• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Hidden Reef

Went there on Saturday and they were infested with flat worms.

Everytime i go to this place its something.

Anyone else see this.

I never saw the flatworms there before. I was planning on heading there this eve to pick up a pump. Plus, I think they get a shipment in today.

I don't think flatworms are a problem. You just have to quarantine the corals with flatworm exit. Now Red bugs on the other hand can be. But there is also a cure for that too.

ReeferNets said:
i saw them all in their corals tanks. Little brown flat worms all over the glass.

Must be a recent thing. I was planning on picking up a frag of something but you put a kabosh on that one. LOL Is there a good dip that could be used instead of QT and treating?

magic said:
James

You can use Revive or Coral RX for a dip.

Bob

Thanks. After posting on here, I saw a product called Flatworm Exit. Any experience? I also saw that quick FW dips do the trick as well but i'm sure that stresses the corals out, no?

ricwilli said:
I don't think flatworms are a problem. You just have to quarantine the corals with flatworm exit. Now Red bugs on the other hand can be. But there is also a cure for that too.

Red bugs might be worse but flatworms are definitely a problem that you do not want to deal with if you do not have to . I would not want a flatworm infected coral for free let alone paying for it from a store ! Unacceptable !

Tazmaniancowboy

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Had flatworms in plague proportions a few years ago. they were everywhere. No problem at all. 2 yellow coris wrasses and away they went. Didn't see any 2 years later after I broke the tank down

What is the problem with them other than making the tank look ugly when there is too many?

rodclement

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I'm with quik on this one, I want clean, pest free corals in my tanks. My concern is that a place of that caliber should know better than to have tanks infested with flatworms, if that, a problem that is so visible is indedd everywhere, what about what we can't see? Just doesn't confidence, is all.

Rod

magic

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
SirFragalot said:
magic said:
James

You can use Revive or Coral RX for a dip.

Bob

Thanks. After posting on here, I saw a product called Flatworm Exit. Any experience? I also saw that quick FW dips do the trick as well but i'm sure that stresses the corals out, no?
James

I've used Flatworm Exit it works but you have to be careful and follow the instructions, try and siphon out as many as you can before you treat. Have plenty of carbon ready. As soon as you dose they will start to die by the hundreds see if you can siphon them out. Add a lot of carbon (amount on box). You may have to treat twice to get all the the second gen worms.

Bob

SirFragalot said:
No more than 10-15 seconds right?

Yes. Just swished for about 10 seconds and they dropped off instantly.

Frogspawn put back in tank, and looked great.

If you are going to use flatworm exit, I still think a FW dip or removal outside the DT is a good first step so you do not have massive flatworm deaths all at once in the DT.

havent noticed them there but have seen Ich every once and awhile. they have a pretty big turnover on stock and i've never seen it hang around long.

Tazmaniancowboy

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I think I need to clarify my post a little. I also agree that a place like that should have clean corals. Things do happen though. I 'd like coral/fish to be safe, but the reality is that their tanks are no different than ours these things happen to them too. In this case, I don't know if they have been battling the flatworms or how long they were, but I'd expect them to.

My question still is How bad are they for our tank. My understanding was that they are only an ugly nuisance when they get to plague proportions. The real danger is the die off when you kill them. This is the reason I went with the Coris wrasse route. Do thy actually do any damage?

So I guess a purchase would be something like this

" I'll have that sps over there ,two yellow coris wrasses and a box of flatworm exit "

Thank you but no thanks, I will give my business to stores that care/try to give their customers no-pest products !If a customer can spot them then you know the store is aware. Why would you buy knowing that you will have to treat and correct the problem. That should be done by the store.

qwik said:
Why would you buy knowing that you will have to treat and correct the problem. That should be done by the store.

Because its an easy fix and we should be quarenting our purchases regardless if we see flatworms or not. Trust me, there are bigger problems to worry about than flatworm. Yes, it would be nice for the lfs to address the problem, but maybe this one slipped or they didn't noticed it. I have not been to this store yet, but that will not stop me.
I'm also hoping that the person who noticed the problem, may them aware of it. I have done it to a reputable lfs and they took care of the situation in front of me.

Taz, the other problem with flatworm is that if they get out of control, they can prevent the corals from getting antiquate lighting. But the corals really needs to be infested.