• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Has Anyone considered using our Ocean"s Water???

Like Jim said, I used to grab a couple 5g pals full when I was out maybe 10+ miles. Never saw a difference in my 30 cube, and it was just more hassle than it was worth. There is a big difference in the water after 10 miles offshore and then again after 50 miles. I would never put that filthy inshore water in my tank, but that is just me.

Like Jim said, I used to grab a couple 5g pals full when I was out maybe 10+ miles. Never saw a difference in my 30 cube, and it was just more hassle than it was worth. There is a big difference in the water after 10 miles offshore and then again after 50 miles. I would never put that filthy inshore water in my tank, but that is just me.
I'm going to agree has anyone ever seen what washes up on shore diapers needles etc.etc.etc.etc
They just closed ocean city I think for dirty water I trust a bucket of salt, IMO but if it works for you guys great

Lol, I hibernate once it gets below 30.....

My dad used to be the head of the health dept and my first job was an environmental investigator. I did ocean sampling and testing...
Friday, I brought some water from my ocean collection and had them test it. Ill get the results on Tuesday and post them. It'll be interesting

Twisteds 40 breeder

Did another water change again. No changes in the tank everything still looking good. I'm seeing some coral growth on all my corals.

Twisted dud you get the results of the water yet ?

Did another water change again. No changes in the tank everything still looking good. I'm seeing some coral growth on all my corals.

Twisted dud you get the results of the water yet ?

Sorry, I did but have been crazy busy wrapping up my work season. 1 more week of work and I get to hibernate for the winter :)
Results showed good ole saltwater. After talking to one of the lab guys and a friend from the wetlands institute, I feel very comfortable with collecting from the ocean. It's not recommended to use back bay but that's pretty much common sense. My water in containers is still fine testing wise and my corals are healthy and thriving. I guess there is a chance of collecting bad water but there is also a chance of buying a bag of bad salt. From a few respected opinions, those chances are about equal , which is very unlikely.

Twisteds 40 breeder

Daniel

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I wish I lived closer to the ocean I would give it a try. I could save a lot of money over a year in salt.

Sorry, I did but have been crazy busy wrapping up my work season. 1 more week of work and I get to hibernate for the winter :)
Results showed good ole saltwater. After talking to one of the lab guys and a friend from the wetlands institute, I feel very comfortable with collecting from the ocean. It's not recommended to use back bay but that's pretty much common sense. My water in containers is still fine testing wise and my corals are healthy and thriving. I guess there is a chance of collecting bad water but there is also a chance of buying a bag of bad salt. From a few respected opinions, those chances are about equal , which is very unlikely.

Twisteds 40 breeder

Thanx Twisted. Glad to hear that our ocean water is good to use in our systems. I will continue to use it as long as I can during the winter.

I wish I lived closer to the ocean I would give it a try. I could save a lot of money over a year in salt.

15 gallons of Reef Crystals is $3.85. You'd have to live literally right next to the water (in which case, I hate you, *I*
want a beach house!) or take 50-100 gallons at a time just to break even on gas. If I had a beach house, I'd have a permanent pipe out in the sea. It'd be awesome.

15 gallons of Reef Crystals is $3.85. You'd have to live literally right next to the water (in which case, I hate you, *I*
want a beach house!) or take 50-100 gallons at a time just to break even on gas. If I had a beach house, I'd have a permanent pipe out in the sea. It'd be awesome.

I'm about 1 1/2 miles so its pretty convienient. Even nicer still, my boss uses it to so I can do it during work hours and my work van as long as I get him some too....lol I come out ahead on that one

Twisteds 40 breeder

Okay since we just had this storm I will not be using NSW for a little bit. Have to resort back to using artificial salt. Until I'm able to collect NSW again.

Paul B

NJRC Member
You should be asking if anyone wants to use ASW or fake water. Virtually all of our animals came from real water. And you don't have to go out 30 miles or even 30'. I started my reef with NSW 42 years ago right near Manhattan and I still collect it every year.

The water 3' out was 30 miles out yesterday. Of course we don't want to collect near a river, toxic waste dump, Twinkie factory, anthrax storage tanks, or anything like that, but just about any ocean beach is fine.
The water rises and ebbs off the sand every six hours so the sane stays very clean. OK there may be hypodermic needles, carburetors from Oldsmobiles, Dog poop, the lower hose from a Westinghouse washing machine or a reject artificial heart valve but if you see those things, don't put them in your bucket.
I just collect water, warm it up and dump it in my reef. Sometimes if the water looks louse, I may offer up some tea leaves to the moon but that's about it.
If there is a red tide in the water I treat it with regular Clorox. Not only does it work, but it gives your fish a nice fresh aroma.