• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

HOB Algae scrubber

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
So, in post DIY Easy cheap algae scrubber I described how to use simple plastic screens in an established sump/fuge or filter to get fantastic results. Still working unbelievably well and my initial $5 investment in this most excellent scrubber will last for the year.

But, I now have a SPS specific tank and I don't want to drop $150 on an upflow scrubber. I've made one in the past that worked well... Nano upflow scrubber ($10 - $40) but, knowing what I know now it was way too complex for such a simple thing.

SO! I'm going to build one, with bought parts, which will look pro once modified with flames and fuzzy dice, will require a single plug, and will kick ass. All for under $25.

Ordered these tonight as a start...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072BZX6LS/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=APXBZ5S10CKBO&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N5I56Z3/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ANAH3A6D57PC9&psc=1

Last edited:

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Zombie thread.
Never moved further forward with this as simply hanging a scratched up screen anywhere under light seemed to work well enough.
I actually still have the filter, if you’d like it to give an experimental build a go its yours.

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
e4e47afe199e09fabb8e607e8a6ef25ccd5d20d7a35a141cb84c319ba48d34d9.jpg

Last edited:

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
OK. I'll build it once the monster tank is done. Gonna LED this ^&^$%&^#^%$& up and paint pinstripes on it.
And those LEDS were. as expected, garbage.
I now have much more powerful LEDs on hand. Like the kind that is really bright if you look at it and if your friend says 'close your eyes' and you do and he moves the LEDs like really really close to your eyes and you open them you would go 'dude get those away from my eye cuz theyre really bright and they might blind me' type LEDs and they rock and theyre really bright except for one which burnt out.

I'll revive this thread as a zombie's zombie when the time comes.