• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Has Anyone considered using our Ocean"s Water???

If you run the water through the UV at a high flow rate you will kill off less of the beneficial but you have to remember you cant always assure the water is 100 percent clean.

Better safe then sorry.

The farther you go out into the ocean the more diluted the water is because its farther away from the shore.

If you run the water through the UV at a high flow rate you will kill off less of the beneficial but you have to remember you cant always assure the water is 100 percent clean.

Better safe then sorry.

The farther you go out into the ocean the more diluted the water is because its farther away from the shore.

Okay so if I run it thru the UV fast it will kill of some of the pathogens and bateria.
Yeah I know the water isn't 100% prestige. Believe I'm taking everyone advice into consideration on this. If I had a boat I would definitely be going further out.
Thanx for advice on the UV.

Petco has an exclusive contract with a company that specializes in collecting NSW and filtering it. Carib Sea also does the same thing.

This water in my eyes in superior to mixes i have used.

I have some really expensive clownfish that i keep in this water and have never had problems. If i could collect from our ocean i would reccomend running it with carbon and UV before using it in the tank.

The only thing that is bad is that if you have anything over 80 gallons water changes from petco or carib sea water are expensive!

I work at petco and have used this water for my changes for over 2 years..without sounding like a selfcentered ***, I have to say my tank is pretty nice too. Petcos water is an awesome value at 5 gallons for $12 compared to other companies which charge $15 for 3 gallons. All in all I recommend it. Plus my discount does help lol

Sent from my SGH-T769

Just did another water change with NSW last night. All the parameters were the same as last time water collection.
I checked the tank out this morning and noticed that the pylops on all my corals were all extended. So I'm assuming that their filtering something in the water colum.

I've been using nsw since I live in capemay and collect at the top of the incoming tide. I let the water sit in the dark overnight and siphon all but the last few inches then aerate and add a little salt to bring it up to .026. That helps bring up the ca to meet my params. Never had an issue. I think since I've been doing it my corals are much happier

Twisteds 40 breeder

Twisted so have notice better growth and coloration since u started using NSW?

I see a noticeable difference. There is definitely a food source to it. Since doing nsw, I rarely even feed any of my corals other than my suns and dendro. My params are great and stable

Twisteds 40 breeder

wow cool idea,would it be okay to get some water here by me by seawaren,perth amboy area or no you should go further south seaside etc thanks 18fisher

Cool Twisted that what I wanted hear.
I'm not sure how long it keeps but I'm hoping to store enough for the winter. I guess as long as its circulating it'll last a long time. It'll be interesting to see what grows on the walls of the container throughout storage since I've never kept more than 10 gal.

Twisteds 40 breeder

wow cool idea,would it be okay to get some water here by me by seawaren,perth amboy area or no you should go further south seaside etc thanks 18fisher

I'm no expert in this. Since this is also new to me. But i collect my water at incoming tide and off the jetties . I think as long as you get it at the incoming tide were there's aleast a little turbulence were you collect it should be good. That's my opinion.

I'm not sure how long it keeps but I'm hoping to store enough for the winter. I guess as long as its circulating it'll last a long time. It'll be interesting to see what grows on the walls of the container throughout storage since I've never kept more than 10 gal.

Twisteds 40 breeder

Buy storaging the water for days do you think the water will go bad, With all the die off in the water colum? Or do you think it would add some more benifits to that water?

Buy storaging the water for days do you think the water will go bad, With all the die off in the water colum? Or do you think it would add some more benifits to that water?

Not sure. I'm sure there will be die off but I syphon all but the last few inches after it sits overnight and then run a phead in it till I use it. I collected 100 gal this weekend for the winter and have it in two 55 gal brutes with pumps and covered. Ill test it next week for phos and trates and post results. Ill test it weekly to monitor any changes.

Twisteds 40 breeder

Here's the tests after syphoning all but the bottom and adjusting the salt to .026
And bumping up the calcium to 500 which is what I maintain in my tank. Ill test iodine and potassion in a few days
Cal 500
Ph 8.3
Alk 11
Mag 1300
Trates undetectable
Phos undetectable
Temp is 70 and I bring it up a few degrees a day.
Water is clear doing the 5 gal white bucket test.
I'm running a maxjet in each with lids on

Twisteds 40 breeder

Twisteds 40 breeder

Any reason you wont collect water during the winter? Is the water chemestry different when the water is close to freezing?

fatoldsun

NJRC Member
Any reason you wont collect water during the winter? Is the water chemestry different when the water is close to freezing?
my guess is it's more about the collection process. I'm not sure I'd want to be out on a rock jetty in Dec-Feb. The wind is whipping and the HA on the jetty rocks can get REAL slippery. Same probably goes for off-shore collection. I'd want a pretty big boat to go even 10 miles off shore in the dead of winter. 30 miles as Jim suggests - just like in Jaws - "gonna need a bigger boat"