• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Horseplay's 105g Rimless

horseplay

NJRC Member
I like it. I use the pulse mode, which runs the pump 10 seconds (adjustable) then stop it for 10 seconds. This gives the corals a strong wave then give it time to rest. The problem is I can only run 60%. The rimless-ness of the tank makes splashing too easy.

horseplay

NJRC Member
Finally, after thinking about a long time, I decided to completely redo the scape. One problem is the nagging bubble algae problem. The rocks are too porous once infected it's hard to get rid of. There is a poly infestation here and there and other unwanted stuff. Also I like to have more space to mount corals and more space for the fish to swim and hide. It's not a big tank so need to optimized the space.

Very easy powerhead placement compare to the two pile setup since the upper half is wide open.

Basically the new scape is a flat platform. The fish can hide underneath and above it's wide open. I ordered the tonga branches from BRS and some pieces are broken. These are piece back together like a puzzle.

Corals are not yet mounted and are in the frag tank.

The front look:

fO1rBt8LU5wzKfsfP6kWREU6GT2NCeHP0F3AHBc73cA=w1097-h823-no

From the top:
Z6uimkmSMPXJX3ZRDDviAonKW4iMVJZGLS_7r0lku_w=w1097-h823-no

The three best buddies. After some WTF moments seem to be happy with the new rocks.

wWtNbaZcnJq3cCRy2pKZ1IQJj9PgKl51Qmw821SF1oQ=w1097-h823-no

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
Looking good joe! Can't wait to see it with all the corals

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DEL

Vice President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I miss my regal!! Damn. I miss having a big tank now.

horseplay

NJRC Member
Thanks guys. Most of the frags are mounted. Some minor adjustment and trim the big austera colony then it's just the waiting game. Have a few spots left but one thing I wanted to do is to give the corals enough room to grow.

Fish seem to like the open swimming room. The regal has been doing the big loop around the tank whole day except during feeding time. It must use the coral at the front right corner as a marker.

[video=youtube;atDE4O5Hp9E]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atDE4O5Hp9E[/video]

horseplay

NJRC Member
Almost 4 months after the rockwork change. It certainly has proved to be a challenge. Went thru a lot of algae problems. But learned a lot too. I now run BP + Chaeto/Caulerpa + GFO. BP is less than half of the recommended dosage. Just a little GFO to remove the extra PO4. Really like the emerald crabs and scopas tang for algea control. I found stocking is very important for maintaining a balance tank.

Here are two iPhone shots. Color is totally off though.

IMG_1588.JPG

IMG_1587.JPG

Last edited:

horseplay

NJRC Member
So I finally gave in and did a ChemiClean treatment to the tank. I have done this 3 times in two years, usually after a tank move or rescaping etc. Since the latest rescaping 4 months ago the tank has gone thru turf algae, hair algae and finally Cyano. The cyano might be brought on by the introduction of BP although I am not very convinced of that. Once cyano reaches a critical mass I have never been able to control it by husbandry alone. A lot of people will say find the source of the problem but I already have quite low nutrient level. The cyano simple out compete everything.

I used the standard dosage, which is one spoon for 10g. After 12 hours most of the cyano were died but still clinging to the rock but after 36 hours everything's gone. As before I did not experience any problem with tank inhabitant. I did a 20% water change after 48 hours and running carbon to remove the remaining chemical. The corals are happy and I now have a super clean tank. ;)

horseplay

NJRC Member
Took a video after I just released the two convicts into the tank. Took me 5 days to catch the scopas tang. It's a small fish but still fairly aggressive. The convicts on the other hand are completely docile. Just eat and eat like in the wild.

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Looking good, will be very nice when the corals start filling in even more, looks like you've got some nice growth already, like those tangs, i was debating on getting one myself.

horseplay

NJRC Member
art - these are indeed great fish and the two like to hang out together. the only downside is you must feed them a ton of nori otherwise they perish. as you can see they're quite skinny now.