• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Jersey reefers help !!!

Hello so I’ve had no luck with Aussie gold torches. I have had 2 so far one has died and the one I currently have is looking terrible. I think it might be brown jelly. Any NJ reefers think they can help me. All my other corals are thriving and I have a lot. My other euphillia are doing awesome. At this point I would even consider someone close taking it off my hands growing it out and once it splits you can take a head. I just don’t want to lose it.

Theres alot of details we need. First how long have they been in the tank. Second tell us about your tank equipment lighting. Also latest water chemistry

Hello so I’ve had no luck with Aussie gold torches. I have had 2 so far one has died and the one I currently have is looking terrible. I think it might be brown jelly. Any NJ reefers think they can help me. All my other corals are thriving and I have a lot. My other euphillia are doing awesome. At this point I would even consider someone close taking it off my hands growing it out and once it splits you can take a head. I just don’t want to lose it.
Where are you located

Fluval Evo 13.5 running AI Prime Hd lights BRS AB+ spectrum. Running chemi pure nano. Have a refugium in back chamber also. Dosing kalk in ato while also dosing esv 2 part daily. Parameters are all steady and have been. Alk 9.0 cal 425 mag 1320. No3 5ppm po4 0.1 temp 78 79.

Take a picture of the tank and a picture of the coral that shows the coral and a good reference of its area In the tank and surroundings

7 months old, but took some mature live rock and sand from other rank so it’s a mature system. Torch is only 2 weeks. When purchase found flat worm in bag. Can’t see any on torch and dipped 2 times. Nothing else ever came off or indicated there are more worms and it’s was a white flat worm not red or brown.

If that's were they have always been in the tank since purchase, they aren't getting stung and the light is fine. I dont know about water flow but that can be part of the issue though I dont think so at this point. My guess would be parasites I would remove to coral and if you have a small isolation tank treat it and watch it in there.. or unfortunately chuck it incase it infects other corals in a rather loose one then many move.
Torches in comparison to hammers and frog spawn or considered more difficult in the aspect of getting them happy and in the right environment. If possible put the torch in a clear glass of salt water so you can remove it with out agitating it enough to fully close if possible. Then get a magnifying glass and exam the base and rim were the flesh meets the skeleton. Look for signs of pest or rot if the skin is separating from the skeleton this is called spontaneous polyp drop off it's a means of sorts trying to save its self in the wild they have successfully done this in our tanks less then 1 percent survive

That’s exactly what it looks like the flesh is rotting away. I had to turn down flow because it would blow right off nasty stuff. I have a dragon soul torch that is doing amazing growing like a madman. If that’s what it is I do not want to infect my other torch.

At the very least. You definitely should isolate it. Based on your other success and the condition of the rest of your tank it sounds to me like some sort of pest or disease is attacking that torch. You said this is your second one. Did the first one came from the same place?

I know torches are technically considered more delicate then It’s kin. But I think there’s a considerable difference between a difficult coral and a coral that is more difficult than others in its group. Torches compared to other much more difficult coral should thrive in a tank with your Parameters. I’d even say they are somewhat more forgiving of parameters that stray I suspect it’s your source.

Yea I personally think they just don’t ship good at all. I mean even my sps is thriving and growing. I may dip it again and then isolate it see if I can see anything. I may even saw off the part that is dying maybe that will stop whatever it is from spreading and heal itself.

eholceker

NJRC Member
Brown jelly disease can be infectious. Once a coral is infected any heads that are not affected need to be fragged immediately. After fragging it needs to go through an iodine dip. Wish I had better news for you. Be super careful when pulling out of your tank and make sure the jelly parts dont spread around the tank. IME alk swings are one of the primary causes.

what’s your take on this @Jeremy Brito
Do you see the tiny holes in the tips of the polyps.
sorry it took me so long to get back I had to go to work. those holes to me look like something has been eating them. possibly Nudibrancs (idk if I spelled that right) sea slugs small ones, or parasitic worms. what ever it is its not safe for the rest of your tank and I honestly in my opinion would not take any risks and would begin sweeping the tank to ensure if anything came in with the frags it did not transfer to another coral. At the first sign of any coral not looking normal I would be concerned and take immediate action. What ever it is needs to be hunted down quickly and isolated/killed