• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

"Japanese style" aquascaped and/or 'minimalist' reef tanks

all pics courtesy from various sites, owner's names are included where applicable

1e-1.jpg

Leonardo's lagoon:

lagoonweb.jpg

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1421368&perpage=25&pagenumber=22

Bomber's:
BombersFT.jpg

Japanese tank thread:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=428375&highlight=japanese+reef+tanks

I'm thinking of reducing my rock again and keeping just the acros now....

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
What makes that tank is the gorgeous piece of live rock. I guess I just have to get a tank big enough to fit that piece, and than find that piece.

harryk said:
wow that last tanks rockwork is amazing

Rockwork like that is easily achieved using Zipties, Acrylic rods and some quick setting cement (thorite or waterplug)

I am in the process of thinking/designing and then creating something similar to that design to reduce the amount of liverock I have in the system.

Reducing the liverock in the system would hopefully reduce the amount of detritus accumulating in the system and would give more room for the corals to grow larger. The downside is the number of corals I would be able to keep. Less rock surface for mounting means less coral. It kinda works both ways. I plan on only keeping 5-10 colonies after I get done. 10 colonies that should hopefully be nice and large, all showpieces :)

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
concept3 said:
Reducing the liverock in the system would hopefully reduce the amount of detritus accumulating in the system.....

First off I really like the look of these tanks....they look awesome

As far at the less rock-less detritus comment - isn’t this a catch 22 in that less rock also means less bacteria to breakdown this detritus.

redfishbluefish said:
concept3 said:
Reducing the liverock in the system would hopefully reduce the amount of detritus accumulating in the system.....

First off I really like the look of these tanks....they look awesome

As far at the less rock-less detritus comment - isn’t this a catch 22 in that less rock also means less bacteria to breakdown this detritus.

Ahhhh! someone caught on, nice job! Less rock in the display, more rock in the sump!

Merve the only difference between your tank and there's, is the back glass. I guarantee you that if you scrape the coraline off the back glass and have a black backing, it will be night and day. You will rethink about removing more rock from the DT. I bet some people can't tell that you have rocks attached to the back glass with magnets.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Merv I would be very interested in seeing a thread on putting together some rock work like that. I am not very handy, but I can learn for something as beautiful as that.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
There was an article in coral magazine about a guy with a tank like this. He has a 55 gallon with 8 pounds of live rock. The tank is full of all different types of coral (like 100 kinds) and a bunch of fish. He runs a NeoZeo system to keep it clean. The tank is gorgeous.

And I will search for that thread.

8 pounds in the display right? (implication is that all the LR is in the sump - like crazy4acros' tank). Or he had a deep sand bed (remote and in display) - otherwise I don't see how you maintain a 55 with a bunch of fish without some way to provide a medium for the bacteria to survive.

Hawkeye said:
8 pounds in the display right? (implication is that all the LR is in the sump - like crazy4acros' tank). Or he had a deep sand bed (remote and in display) - otherwise I don't see how you maintain a 55 with a bunch of fish without some way to provide a medium for the bacteria to survive.

Bacteria grow in the water column as well, on the glass, every surface area they can proliferate. Aerobic for the glass, water column and oxygen rich surfaces, Anaerobic within the available liverock, or where water flow is less. Adding bacteria via prodibio and zeo regimens will account for the bacteria population via supplementation. The sump can harness both if there is sand or liverock in it.

mnat- search for that thread buddy- I'd like to take a look too. I'm not doing anything Sun/Mon, I may reduce my rocks then, maybe next week, who knows? Still thinking. I'll be posting up my huge caps and milli in the for sale thread if I decide to do so in the near future.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Less rock in the display-less detritus in the display. More rock in the sump... more detritus in the sump. I've been down that road and I'm not impressed with it!

Anyone need 100# of rock?

concept3 said:
Hawkeye said:

Bacteria grow in the water column as well, on the glass, every surface area they can proliferate. Aerobic for the glass, water column and oxygen rich surfaces, Anaerobic within the available liverock, or where water flow is less. Adding bacteria via prodibio and zeo regimens will account for the bacteria population via supplementation. The sump can harness both if there is sand or liverock in it.

mnat- search for that thread buddy- I'd like to take a look too. I'm not doing anything Sun/Mon, I may reduce my rocks then, maybe next week, who knows? Still thinking. I'll be posting up my huge caps and milli in the for sale thread if I decide to do so in the near future.

So then you could run a frag tank not attached to anything - just dosing prodibio/zeo to make up the bac? Sorry not familiar with either regimen. Because I would love to remove more LR...