• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Hidden Reef

Ric,
I told the guy who helped me grab some tubing and the man at the front desk. Both said ok and that was it.

I wouldnt buy any live stock from a place that openly has at least 100 flat worms crawling on the glass of a tank.

I was intending on buying some macros for my tank but was it worth it? NOOOOOOO

Edwardw771

NJRC Member
Anything we buy from anywhere should be treated as if its infected because often times you can't see eggs that are on tagging along with our corals.

We will be reaching out to Ziggy about the club trying to help resolve this.

i thought* the live rock system was seperate from the fish ? probably a good chance to find some extras ( no fault of THR) on the rock as it goes right in the tubs not sit around in the boxes.

This will be my last post on this subject .
Do a search on google images or reef central and you will see why they are a "deal",maybe not a big one but one I would not knowingly let enter my system . Yes maybe they are not as bad as red bugs, but they are still bad and bad doesnt enter my system if I can help it .I cant see a sane person knowingly buying something that they know is going to need to be fixed .
I might be wrong but I do not believe a dip kills the eggs . I also believe that besides being unsightly they can keep sps from having full polyp extension . Something that we strive for and lets the coral get adequate nutrition .
And hearing that "there were a hundred of them crawling on the glass gives you a hint of the husbandry practices of the store .
To each his own ! I will continue to try and buy healthy,non infected corals from stores that care enough about there customers to not want to pass on "problems . When I spend my money I try to get the best item I can for it,not one that has a problem ,any kind big or small, that is obvious and I will have to fix . Call me crazy ,it wont be the first time . ;D

Well...I payed a visit last night to pick up a pump and some odds & ends. Of course, the subject of flatworms was on my mind and I wandered into the livestock section. They still had a good deal of stock since they just got a shipment in. I get to the row right before the corals and peek intot he snail tanks and there they were.....flatworms. I was fascinated due to never seeing one in person. I turn the corner to the corals and I agree that they were everywhere. More in some tanks than others. I also saw tiny specks so I put my face up to the glas about 2" away and saw that they were tiny baby flatworms. Right after focussing on one, this little kid decides it would be funny to scare the crap out of me so he stomps his foot, yells and claps at the same time. :eek: :eek: I was not happy and just the look I gave him was enough to get him out of my isle. Anyways, I find one of the young people that work there and ask him if he was aware of the problem. His reply was yes. I then asked him what they are doing to correct the problem and he paused for about 10 seconds and belts out, "water changes, water changes and more water changes". ::) You guys scared me with how bad these things can get so I walked out with no livestock. I suppose I should thank you since I would have spent $$$ on an elegance and a couple others.

ReeferNets said:
I wasnt bullspitting anyone on this.

I only call out people or stores for real stuff.

It wasnt easy for me to walk out of there empty handed. I was even going to grab a candy cane frag out of the $4.99 tank. Gotta say that i'm proud of myself. ;D At least I got the pump to get my sump going last night.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I see posts for quarantine and dips. Question I have what if you don't have room for a quarantine tank? I can't even fit a 10g anywhere right now. What do you dip the corals in? Especially if you can't see anything and want to be cautious. Would a FW dip be the route? I assume FW would have to be RO/DI for 15 seconds max?

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
For flatworms, there is flatworm exit which you can nuke your tank with if you have them. Fresh water dips can stun them, then hit them with a powerhead/turkey baster just be carefull. Revive also does a pretty good job with knocking them off. Flatworms are not very strong and can be blown off corals with a turkey baster. Some people have gotten rid of them by using that method. Also, wrasses will eat them which is a natural way of getting rid of them. Some people trained their fish to eat them by blowing the flatworms off the corals and then feeding at the same time. The fish associate the FW with food and start eating them.

I think it is worth mentioning that fresh water dips are only suitable for some corals, so I would not suggest this practice be done for all of your new corals.

That said, a FW dip can be very effective in removing flatworms from corals that can tolerate the dip.

Edwardw771

NJRC Member
I went in there today and didn't see any flat worms. I spoke to the manager on duty. And he mentioned that they had a bad shipment come in with them on it. They have worked to get them out of the system.

This could happen to any of us we all need to treat every coral like its infected because it probably is.

MadReefer said:
I see posts for quarantine and dips. Question I have what if you don't have room for a quarantine tank? I can't even fit a 10g anywhere right now. What do you dip the corals in? Especially if you can't see anything and want to be cautious. Would a FW dip be the route? I assume FW would have to be RO/DI for 15 seconds max?

as mentioned before, it's always an excellent practice when you treat your corals before placing them in your main tank. Parasitic organisms are a norm in the wild, but there are tons of natural predators out there in the reef. From wrasses to specialized feeders to even juvenile versions of adult fish in one way shape or form feed on these organisms we call parasites. The reason why some of these become a nuisance is because they proliferate in our enclosed systems without a predator to watch their numbers.

A good practice is to always treat. In the past, I "had" the pleasure of adding a few SPS from a very close friend who guaranteed me that his corals were healthy; and they were. They were gorgeous in his display, no signs of illness, no signs of parasites. Lo and behold, 3 months later, I had a ton of the red flatworms crawling everywhere; and he was the only person I received corals from in 6 months. While they were bearable to see, it was certainly distracting. I nuked the tank. Twice @ 4x recommended dosage. Eventually, I got rid of the flatworms, but he never had the need to treat his tank (after I told him), nor did I ever see a proliferation of the parasites in his display afterwards. The answer- husbandry skills and the type of fish he kept.

Bottom line is, don't let parasites scare you completely. They are treatable to a certain extent, even good husbandry skills will test you from time to time. (I had a massive hair algae outbreak once, and for the life of me I couldn't figure out why) Certain parasites are definitely worse than others, the AEFW for once are a bane to an SPS keeper's experience, but perseverance eventually pays off dividends.

We definitely don't want to get to these points, so please, I urge everyone out there acquiring, trading, buying or receiving corals and rocks, fish and even chaeto/algae; always treat or quarantine when possible.

Guys i understand that we need to QT.

The husbandry skills that we use in qt may not be practical for a large store but for someone whose not a regular everday reefer he may not know that flatworms are bad.

You can always blame the user. In this case i think its in bad taste to sell coral from a tank that you know is infested with flat worms. There is still the possiblity after a dip that eggs could survive.

Its on the admin/store owner to address the issue. Would you adopt a dog that you know has flees, worms, parasites or would you ask the store owner to bring the dog up to health. When i go into a store i hope that what i am buying is somewhat healthy.

Im glad they addressed the issue but what about all the new reefers and casual ones that went in and bought something and didnt know.

There are store in NJ that constantly and repeatedly have had issues like this and we continue to blame the reefer. They should QT or treat the corals/ tanks and not sell anything.

Thats why people leave our hobby because they get hosed at stores most of the time,.

Sorry im chiming in on this so late but Flat worms? Seriously it is a PEST and if you see them in a retailer STAY AWAY. Since reading this thread I am never going to shop at this place. You go to a dealer for knowledge and quality live stock right? You pay more than normal for this experience. So WHY ARE THEIR PESTS IN THEIR TANKS. Anyway thanks for this heads up.

I have personally never been there. Is this something that the vendor is not addressing? Seems to me things like that can happen to anyone.

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Keep in mind that this thread was started over a year ago also. The flat worm issue was surely taken care of or else they wouldn't still be in business.

PS, what's with the post above me?