• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Jay's tank thread

jmags080307

SPS Grow Out Winner
came home and my ATO (have the nano smart ATO) had dumped in all 4 gallons of RODI/kalk that i mixed this morning. i only mix 1 tablespoon to 4 gallons so luckily my alk didn't spike to high. i'm sure it spiked in the morning but when i got home it was at 7.7 and that's right around where i keep it. now my salinity dropped from 1.026 to 1.024. i drained 2 gallons out and will let the remaining 2 naturally evaportate to bring my salinity back up. i'll hook my spare doser up to dose alk over the next 2 days to maintain levels. everything looks fine at this point. i'm shocked my alk didn't spike higher. anything i'm missing or should watch out for?

came home and my ATO (have the nano smart ATO) had dumped in all 4 gallons of RODI/kalk that i mixed this morning. i only mix 1 tablespoon to 4 gallons so luckily my alk didn't spike to high. i'm sure it spiked in the morning but when i got home it was at 7.7 and that's right around where i keep it. now my salinity dropped from 1.026 to 1.024. i drained 2 gallons out and will let the remaining 2 naturally evaportate to bring my salinity back up. i'll hook my spare doser up to dose alk over the next 2 days to maintain levels. everything looks fine at this point. i'm shocked my alk didn't spike higher. anything i'm missing or should watch out for?
Kalk will spike your calcium more than your Alk, sounds like your strategy is right on point. Probably test your calcium and see what that did, and make sure your mag stays stable. That has a big impact on your alk/calcium balance.

Thought I'd try to work through this. Based on a 55 gallon total volume guess (one full Tbsp is 8 grams of kalk - just measured to see on our scale) so that would've only bumped your calcium 27 ppm and your dKh by 0.6 ish assuming complete conversion. Sounds like your kalk strategy has you in a safe zone for moments like this.

Your tank looks awesome! Nice setup.

jmags080307

SPS Grow Out Winner
Kalk will spike your calcium more than your Alk, sounds like your strategy is right on point. Probably test your calcium and see what that did, and make sure your mag stays stable. That has a big impact on your alk/calcium balance.

Thought I'd try to work through this. Based on a 55 gallon total volume guess (one full Tbsp is 8 grams of kalk - just measured to see on our scale) so that would've only bumped your calcium 27 ppm and your dKh by 0.6 ish assuming complete conversion. Sounds like your kalk strategy has you in a safe zone for moments like this.

Your tank looks awesome! Nice setup.
Thanks! Calcium is up to 460 and is usually stable around 435. Magnesium was at 1210.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Pretty good guess ;) I doubt you'll have any repercussions. If it were more concentrated the pH swing we be the worst part.

IMHO that's a little low for mag, but consistency is better. I run 1350-1450 that way there's always room for error. At 1210 drops in mag will be detrimental vs. leaving some buffer room.

jmags080307

SPS Grow Out Winner
Got the apex set up. Now I just clean up my wires . Just the temp and ph probes right now.
1bb105566ca9d2a05a8ff05dc7c80b26.jpg
b1833b66268fdbf794627339cf4db1db.jpg

jmags080307

SPS Grow Out Winner
Picked this up as a JF grafted monti about 2 months ago. Always thought grafted meant multi color? Seems like maybe there's a hint of red coming in on the side.
d5733a973e49c523608fa338791dcd78.jpg

etmanning1

NJRC Member
Zoas Grow Out Winner
Yes grafted means two different pieces were successfully integrated and the resulting piece will grow to show traits of both species. Hopefully it'll start showing some better colors soon!

Oh also thanks so much again for those frags, I was already able to break off a piece of that birdsnest to share with @Haus and some of the Monti is going to @Mrx haha. Everything is looking great!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Eric, thanks so much for the birds nest frag and the leather cutting. You’re a great asset to the club, starting the grow out and building relationships with a lot of members here. Thanks bud!

etmanning1

NJRC Member
Zoas Grow Out Winner
Eric, thanks so much for the birds nest frag and the leather cutting. You’re a great asset to the club, starting the grow out and building relationships with a lot of members here. Thanks bud!

No problem, how’re they doing? My leather just opened back up today. Is yours extending yet?

This thread needs more pics!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jmags080307

SPS Grow Out Winner
No problem, how’re they doing? My leather just opened back up today. Is yours extending yet?

This thread needs more pics!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Glad to hear they're doing good. If I knew @Haus wanted a birdsnest frag I would have cur a seperate one for hin!