• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

iTzJu's Rimless 34 Gallon Frag Tank Build

iTzJu

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Going to be a sweet frag system!! Great planning. No skimmer though?

You’re the first proud owner of that piece!! And you didn’t see the sweet freebie yet either:eek: one of my personal favorites as a classic species acro.

awesome, I'm excited. really interesting to see how it grows out for me and compare to your mother colony. haha and a freebie?! I'm curious, can't wait to get that pack in. seriously, you guys are great!

oh and I'll be using a Reef Ocotpus 110SSS or Eshopps S120 skimmer. not sure yet on which one, but leaning towards the Eshopps, fits the build better, I think.

Last edited:
awesome, I'm excited. really interesting to see how it grows out for me and compare to your mother colony. haha and a freebie?! I'm curious, can't wait to get that pack in. seriously, you guys are great!

oh and I'll be using a Reef Ocotpus 110SSS or Eshopps S100 skimmer. not sure yet on which one, but leaning towards the Eshopps, fits the build better, I think.
Going to be growing sticks like a mad man!!!

How do you run your reactor, media, re-mag, etc?

iTzJu

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Going to be growing sticks like a mad man!!!

How do you run your reactor, media, re-mag, etc?

That's the plan!

I will use ReBorn with NeoMag, might try ReMag this time around though. I also plan on dosing Red Sea Trace Elements but that would be dictated by the ATI/Triton tests that come back. I was thinking about using a Masterflex pump for the reactor but decided to keep it simple, I'll monitor it and adjust by pH for the effluent for now. When the sticks start growing more and the tank needs to be more precise, i'll hook up my back up Masterflex pump on this.

That's the plan!

I will use ReBorn with NeoMag, might try ReMag this time around though. I also plan on dosing Red Sea Trace Elements but that would be dictated by the ATI/Triton tests that come back. I was thinking about using a Masterflex pump for the reactor but decided to keep it simple, I'll monitor it and adjust by pH for the effluent for now. When the sticks start growing more and the tank needs to be more precise, i'll hook up my back up Masterflex pump on this.
Nice. I use remag and reborn. Love it. Had neomag once and it had all kinds of weird rocks. One day I will disolve them in acid and run a triton to see what they were. I'm PARANOID about my reactor media.

I do a old school new school mix. pH controller with Tunze feed pump, and run drip by a valve. I measure effluent alk, and base it off what part one is as a ratio, measure drip volume over 5-10 minute, and then calculate drip rate per day like a doser. To start. Then i eyeball it lol.

We have a ton of media here from TLF.

Just sent out a triton and a new ICP test we have that's half the price to compare. They're also in the US with next day turn around after receiving. Going to post comparisons so if you do this routinely might be of interest.

iTzJu

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Nice. I use remag and reborn. Love it. Had neomag once and it had all kinds of weird rocks. One day I will disolve them in acid and run a triton to see what they were. I'm PARANOID about my reactor media.

I do a old school new school mix. pH controller with Tunze feed pump, and run drip by a valve. I measure effluent alk, and base it off what part one is as a ratio, measure drip volume over 5-10 minute, and then calculate drip rate per day like a doser. To start. Then i eyeball it lol.

We have a ton of media here from TLF.

Just sent out a triton and a new ICP test we have that's half the price to compare. They're also in the US with next day turn around after receiving. Going to post comparisons so if you do this routinely might be of interest.

I have actually noticed some of those rocks before! lol I definitely left them out. I'm going to try out remag this time around. neomag always seemed like it never really truly dissolved. lol

which cal reactor do you use? I have an Aquamaxx for the 80 gal but I'm looking at some Geo's lol

keep me updated on the ICP results, definitely interested if they cost about half the price of Triton.

iTzJu

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
I got my first order from @Philadelphia Aquatics and top notch packaging! UPS Ground delivered later than expected but that's not at all their fault. I only ordered some basic softies for the fuge and an interstellar mushroom. Shipment came in a Styrofoam container, double bagged, sealed, all in specimen cups and heat pack. These guys know how to pack and just unbelievable they offer the shipping option for an affordable price for their local customers.

iTzJu

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Not sure what is going on with UPS lately, late delivery last night and now, they apparently lost my calcium reactor that was coming in. :mad_new:

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Not sure what is going on with UPS lately, late delivery last night and now, they apparently lost my calcium reactor that was coming in. :mad_new:

That sucks. I have found it is totally region for those things. FedEx down near me is amazing and UPS is garbage, however I have had multiple people tell me it is the opposite in their area. Hopefully you get it soon or at least the shipper had insurance.

iTzJu

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member

That sucks. I have found it is totally region for those things. FedEx down near me is amazing and UPS is garbage, however I have had multiple people tell me it is the opposite in their area. Hopefully you get it soon or at least the shipper had insurance.

Yes, definitely not happy. I had a few shipments coming in today so hopefully this was just left in the truck by mistake, UPS is looking into the matter now, hopefully it's found and delivered today or tomorrow. I can tolerate a delay, hopefully it hasn't really been lost.

Yes, definitely not happy. I had a few shipments coming in today so hopefully this was just left in the truck by mistake, UPS is looking into the matter now, hopefully it's found and delivered today or tomorrow. I can tolerate a delay, hopefully it hasn't really been lost.
Fingers crossed.

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
System looks great and good luck with the grow outs.
I keep trying to grow stuff out then get lazy and throw frags into the rocks.
For example, had Rastas and Utter Chaos on racks, figured I grow a few and sell them to buy other corals (or trade).
Got bored with worrying about them, thew them in rocks, now they're like weeds in the tank. Same with Sunny Ds.
Hopefully you have the patience I don't and have the results I did.

iTzJu

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
pretty bust this week but got in pretty late last night but still finished filling the tank and got the salinity up to 35ppt. Threw in the marinepure balls, tim's one and only and some ammonia to get it kick started.

will start moving some corals i have in a temp tank to the new tank by middle of next week.

iTzJu

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
After a late night, resulting in lots of coffee this morning.

I got everything moved over. going to monitor the corals I have in there this week and the parameters but we should be all good! next up, put in the Apex jr. and cal reactor. oh, and wire management! lol

Attachments

• 20180408_215221.jpg
    20180408_215221.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 38