• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

"Japanese style" aquascaped and/or 'minimalist' reef tanks

Lord Viper said:
I would rather it all sitting on a minimum of branches and not set on the floor. Just my opinion.

See, what I do like about this approach is the large open area with a black background really shows off large colorful fish like those tangs! ;)

Merv
Have you tried a rendering of your existing tank with a black background and no frags on the bottom?
For me the frags are very distracting and draw my eye right to them. I think if you moved the frags that orange cap would be the focal point as it should. Then consider placing a coral of a complimentary color to the orange cap in the lower left. I really like how your current composition builds from lower left to upper center with the caps. The lack of corals directly below the caps reinforces the sweeping arch.

I would also remove that tabling acro in the upper right, the form is too similar to the caps. I would consider something with a different growth habit or maybe rework that whole right side bommie.

jceli728 said:
Merv,

It has a very clean look but, I much rather see it with rocks. Will you be putting all the rock in your sump or completely get rid of it?

I am also contemplating on reducing half the rock to give the fish a sense of security within the tank. A nice open space would be nice, and I may be forced to remove one of my two large efflos to create a more open space on the right. I will be placing all the rock that is removed into the sump to help in filtration, instead of getting rid of it completely.

Jcurry@wesketch said:
Merv
Have you tried a rendering of your existing tank with a black background and no frags on the bottom?
........... Then consider placing a coral of a complimentary color to the orange cap in the lower left. I really like how your current composition builds from lower left to upper center with the caps. The lack of corals directly below the caps reinforces the sweeping arch.

I would also remove that tabling acro in the upper right, the form is too similar to the caps. I would consider something with a different growth habit or maybe rework that whole right side bommie.

Great observations jeff- what an architect! :D The reason why I can't get anything to grow underneath the arch is because of no light. It is stark-dark down there, even softies don't make it. (One of the reasons why the caps may have to go).....

I actually have pics of the tank without the frags in the front and it almost Zen like. One thing that I wish I had accounted for was the back glass cleaning. My current rock setup partially uses the rear glass as support................As far as the frags- Believe it or not, they are from accidental fragging of my corals during siphoning sessions. The main colonies are really fighting for space now, while it is pretty cool with the formations they create growing into each other, some of the corals don't survive the warfare (like small frags of torts, echinatas, in between etc).... All those frags in the bottom are patiently waiting new homes- whoever wants to come down South obviously!

....and I have plans for the right Bommie- don't worry :)