• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Horseplay's 105g Rimless

ecam

President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
grab some T5 retrofit kits and make a canopy for your Vegas!

That is one stubborn dude... he has t5 retros and bulbs sitting in his garage.... And wont pull the trigger... LOL

ecam

President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Joe... the tank looks awesome man... Keep up the good work man

grink

NJRC Member
Put in a few pieces to test the water. Corals look like a million bucks after only 2 hours. Phone picture does not do justice. Very impressed with the light fixture. Color is just incredible only running 20% LED coral plus + 4 T5 bulbs.

The rock has been in the sump for a long time now the Zoas coming back from the dead. SPS is the purple nana piece I am selling :)

Still a few days to go then I will move corals in en masse.

IMG_0069.JPG
Let me know when your ready for the frags I promised you.

Tommyboynj

Administrator
Officer Emeritus
Looks great joe. Having seen these ati combo fixtures over mikes tank and also the LEDs. I have to say I'm strongly considering diying a canopy with 4 t5 tubes and dialing my 2 hydras back. People seem to be getting the best of both worlds.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just saw joes tank in the flesh. The corals look great and pe looks fantastic. The combo looks great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

horseplay

NJRC Member
Looks great joe. Having seen these ati combo fixtures over mikes tank and also the LEDs. I have to say I'm strongly considering diying a canopy with 4 t5 tubes and dialing my 2 hydras back. People seem to be getting the best of both worlds.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think that's the way to go. With the T5's off my fixture is like 3 Hydras. The shimmering just too much.

horseplay

NJRC Member
Started plumbing first thing in the morning yesterday and it moved a lot quicker than expected. Finished in a few hours.

Old sump was converted by removing a baffle to increase the return section.

The refugium is plumbed to the return of the sump. Should I use the water from the drain of the display? Maybe use the flow from the emergency drain? Should be an easy change with the flex PVC.

The refugium/frag tank/carbon/gfo reactors are plumbed to a separate 1000gph pump.

Love the Diablo DC10500 pump. Don't even use the maximum setting. Using 56W currently I estimate about 400gph with 9' head. Will buy another one for backup.

IMG_0078.JPG

horseplay

NJRC Member
Standing in the fishroom last night admiring my messy creation and it suddenly came to me that the refugium pump was not running. Took the pump out. The wire where it went into the pump almost broke clean off. Weird. It's an old pump and I never noticed. Smells like plastic. I guess it easily could be a major disaster. Luckily got another pump was able to find enough PVC parts to connect. Talk about importance of having backups. Top priority now is to get a backup pump for the main pump.

Started running carbon. Was removing some polyps from rocks. Figure these polyps must be releasing some toxins getting plucked off rocks.

horseplay

NJRC Member
After losing color for a few days I dialed down the T5 to 60% now I am slowly getting some color back. Growth has resumed especially the purple nana. Will do aquascaping this weekend. Right now everything just laying on the bottom.

Night shot:
IMG_0092.JPG

DIY sump cover + drip tube holder.
IMG_0097.JPG

horseplay

NJRC Member
Tank has been running for a while. Doing well but not great. SPS are kind of brown/purple. I initially have some minor PO4 problem, which was as high as 0.20 ppm. Turned on GFO and this morning it was 0.00. It must have been at this level for a while. I do not have a good NO3 test kit but using my ATI kit I can say it's between 10ppm and 20ppm. Cheato must have a hard time with no PO4. GFO is turned off now we'll see what happens. In my old tank both NO3 and PO4 were at very low levels with only Cheato as export.

Coraline is growing like mad now so pretty happy about that.

IMG_0201.JPG

IMG_0119.JPG