• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Hawkeye's AGA 120

My first tale! yay.

Skip this thread if you are expecting colorful pics. This is pure planning phase right now...

To begin - first I decided to find the inner book-worm-geek in me and I sat down and started reading.

Great discussion with the usual calfo humor on inverts:
Reef Invertebrates: An Essential Guide to Selection, Care and Compatibility by Anthony Calfo and Robert Fenner

Everyone's must have in a tank - clownfishes. Awesome details on breeding and raising.
Clownfishes by Joyce D. Wilkerson

Beginner Setup Book - for those of us who want some lighter reading:
The New Marine Aquarium by Michael S. Paletta

Then the other extreme - some really indepth info- great when I got it in 95, now a little dated:
The Reef Aquarium: A Comprehensive Guide to the Identification and Care of Tropical Marine Invertebrates (Volume 1) by Julian Sprung

Corals.
Aquarium Corals by Eric Borneman

I hope to have clams - and this author is great in dispelling some common myths.
Giant Clams in the Sea and the Aquarium by James Fatherree

Great book on fish.
The Conscientious Marine Aquarist by Robert M. Fenner (2nd Edition)

Re: AGA 120 (very few pictures and lots of dull writing)

Then after reading those books - it's always better to see in the "real world" what people are doing. With that - I found these other 120 threads to be great reads:

Bax’s 120 – superb set up in an office.
http://www.njreefers.org/joomla/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=26&topic=2695.0

James’ Oceanic Tech 120 - (it's a tech tank- need i say more?)
http://www.njreefers.org/joomla/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=26&topic=11371.0

NewSalt (Mike)’s Perfecto120 – amazing hand-crafted frame/stand – awesome tank. I was lucky enough to see it in person during one of our meetings.
http://www.njreefers.org/joomla/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=26&topic=11977.0

MikeNapoli’s AGA 120 (the website is so neat)
http://www.njreefers.org/joomla/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=26&topic=5531.0

Obviously there are plenty of other big tanks and nano tanks to glean knowledge and inspiration. But in terms of 120s - I found the above to be rather helpful.

Anyways - this is a standard AGA 120 tank. Dimensions are 48 by 24 by 24.

Tank was bought last October. It's seen water once (leak test). Before I could proceed though there were some unexpected financial bumps in the road that basically forced me to put off starting the tank.

Even now with the way the economy is (and my company just today laying off a wave of folks) - it's a little bit unnerving. If I had to sell this off - it'd be a lot easier if everything never touched water.

Anyways - tank will be on an AGA black pine stand (also courtesy of AqOb). It's been a looong time since I plumbed a tank. Frankly it's daunting and I don't know how all of you have done it without asking a million and one questions. I picked up what I hope to be all the pieces necessary from Savko Plumbing.

I will snap some pics and post shortly. Otherwise some folks here my revoke my membership for lack of pics. ;D

oh ps if anyone has input on other great books to read - let me know. I'm always open to reading more.

Well at what ever pace you need to move, I am along for the ride!

The 120 is a great size for a reef at a "reasonable" cost IMO

I am rather embarrassed to be included with those other tanks because I am not even close to being in their class. I can only hope that I end up doing so well. But thank you for including me, glad I did some things right. I am looking forward to your tale too, I am sure I can learn some things along the way too.

@bax -

Thanks! Appreciated the visit. In terms of cost (cough cough) - yeah - that's something I need to work on with the wife. ;)

@jr -
probably the only thing you could learn from me is not to make my mistakes! lol.

I'm stoked to see Phil getting his tank set up soon.

I never met you, but you seem like a great guy and I hope all goes well.

Can't wait to see it fully running.

Good books to read (outside of what you have listed):

Baensch Marine Atlas (Volumes 1, 2 &3) by Helmut Debelius

The Book of Coral Propagation by Anthony Calfo

The Reef Aquarium (Volumes 1, 2 &3) by Julian Sprung

Reef Invertebrates by Anthony Calfo and Bob Fenner

Any of the fish specific books by Kuiter (Wrasses, Surgeonfishes, etc. -- all are TREMENDOUS reads)

Reef Fishes (Volumes 1, 2 &3) by Scott W Michael

Thanks Phil. Can't wait to see you get up and running with tons of pictures.

jonathan. said:
Baensch Marine Atlas (Volumes 1, 2 &3) by Helmut Debelius
Any of the fish specific books by Kuiter (Wrasses, Surgeonfishes, etc. -- all are TREMENDOUS reads)
Reef Fishes (Volumes 1, 2 &3) by Scott W Michael

Thanks Jonathan! It's hard to plunk down $$$ on books when you want to save it for the equipment itself. So it's good to know what other books are out there that may help. I actually have the others I didn't quote...forgot to list em!

@miken-
me too! I'm sure my kids must think i'm crazy for staring at an empty tank...hahah.

I'm SO excited for you, Phil. ;D I'll be along for the ride as well - no matter how long it takes. When you mentioned the plumbing part I immediately had indigestion. :-X

Didn't you mention pictures? (hint, hint, hint)

jonathan. said:
Good books to read (outside of what you have listed):
The Book of Coral Propagation by Anthony Calfo

The Reef Aquarium (Volumes 1, 2 &3) by Julian Sprung

Reef Invertebrates by Anthony Calfo and Bob Fenner

I wore the pages out on these books, great basic information.

We came back on saturday from Six Flags and it was just a loong day...still felt tired from all the walking. Question for the folks who go a lot - is it better to travel via the GSP or the Turnpike if you are up by exit 11 on the njturnpike? At that juncture you can go either way. I was thinking maybe I should have gone down via the gsp and back up via the turnpike. The merge at 8A going southbound is always a pain.

Anyways - back on target... ok so a pic - but not what you think. I need help with plumbing...

I picked up some flex pvc and was wondering if I should have each overflow go direct into the sump or join them with a T (as shown below). Do I need unions before the T as depicted?

Drawing1.jpg

Phil, we didn't connect the overflows at all. Each of them individually goes straight into the sump (filter sock). Wouldn't you somehow restrict the flow if you were to connect them?

Do not connect them
If one should clog you still have another to move water

Jason

JasonR said:
Do not connect them
If one should clog you still have another to move water

Jason

Yup!

Leave'em seperate and run them into a filter sock or pad

I am convinced it is worth the effort to regularly clean the socks/pads which ever one can go with. It's OK, the pods will survive!

I can't figure out loclines!

I picked up some locline parts from AqOB for the return plumbing, but I must be totally in need of remedial training because I have no idea how these things stick together. I don't use pvc glue right?

Someone help me out here... ???

LMAO...ok. My 2 yr old is quite good hammering...i'm sure you would know! ;)

along for the ride even if it is slow. Remember that the tortoise wins the race in the end.