and oxygen) roughly the same around the world? take a step back jason and evaluate your approach. i applaud your enthusiasm if not your approach. try taking it down a notch pal.

Daniel

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Keep it clean. We do have kids as members. I do not want to start deleting post.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Just to clarify this discussion, the Great Wall of China does not go under the sea. It ends at the Bohai Sea, where it is known as the Old Dragon's Head. Looks like a great place to collect ocean water.....but then again, it would just be one more thing "Made in China." :grin:

old-dragons-head-Shanhaiguan-9%25255B5%25255D.jpg

don't say anything unless it's constructive.

Just because you don't have the ability to understand a concept doesn't mean it isn't constructive.

Sorry I am not part of the good ol boys club, and I know you all have "been there and done that" but if you can get over yourselves for a minute you may actually learn something.

Jason, I do understand your concept, but do not like your tone or approach. I quite enjoy the various ideas posted and discussed here.Yes I'm sure there are differences.....not unlike us using synthetic salt mix vs natural. In my observations based on coloration and growth, my tropical corals seem to do fine without natural tropical seawater. That said, I am not surprised by Paul saying his do fine with water collected from a temperate climate vs tropical.

Daniel

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I know people who have done water change once a year and they have thriving reef systems with great color. Everyone dose it different. Some with success and some not . We all are learning all the time. We should not bash anyone for how they keep there system as long as they are happy. I have seen people systems that I would be very sad if it was mine. But I just keep my options to myself. Unless they ask and I would help them. No one has a perfect system not even mother nature.